Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

Unfortunately tonight, his wife had just got back from hospital and came over to the pub in tears. He had been fine all day but when she got back home the hospital phoned to say he was going down hill fast. I’d been drinking so I arranged a car to take her back to the hospital but unfortunately he died just before she got there. She phoned to tell me the sad news. She’s coping but in bits. I’m gutted tbh, I always try to make a joke or look at the positive side of life but he was a fabulous friend, with an amazing mind and full of life. I’ll catch up with her tomorrow when I can because of my wife, and then no doubt help with all the stuff associated with dealing with this. I’ve told the manager of our pub to go to any lengths and cost to ensure that she is looked after when she comes in and to deliver a wake worthy of a great man…..
So sorry to hear this Pete.

Anyway, I went around to see my friends wife this afternoon, his son and his wife were there. It was a quiet afternoon until I suggested we all go the pub, which incidentally is just across the road. Anyway we got there and all of our friends arrived and tbh we had a great night. She thoroughly enjoyed herself, his son and wife had a great time as I knew they would, because our pub is more of a family than most families. Everyone was respectful but also cracking jokes to bring smiles to all their faces. She loved it and it broke the ice between commiseration and celebration. All of our staff and customers did their bit with many going out of their way to give her a hug and offering support. It was a beautiful evening, a celebration of her husbands life yet just one day after he died. She has the same approach to life as I have, get back on the horse as soon as it throws you off, and have a joke about it. I’ll see her tomorrow and notwithstanding a headache she will be over again tomorrow, that’s why I loved them both…I’m really going to miss him, but both his wife and son know that we have a great group of friends to get them through this…..

So sorry to hear this Pete.

Thanks Jazzy, he was lovely man, a Finance Director with a major company before retirement. We had so much in common, business wise, but we would compete about the most trivial things such as a game of dominoes. It’s hard to describe our relationship, a relationship of equals, each enjoying each others company and jokes. His wife said his big regret was that we never played dominoes as a team together, which was true as we were always on opposing sides, even though we were probably the two best players in the pub. I feel like I’ve lost a part of me tbh, but my focus is still on looking after my wife, and now his…he will have died knowing this……

Anyway, I went around to see my friends wife this afternoon, his son and his wife were there. It was a quiet afternoon until I suggested we all go the pub, which incidentally is just across the road. Anyway we got there and all of our friends arrived and tbh we had a great night. She thoroughly enjoyed herself, his son and wife had a great time as I knew they would, because our pub is more of a family than most families. Everyone was respectful but also cracking jokes to bring smiles to all their faces. She loved it and it broke the ice between commiseration and celebration. All of our staff and customers did their bit with many going out of their way to give her a hug and offering support. It was a beautiful evening, a celebration of her husbands life yet just one day after he died. She has the same approach to life as I have, get back on the horse as soon as it throws you off, and have a joke about it. I’ll see her tomorrow and notwithstanding a headache she will be over again tomorrow, that’s why I loved them both…I’m really going to miss him, but both his wife and son know that we have a great group of friends to get them through this…..
That’s great Pete you made his family know how much you all thought of him, laugh drink and raise a glass to him , brilliant

Thanks Jazzy, he was lovely man, a Finance Director with a major company before retirement. We had so much in common, business wise, but we would compete about the most trivial things such as a game of dominoes. It’s hard to describe our relationship, a relationship of equals, each enjoying each others company and jokes. His wife said his big regret was that we never played dominoes as a team together, which was true as we were always on opposing sides, even though we were probably the two best players in the pub. I feel like I’ve lost a part of me tbh, but my focus is still on looking after my wife, and now his…he will have died knowing this……
I have no words just admiration.

Good morning all on this miserable one for us . It is really nice to hear that @peteblue 's Fred's wife had a good time and that is the way I would hope oters behave when I pop my clogs .
I know you all followed my cancer diagnosis with compassion ,so I must tell you that it gave me a new lease of life when they said it was not aggressive ,I decided that I would do what I could to last a bit longer and started dieting ,I have lost 3.6kgs since but I still eat foods I love just not as much or with as many accoutrements . Hopefully that means the Finnish weather will be a feature for a good while longer .
I hope everyone had a good night and have a wonderful day today COYB.

Good morning all on this miserable one for us . It is really nice to hear that @peteblue 's Fred's wife had a good time and that is the way I would hope oters behave when I pop my clogs .
I know you all followed my cancer diagnosis with compassion ,so I must tell you that it gave me a new lease of life when they said it was not aggressive ,I decided that I would do what I could to last a bit longer and started dieting ,I have lost 3.6kgs since but I still eat foods I love just not as much or with as many accoutrements . Hopefully that means the Finnish weather will be a feature for a good while longer .
Well done! Great positive attitude to have 👍

Good morning all. Recent posts just show us how we need to enjoy life while we can and appreciate the good. My back issues seem insignificant in comparison but it remains vulnerable and the physio said I’ve just got to accept it will always be a weakness and adjust accordingly. So I’ve been back to the gym and focussed on cardio, started walking the dogs again but I can’t do the big ones anymore and yesterday I had the pleasure of the company of a young Saluki who was a joy to walk- so full of fun. Dog walking is my therapy. Now knitting winter hats for the impending arrival and the purchase of a Pom Pom maker (who knew ..) has been a game changer.
Working this morning, knitting this aft - rock and roll lifestyle or what .
Have a great day everyone 💙

Very sorry to read this. My beloved sister died of the same - her first anniversary on the 4th September.

My thoughts and prayers with Mr Eriksson and his family.

Sorry about your sister, anniversaries are always tough and the first ones especially so.

Long may it continue. Good luck with the diet.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back