Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

As I mentioned earlier, I had some more sad news last night. During the meal I received a phone call from a friend in Liverpool, advising me that an old friend of ours has had a heart attack whilst playing golf. He was apparently resuscitated but had been without oxygen for a long time, and the family have been told to expect the worst. He's about 15 years older than me but I've known him for about 45 years. He used to manage the amateur football team I played for back in the day, and I served with him on the club committee for 25 years, he as chairman and me as treasurer. The club folded over 10 year ago but we remained good friends. As is often the case we didn't see each other as often as we should, but whenever we did meet up it was always business as usual. He was a very successful businessman but never lost sight of his roots. He has also been very generous to those not as fortunate as him. Basically he's one of the good guys and was one of the first to call me after Cal's death.

I phoned his wife last night after my guests left, and things don't look good. He has been put in an induced coma. The one positive is that scans of his brain show it to still be active, but 2 attempts to bring him out of the coma have resulted in him fitting. He has been on drugs they use to treat epilepsy and they are going to try one more time before taking him off life support. So unless there is a miracle he probably only has a couple of days. It doesn't help that she has been told that she can't be with him due to covid. Life just isn't fair is it?

2021 has turned into the year that just carries on taking and taking. I can't wait for it to end.
Really sorry to hear that. You are certainly going through the mill at the moment. Hope that your friend pulls through. ?

No, That was Belvedere. We were the convent ones who wore brown and gold! One bus stop further along the road towards town than St Hildas. Our school was sprawled across Ullet Road and had buildings backing onto Sefton Park and Princes Park. I knew a few girls who went to St Hildas, probably not in Cal's year - all either slightly older or slightly younger.
My grammar school uniform was brown and gold, absolutely hated it and hated the school even more. Vowed when I left I would never wear brown again!

My grammar school uniform was brown and gold, absolutely hated it and hated the school even more. Vowed when I left I would never wear brown again!
I totally get that. It took me decades to buy anything brown. I still avoid yellow/gold/ mustard like the plague. Reminds me too much of the uniform. Our summer dresses were yellow and white candy stripes matched with straw boaters. Awful.

Nice. When we didn’t have internet a few days ago at night we were watching movies that were stored here at the house and watched Iron Man and that was a good one too.
Iron Man is quality viewing.

We had a week away this summer at the beach and the house had no wifi. Hard for the kids at first but it is a good thing to drop off grid for a while and slow down a bit.

Board games were enjoyed that never would have been out of the box at home. TV shows became like family events to enjoy together (only had about 6 stations) and we planned out meals etc to be sitting down for them etc.

Can’t wait to do it again this summer, hopefully do a few weeks of that and just chill.

Loved your photos of Costa Rica, looks beautiful spider bites aside.

I totally get that. It took me decades to buy anything brown. I still avoid yellow/gold/ mustard like the plague. Reminds me too much of the uniform. Our summer dresses were yellow and white candy stripes matched with straw boaters. Awful.
Growing up in Colombia I also wore some hideous uniforms, ours was an aqua green dress with a belt, white socks to the knees with polished black shoes. I hated it then but now I look back and I really wish my daughter had a school uniform too. It just makes it easier to deal with instead of having to choose clothes every day for school.

We had yellow/gold dresses and straw boaters too. Also had to wear brown gymslip for the first two years.
Have you kept your promise? ;)
Yes. lol

Brown knickers too?
clint_ew.gif

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back