Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

Good morning all. So lovely to read all the sincere warm hearted tributes to Messy. This morning has (and still is) working - last overtime before Christmas - with a break for a gym session with the PT. I may have mentioned this before but I have the coordination of a slightly bevvied octopus. Today we used two machines. one for your adductors and one for your abductors. I haven't had my legs that wide apart since I gave birth! Dear God, just getting on them was a challenge. My PT, who is very sweet, shrugged and said "just like a swan". Cheeky beggar!
Foggy and miserable oop north today.
Glad you had a good night Jazzy. It is very worrying about the current COVID situation but you've taken all reasonable precautions. Also hope the dog gets good news.

Not sure what to do this afternoon. I've got two presents to wrap, could do them and then just veg out watching telly. I've been told I have to watch something on Netflix called 14 Peaks a documentary about a former Gurkha who climbs the 14 highest mountains in the world and is very good even if your mountain climbing is limited to school trips to Moel Famau.

Have a good day all. X

Last edited:
Morning all, I hope everyone is okay after yesterday’s sad news, I was out for a pre arranged drink in the town with an old pal, it was a little subdued I must admit.
This thread has now been openly discussed and it's good that everyone is agreeable to it continuing and I also noticed there's a few of our friends who are not regulars who popped into pay their respects to Karl which was really nice.
Hope everyone has a good weekend, comforting to know we will be here for each other should the need arise.

Good morning mascoteers.
Well back in Spain …. Unexpected but a lovely pleasure … I’m fond of my hone and it’s comforts …
My new urology consultant in Manchester needs to get a flack jacket though because my beautiful but scarily efficient daughter is on his case …. he seems to have annoyed her by not taking seriously the losing of some of my records in a transfer if my case from one hospital to another
I feel for him I really do
The world seems strange today knowing Karl won’t be reading these morning ramblings but I for one will continue … sharing is nice here
fandjango, your lovely daughter sounds like a clone of my daughters. They seem to get things done when we have given up trying! What would we do without them?!

Good morning all. So lovely to read all the sincere warm hearted tributes to Messy. This morning has (and still is) working - last overtime before Christmas - with a break for a gym session with the PT. I may have mentioned this before but I have the coordination of a slightly bevvied octopus. Today we used two machines. one for your adductors and one for your abductors. I haven't had my legs that wide apart since I gave birth! Dear God, just getting on them was a challenge. My PT, who is very sweet, shrugged and said "just like a swan". Cheeky beggar!
Foggy and miserable oop north today.
Glad you had a good night Jazzy. It is very worrying about the current COVID situation but you've taken all reasonable precautions. Also hope the dog gets good news.

Not sure what to do this afternoon. I've got two presents to wrap, could do them and then just veg out watching telly. I've been told I have to watch something on Netflix called 14 Peaks a documentary about a former Gurkha who climbs the 14 highest mountains in the world and is very good even if your mountain climbing is limited to school trips to Moel Famau.

Have a good day all. X
That's very good and well worth a watch. Anything to do with the Gurkhas is usually very interesting, there is a good documentary on youtube about the selection process they go through, they are proper warriors like no other. You should check out the story of Sgt Dipprasud Pun, he is a Gurkha who took on and defeated about 30 Taliban soldiers with just a few grenades and a rifle all by himself.

That's very good and well worth a watch. Anything to do with the Gurkhas is usually very interesting, there is a good documentary on youtube about the selection process they go through, they are proper warriors like no other. You should check out the story of Sgt Dipprasud Pun, he is a Gurkha who took on and defeated about 30 Taliban soldiers with just a few grenades and a rifle all by himself.
Thanks.I will definitely watch it. I was told that the person who climbed the mountains was the first Gurkha to be accepted into the SAS.

When I served in Malaya (1950's) I played football against the Gurkhas. Physically, we were a bigger side, but we didn't give too many fouls away. The last thing you need in opposition is an upset Gurkha!

I feel I should write something but I have said it all whilst he was still with us .
I don't know why I feel the way I do ,is it because I have kids his age ,is it because when one of us dies it makes us realise that one day it is going to be our turn ?
I don't have an answer but I can say , I have given it time and thought and I am sure Karl had more of an impression on me than anyone that I have never had the pleasure of meeting ,I was in awe of his bravery and will never forget him for the haven he created here . I have no idea what his aim in life was but I am sure he has many more admirers than most and we will always remember him.

Good afternoon fellow Blues. I have continued reading through the tributes Karl has been receiving on his thread since his departure (thankfully the WiFi is finally working right) and it is comforting to hear the many posters that were keeping an eye on him even if they didn’t post regularly. It seems Karl touched and inspired many more people than he probably thought possible. I also went back and read some of his previous post and got a good chuckle at some of his comments. Even during the toughest moments his sense of humour lightened up the mood and our fears about his health. That was his personality, making others feel better even when he was the one dealing with his own reality. What a beautiful soul he was and one that will be missed greatly.

Unlike some of you I didn’t have the opportunity to raise my glass yesterday in Karl’s honour as I was feeling quite sick last night. I got bitten all over my left foot by red ants that caused a bit of swollen but mostly a feeling of discomfort throughout my whole body, plus the news of Karl passing didn’t help either. Fortunately, I’m feeling better this morning and we are getting ready to enjoy another day in paradise. I hope everyone has a lovely Saturday. I appreciate you all! Xx

I feel I should write something but I have said it all whilst he was still with us .
I don't know why I feel the way I do ,is it because I have kids his age ,is it because when one of us dies it makes us realise that one day it is going to be our turn ?
I don't have an answer but I can say , I have given it time and thought and I am sure Karl had more of an impression on me than anyone that I have never had the pleasure of meeting ,I was in awe of his bravery and will never forget him for the haven he created here . I have no idea what his aim in life was but I am sure he has many more admirers than most and we will always remember him.
lovely , blue

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back