Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

Chilli it is lol

what a pain in the butt madam has been this morning, couldn't wait to get home.
Have you ever considered making your own chilli from scratch rather than buy a shop version T?. You can easily make enough for 3 or 4 meals and freeze some. I guarantee it would be far nicer than the shop stuff and much more cost effective too. You would need to invest in some fresh spices, but they aren't overly expensive and it may encourage you to cook other meals from scratch like curries etc. It's not for everyone but I love it now. Sling on your favourite music as loud as you like and just go for it. Music and cooking (and in my case alcohol) are good for the soul T.;)

Here's my chilli recipe from the Sassy thread.
By popular demand, well from Sassy anyway, here's my chilli recipe. I use 500g low fat steak mince, but it would work equally well with diced braising/stewing steak which you probably use over in the US. This will serve 4, or 3 large portions in my case.

I use a large saucepan. Adding about 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil on medium heat fry a chopped small onion until soft. Add a handful of dried red chillies and fry for another couple of minutes, then add 3 or 4 chopped medium fresh chillies, removing the seeds if you don't want it hobs of hell. Fry for another couple of minutes, stirring all the time, then turn temp down to low and add 3/4 cloves of garlic crushed. Stir fry until garlic is lightly browned and then add the spices. 1 tsp of ground cumin, 1 tsp of ground coriander and 3/4 tsp of ground chilli. (1 tsp if you like it really hot). Mix the ground spices well with the other ingredients and fry for 3 or 4 minutes over low heat.

Turn the heat up to medium again and add the steak mince making sure it is well mixed with the other ingredients, and stirred regularly so that all the meat browns. At this stage add a mugful of hot beef stock, a large tin of chopped tomatoes, a tablespoon of tomato puree, 2 or 3 tsp of sugar, handful of dried Italian herbs, a dash of cider vinegar and a few slugs of good quality red wine. Season with salt and pepper, taste and adjust seasoning if required.

Cover and simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes or so. Add half a chopped pepper (red or green) and 250g of diced brown button mushrooms, Then add a tablespoon of paprika (NOT the smoked variety as this dramatically alters the taste as I discovered once) and cover and simmer for another 10 minutes. Check the density of the gravy. It will possibly be too thin as sometimes the mushrooms have a lot of water content. If so, remove the saucepan lid and continue to cook uncovered. After about 30/40 minutes of simmering in total, add a small tin of red kidney beans rinsed and stir in. Simmer for another 10 minutes or so then it should be ready to eat.

I like mine with lots of grated fresh parmesan over and served with boiled brown rice, but you can add sour cream if that's your bag. I like hot spicy food and this is made to my taste.

Right, I'm just off to cook it now. Just need to open a large bottle of San Miguel and put an 80s playlist on my CD ;)

Have you ever considered making your own chilli from scratch rather than buy a shop version T?. You can easily make enough for 3 or 4 meals and freeze some. I guarantee it would be far nicer than the shop stuff and much more cost effective too. You would need to invest in some fresh spices, but they aren't overly expensive and it may encourage you to cook other meals from scratch like curries etc. It's not for everyone but I love it now. Sling on your favourite music as loud as you like and just go for it. Music and cooking (and in my case alcohol) are good for the soul T.;)

I have made chilli before and it was lovely, I just don't have the ingredients at the minute apart from mince.

Morning everyone. Another beautiful day down here. Been busy this morning. Cleaned the bedding from one of the spare bedrooms (yeah i know it's taken me 2 months Blue but I've had no visitors) and mowed the daisies as there a green waste collection tomorrow. The difference it makes when you mow them reularly rather than waiting for a month or so. Only took me 10 minutes.

Decided to have another barbie later and before that go for a nice walk. Think I'll take the wooded valley walk down to Maenporth Beach and come back via the coastal path to the church and back through the village. It's probably about 5 miles in total and it won't be easy as about 2 of those miles will be along the coastal path. Should get some nice pics though if my phone is behaving. It's playing up with the storage again so I've decided to bite the bullet and get a new one. Hope you all have a good day.

Oh, in case you haven't already realised my hangover has completely gone. Couldn't have been a bad one as they can last days.:)

I can vouch for this recipe. It makes for great chilli.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back