Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

Maudlin…does anyone experience this, while thinking about their partners or others. I tend to do this every Sunday evening after we’ve had our Sunday meal and I’m left sitting at the dining table with a bottle of red and watching YouTube songs that are a direct reminder of my wife as she was. It’s pure self pity and I’m not proud of it, but it usually results in me playing oldish music and my wife and I dancing together. I suppose this is the true definition of maudlin….
I tend to listen to music on a Sunday evening and take a trip down memory lane. I pick songs which remind me of loved ones, and past experiences. Quite a mix, anything from Slim Whitman (memories of my Dad), Red Sails in the Sunset which my Grandad used to sing on trips back from the seaside to I feel Good by James Brown which was played when we returned home from Wembley after Posh had won in 1992 and the acoustic version of Z Cars. Far from being maudlin I think it’s lovely that you and your wife are able to share this time together.

I did a week as a volunteer at the Durham Book Festival some years ago. Bear with me, this will become relevant soon. One of my jobs was being in charge of the roving mic for an evening with Dennis Skinner ( I love the man - I know he's not your taste @peteblue) It was a brilliant night.At one point he talked about his Mum who was always singing when she did her household chores when he was a child. Years later his Mum developed dementia and was in a nursing home. She didn't recognise anybody. Dennis decided to sing one of the songs she used to sing to her. To his amazement she joined in with him, remembering all the words. That became the pattern of his visits with her. They would sing together. It was a truly beautiful story.
I love Dennis Skinner too, also the late Tony Benn would love to have met either of them.

Yes I have been to the big meeting Ange, but my personal favourite gathering was always The Tolpuddle Martyrs Festival weekend in Dorset. I haven't been for a few years now (since covid) but used to go every year for many, many years. That I definitely recommend. ;)
I regularly correspond with a distant cousin who is related to James Hammett (although not directly) on another branch of her family tree. She attends Martyrs’ Day and the the wreath laying at the Hammett grave every year. Would love to go but not easy to get to from here.

Yes I have been to the big meeting Ange, but my personal favourite gathering was always The Tolpuddle Martyrs Festival weekend in Dorset. I haven't been for a few years now (since covid) but used to go every year for many, many years. That I definitely recommend. ;)
Never been to the Tolpuddle Martyrs Festival. Would very much like to. The Land Registry had an office in Weymouth and the union reps there were always inviting the rest of us to go but we never got round to it. I will one day.

I regularly correspond with a distant cousin who is related to James Hammett (although not directly) on another branch of her family tree. She attends Martyrs’ Day and the the wreath laying at the Hammett grave every year. Would love to go but not easy to get to from here.
If you ever do go, try to book for the full weekend rather than just the parade/wreath laying. It's always a cracking Fri, Sat, Sun festival and usually fantastic weather in July. ;)

I tend to listen to music on a Sunday evening and take a trip down memory lane. I pick songs which remind me of loved ones, and past experiences. Quite a mix, anything from Slim Whitman (memories of my Dad), Red Sails in the Sunset which my Grandad used to sing on trips back from the seaside to I feel Good by James Brown which was played when we returned home from Wembley after Posh had won in 1992 and the acoustic version of Z Cars. Far from being maudlin I think it’s lovely that you and your wife are able to share this time together.

I suppose it’s therapeutic in a way, it always brings tears, but I’ll continue…..

Just back from a swift half at the pub. Very quiet, but Turkey was there, as per. A lovely fella. Passed on his garage business to his lads, enjoying his semi retirement, and the two of us just nattered about how life has turned out. The world is full of good people.

Might have a garden party for our post code later in the year. A few trestle tables, get a barrel of ale from the pub, (same post code), BBQ on tap. Kids, (there is one), and pets welcome. No driving, could be fun.

On my way….

I had a lovely unexpected lunch out with one of my work mates who messaged me and asked if I fancied meeting up. This is the third time in two weeks that random friends have called, taken me out for lunch snd paid as well. There are some good kind people in this world. In fact, there are lots of them.

Most people are nice people, I can’t remember the last time I met a bad un…probably 50 years ago…..

Just back from a swift half at the pub. Very quiet, but Turkey was there, as per. A lovely fella. Passed on his garage business to his lads, enjoying his semi retirement, and the two of us just nattered about how life has turned out. The world is full of good people.

Might have a garden party for our post code later in the year. A few trestle tables, get a barrel of ale from the pub, (same post code), BBQ on tap. Kids, (there is one), and pets welcome. No driving, could be fun.
Roydo, from where in KK does your BIL hail?

I have been a Dub in exile here for over 33 years - love the place and the people, but just do NOT try and talk about hurling to them. They are not called the Cats without reason!! lol

Good morning all on this overcast day here in Finland ,I hope all had a good night and are well to face the day ,a bit overpowering this week waiting for the Sunday game . I am happy that we have the points over the others but still worried ,one mistake could make a heck of a difference COYB
I don’t think I have had a good nights sleep all week! A series of stressful scenarios running amok in my dreams, all presumably stemming from Everton’s position.

I always enjoyed early morning walking but particularly now just to get moving and distracted.

Yet another glorious sunny day here.

Look after mum , gym , gardening and then try out the new loungers that arrived yesterday.

Lots of watering in the evening.

Trying ( and failing ) not to think about Everton's plight too much. What will be will be and apart from those going ( glad I'm not , the tension would be too much) and fully supporting the team there's nothing that we can do to influence matters on Sunday ..................................unless you are a guru of Uri Geller - now where's that bloody spoon I was practicing on , time for Mrs J's breakfast.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back