Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

Morning chums,

All been good so far today

First up the news we all want to hear , both girls now home in Southport and recovering well ❤️‍🩹.

Last night Mrs J brought me home a record from the charity shop. Well it won't surprise you to know that I'm very fussy when it comes to vinyl. Beatles Greatest Hits .....hmmm. Well I love the Beatles and have pretty much everything on CD but getting pristine Beatles vinyl is rare and expensive. And , this is a compilation that I've never come across. Anyway much to my amazement it's an original 1980 Parlaphone/ EMI release. After a couple of cleans it plays like new and sounds absolutely wonderful.

Already had a good cardio session and after I cook mum's lunch ( chicken curry - and not out of a packet) I will be off for an afternoons ping pong.

Have a lovely day everyone.

Morning all, nothing v exciting to report. Morning doing housework and this afternoon I’m off to see how son’s garden is progressing and have a good catch up with d-i-l. They had a midwife appointment yesterday and all was well. It’s just a waiting game now. Just deciding whether to sell my wedding shoes on vinted as although in my eyes they are a thing of beauty, the chances of me ever being able to walk in them again are slim to nil.
Have a lovely afternoon everyone 💙

Spent the morning cleaning the house as we are hosting three volunteers for Mary's Meals who are walking from Kilkenny to Knock Shrine Co Mayo about 135 miles. They start tomorrow and DV will meet walkers from 7 other locations around Ireland, with everyone arriving on 15 August.

The story of MM is heartwarming and some short films can be seen here. It was started by two young Scottish brothers who were moved by the horrific scenes of the 90s Balkan conflict. They drove out medical supplies and non perishable food to the worst affected.

Since then, the target beneficiaries are children who would not normally attend school due to family poverty. All food is locally sourced and cooked by volunteers at each school.

If you have time there are some short films here.

Administration costs are kept to a minimum, and MM now feed over 2.4 million children in 17 countries each school day.

Just St £19.15 or €22 is enough to feed a child for a full school year.

UK site is https://www.marysmeals.org/

Last edited:
Morning chums,

First up the news we all want to hear , both girls now home in Southport and recovering well ❤️‍🩹.

Last night Mrs J brought me home a record from the charity shop. Well it won't surprise you to know that I'm very fussy when it comes to vinyl. Beatles Greatest Hits .....hmmm. Well I love the Beatles and have pretty much everything on CD but getting pristine Beatles vinyl is rare and expensive. And , this is a compilation that I've never come across. Anyway much to my amazement it's an original 1980 Parlaphone/ EMI release. After a couple of cleans it plays like new and sounds absolutely wonderful.

Already had a good cardio session and after I cook mum's lunch ( chicken curry - and not out of a packet) I will be off for an afternoons ping pong.

Great news on the girls .

Morning chums,

Excellent news about the girls. The record would appear to be quite a find, well done to Mrs J.

Spent the morning cleaning the house as we are hosting three volunteers for Mary's Meals who are walking from Kilkenny to Knock Shrine Co Mayo about 135 miles. They start tomorrow and DV will meet walkers from 7 other locations around Ireland, with everyone arriving on 15 August.

The story of MM is heartwarming and some short films can be seen here. It was started by two young Scottish brothers who were moved by the horrific scenes of the 90s Balkan conflict. They drove out medical supplies and non perishable food to the worst affected.

Since then, the target beneficiaries are children who would not normally attend school due to family poverty. All food is locally sourced and cooked by volunteers at each school.

Administration costs are kept to a minimum, and MM now feed over 2.4 million children in 17 countries each school day.

Really interesting films, what a great charity.

Morning all, first today! Sunny today. A change of plan for us as we were supposed to be dog-sitting while son and family went for a few days in Bristol. The demonstrations planned for later today has caused them to cancel the trip. Not going to say any more on the situation other than it makes me very sad, if I do I’ll go off on one and most likely get myself banned.
Have a good day, all💙
P.S. I know I said I wouldn’t say anymore about current events but just had to say that a planned right wing rally in Peterborough on Sunday didn’t take place as only the counter protest turned up!

Good morning all. I'm very relieved to tell you that, in spite of police warnings, there were no incidents in Durham last night. However it shows the measure of the eejits who organise these things when they picked Durham. It must be one of the least diverse cities in the country! The only non white people you see on a regular basis are the Chinese and Japanese students who go to the University.
I've decided to go to the anti-fascist protest in Newcastle on Saturday. Sometimes you have to put your money where your mouth is and I haven't been to a good demo for ages. I'm going with some of my old union friends.
In other, more mundane news, I'm going to the hairdressers this morning. Cut and colour. I currently look like Crystal Tipps ( one for the oldies!) Later I'm out for tea with some work chums - the ones who I did my training with. I feel tea is the appropriate description because we are meeting at 4.30pm.
I see Everton managed to beat the mighty Motherwell 6-0 last night and Maupay scored two. Motherwell must be awful!🤣🤣
Have a lovely day all.

Morning chums,

That's such good news about the girls. What a find in the charity shop.

What an amazing charity

Morning all, dull day here with rain forecast - not bothered as working from lunchtime, but Mr P disappointed as he wanted to do our garden for a change of scenery. I remember Crystal Tips and Alistair - and it’s how I describe my hair when I’ve been in the sea - thank god for GHDs (one for the ladies).
Apparently there is supposed to be a riot in Wigan tonight at the support for Wigan arrivals centre. It’s been posted on a local Facebook page by concerned residents and mums who are naturally worried. I just despair I really do. Stay safe @anjelikaferrett at the protest. Whatever your politics you have to admit this government has inherited one great pile of trouble.
Following advice I checked my Everton account and my e-season ticket was there to download. So that’s it - 2024/25 here I come 💙

What an amazing charity
Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone. I will pass them onto the walkers.

The Kilkenny walkers are on their way. They will walk about 26KM today to Clogh in North Co Kilkenny - that is sort of the average per day. We have collectors in Kilkenny all day today with Garda permits for shaking buckets - doing well so far.

Portlaoise tomorrow, then Killeigh, Clara (both Co Offaly), Athlone Co Westmeath, Roscommon town, Ballymoe Co Galway, Ballyhaunis Co Mayo arriving DV at Knock Co Mayo 15 August, meeting the walkers form the other start points - and walking the last few KM together into the Shrine at Knock.

https://www.marysmeals.ie/get-involved/step-by-step; https://www.marysmeals.org.uk/

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back