Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

As I mentioned earlier, I had some more sad news last night. During the meal I received a phone call from a friend in Liverpool, advising me that an old friend of ours has had a heart attack whilst playing golf. He was apparently resuscitated but had been without oxygen for a long time, and the family have been told to expect the worst. He's about 15 years older than me but I've known him for about 45 years.
2021 has turned into the year that just carries on taking and taking. I can't wait for it to end.
Me too; not been the best year I've ever had

Good morning everybody. Hope you are all OK. I'm still sad about Messy. I'm sure that given his sunny nature and positivity he has already made friends with the angels and will be spreading the word up there about Everton. A few miracles wouldn't go amiss.
@Barnfred 55 I learned a new word on Friday. Lalochezia. It means the relief of stress and/ or pain by using profanities. Comes from the Greek lalo- to talk and Chezia - to relieve. Some sources have chezia to mean defecate. Literally Greek for talking sh*t!! So I have concluded that I am not foul- mouthed, I have a PhD in lalochezia ? ? .

Have a good day folks!
So you are not foul mouthed. You are just talking sh#t. Hmmm. lol

As I mentioned earlier, I had some more sad news last night. During the meal I received a phone call from a friend in Liverpool, advising me that an old friend of ours has had a heart attack whilst playing golf. He was apparently resuscitated but had been without oxygen for a long time, and the family have been told to expect the worst. He's about 15 years older than me but I've known him for about 45 years. He used to manage the amateur football team I played for back in the day, and I served with him on the club committee for 25 years, he as chairman and me as treasurer. The club folded over 10 year ago but we remained good friends. As is often the case we didn't see each other as often as we should, but whenever we did meet up it was always business as usual. He was a very successful businessman but never lost sight of his roots. He has also been very generous to those not as fortunate as him. Basically he's one of the good guys and was one of the first to call me after Cal's death.

I phoned his wife last night after my guests left, and things don't look good. He has been put in an induced coma. The one positive is that scans of his brain show it to still be active, but 2 attempts to bring him out of the coma have resulted in him fitting. He has been on drugs they use to treat epilepsy and they are going to try one more time before taking him off life support. So unless there is a miracle he probably only has a couple of days. It doesn't help that she has been told that she can't be with him due to covid. Life just isn't fair is it?

2021 has turned into the year that just carries on taking and taking. I can't wait for it to end.
Oh Fred, that's really sad. As others have said, where there is life there is hope. So keep hoping. Your emotions must be all over the place. Sending love to you x

You may know my friend. I think you're a few years older than me. He is in his mid 70s. When did you leave Speke Degsy?
Leave?, god no, I never lived there, awful place. I'm a Garston lad through and through, just worked there, drank there - just joking.
I mightn't have been born there but I got there as soon as I could. One of my earliest memories is being at my aunts house in Western Ave.
I 'left' on a day to day basis in 1973, married a Speke girl...the 3 day week, etc. we followed the work
Pretty much severed our last ties when the mother in law died in 2014.
None of the family live there now, all scattered to the 4 winds.
I'm sorry to hear about your Friend, but I dont think I know him.
What was the name of the Team, it might ring a bell.

Leave?, god no, I never lived there, awful place. I'm a Garston lad through and through, just worked there, drank there - just joking.
I mightn't have been born there but I got there as soon as I could. One of my earliest memories is being at my aunts house in Western Ave.
I 'left' on a day to day basis in 1973, married a Speke girl...the 3 day week, etc. we followed the work
Pretty much severed our last ties when the mother in law died in 2014.
None of the family live there now, all scattered to the 4 winds.
I'm sorry to hear about your Friend, but I dont think I know him.
What was the name of the Team, it might ring a bell.
Ah right. From your previous post I thought you were from Speke. Typical Garston lad though, raiding Speke for the best looking girls. ;)

You may not know the team seeing as you moved away so early . It started off as the Pegasus around 1970 and changed it's name to Speke Town shortly afterwards. We always had close links with Garston and over the years had loads of Garston lads play for us, mainly from The Allerton or under the bridge. What part of Garston are you from?

Ah right. From your previous post I thought you were from Speke. Typical Garston lad though, raiding Speke for the best looking girls. ;)

You may not know the team seeing as you moved away so early . It started off as the Pegasus around 1970 and changed it's name to Speke Town shortly afterwards. We always had close links with Garston and over the years had loads of Garston lads play for us, mainly from The Allerton or under the bridge. What part of Garston are you from?
For a short time, there was a famous amateur football team called Pegasus. It was a combination of Oxford and Cambridge Uni's. They won the old FA Amateur Cup, I think in the 1950's. Were you ever mistaken for them. lol

For a short time, there was a famous amateur football team called Pegasus. It was a combination of Oxford and Cambridge Uni's. They won the old FA Amateur Cup, I think in the 1950's. Were you ever mistaken for them. lol
I doubt it very much. My next door neighbours son went to Camridge University. That's probably the only link you are likely to find between Speke and the combined Universities. ?

As I mentioned earlier, I had some more sad news last night. During the meal I received a phone call from a friend in Liverpool, advising me that an old friend of ours has had a heart attack whilst playing golf. He was apparently resuscitated but had been without oxygen for a long time, and the family have been told to expect the worst. He's about 15 years older than me but I've known him for about 45 years. He used to manage the amateur football team I played for back in the day, and I served with him on the club committee for 25 years, he as chairman and me as treasurer. The club folded over 10 year ago but we remained good friends. As is often the case we didn't see each other as often as we should, but whenever we did meet up it was always business as usual. He was a very successful businessman but never lost sight of his roots. He has also been very generous to those not as fortunate as him. Basically he's one of the good guys and was one of the first to call me after Cal's death.

I phoned his wife last night after my guests left, and things don't look good. He has been put in an induced coma. The one positive is that scans of his brain show it to still be active, but 2 attempts to bring him out of the coma have resulted in him fitting. He has been on drugs they use to treat epilepsy and they are going to try one more time before taking him off life support. So unless there is a miracle he probably only has a couple of days. It doesn't help that she has been told that she can't be with him due to covid. Life just isn't fair is it?

It doesn't rain but it pours Fred, sorry your friend and family are going through all that, I hope he pulls through and recovers.

I doubt it very much. My next door neighbours son went to Camridge University. That's probably the only link you are likely to find between Speke and the combined Universities. ?
We lived off Brodie Avenue when we were kids. Going to the baths in Speke was one of our favourite things. A proper adventure - completely unsupervised as was the norm in those days. Used to get the 80 bus and go there. Far superior to Garston Baths which we could walk to.

We lived off Brodie Avenue when we were kids. Going to the baths in Speke was one of our favourite things. A proper adventure - completely unsupervised as was the norm in those days. Used to get the 80 bus and go there. Far superior to Garston Baths which we could walk to.
Austin Rawlins baths was the one in Speke, still got my 50 yds certificate from there, from Speke comp

So sorry to hear that Fred.

Take care of yourself mate.

Sad to hear that mate.

I see you mentioned Oxygen. Over where i am people bought several small oxygen cannisters when covid was really spiking. So i did the same...probably about 1/2 a foot long, very light and seem to be easy to use (not needed to open one yet).

With all the covid, stress related and other major problems going on i think people would be wise to have one in the car / home etc...

...probably not something you would think to have in a golf buggy but perhaps in the bag or vice versa?

Anyway, something to think about and no doubt will be very cheap...probably £3-4 or something like that at most.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back