2020/21 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the one hand I can see why Southgate wouldn’t pick him. Does he really have the pace or mentality to go and win a euros or World Cup? Not in my view. On the tiger hand I’ve no idea why he then picks Eric Dier and Coady who are even worse.

There’s no consistency of selection with England which means we just spin the wheel each tournament with no idea of who the team will be. Other countries play with a core of players through a 2 year campaign even if it means ignoring the latest flavours of the month.
The fact that Lingard has been called back up after being out the picture ages just because he has had a few good games recently just shows it. I do get the Keane thing but like you say I don't think he is any worse than any of the CB that have been selected and he is defo better than Eric Dier.

The fact that Lingard has been called back up after being out the picture ages just because he has had a few good games recently just shows it. I do get the Keane thing but like you say I don't think he is any worse than any of the CB that have been selected and he is defo better than Eric Dier.

After Stones he’s the most in form English centreback so by Southgate’s bizarre selection criteria he should have been picked. How he rates Tyrone Mings I’m not sure because he always looks hopeless every time I see him,

The euros are this summer and how many names can we pin in a starting 11? Pickford, Maguire, Kane, Sterling. That’s 7 slots that no one has any idea who will play in from game to game.

Everyone used to be able to name almost the full 11 for the great recent Spain teams, same with Germany teams up to about 2016, Italy teams too.

every tournament it was Schweinsteiger Khedira Ozil Kroos, Pirlo Gattuso Camoranesi Montolivo, Xavi Iniesta Busquets always the same faces in the same teams tournament after tournament with the odd additions. No one could even name the starting midfield for England at the euros, couldn’t put a pin in a single name. Then people wonder why we look disjointed and never win anything,

Don't think he's ever really looked comfortable at international level to be honest, and I'm not sure the way we set up necessarily means he'd transfer that form to England either, but I would imagine he's a bit disappointed to be behind some very average players there.

Gutted for Keane but it’s gonna be hilarious when their centre half’s get turned inside out and Keane isn’t there to be made the scapegoat. Coady over Keane... Southgate lol

Just seen this
Mings, Dier and that cart horse Harry Maguire in front of him. Absolutely clueless manager
God I hate England and the media circus that follows it.
That manager is an absolute clown. I’d tell him to do one if he gets picked again.
He’s better off staying at Finch Farm anyway

He's got his faults but Keane has been one of the most consistent defenders in the league this season. Only goes to show you the utter nonsense about picking players on form. Glad he's away from the England set up for selfish reasons anyway, be arsed with injuries.

Southgate always seems to pander to the press somewhat on squad selections - and we all know Everton are not the press' favorites. In this case I dont think there will be much strenuous defending to be done in at least 2 of the 3 games. Likely goal-fests 2 of them so he included another forward.

Just seen he’s not in the squad. He’s been one of the most consistently good English CB’s for a year and is EASILY better than Eric Dier.

Thing is it's not even a ''rival'' fan opinion. Dier is below average at CB, gets found out time and time again with shoddy positioning but here we are. Trippier has been out suspended for 3 months and got rinsed by Timo Werner last night yet he's walked back in to the England team lol

This is amazing.
Even when slightly off form he was getting picked. Maguire is in 100% as he's at Man U, otherwise he looks no better than Keane in my opinion!
Anyway, hopefully it doesn't affect his confidence and keeps him fresh for us. Coady is good, but Mings?
Stones - Keane a good combo I would think at Centre Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back