2020/21 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was dreadful, but should never be playing a back three unless he's in the centre of it.

He was basically getting tasked with man marking Zaha, who had him on strings.

That goal was textbook dreadful defending, and sums up his two glaring weaknesses. Immobile. No positional sense.

Steve Bruce was equally as slow, but he knew where to position himself so as not to get caught out. Having a football brain is why he was the bedrock of Fergie’s backline at Old Trafford, not having a football brain is why Keane was bombed out of Old Trafford and sent to Burnley. With Burnley Keane could hide these two weaknesses as Burnley’s two banks of four were camped deep in their own half. Pace wasn’t required as no opposing forward is getting in behind a defence that is positioned so close to their own goal. Positional sense wasn’t an issue either as the congested area made it very difficult for an opposition player to pass through it. All Keane had to do was win headers from the crosses that the frustrated opposition often had to resort to.

Basically you can be a really bogstandard defender in a Sean Dyche set up and not get exposed, and that’s where Keane benefited.

Hes been really good this season but he and Mina can only play as the central CB in a 3. In a 4 either deep with Mina or someone quick alongside he is fine.

....if he plays he has to be protected. He needs a shield in front, a partner one side and a full back the other.

He’s dreadfully exposed in a three.

I think he can play in the middle of a 3 but absolutely should not play as either RCB or LCB in a 3 as he doesn't have the pace.

That goal was textbook dreadful defending, and sums up his two glaring weaknesses. Immobile. No positional sense.

Steve Bruce was equally as slow, but he knew where to position himself so as not to get caught out. Having a football brain is why he was the bedrock of Fergie’s backline at Old Trafford, not having a football brain is why Keane was bombed out of Old Trafford and sent to Burnley. With Burnley Keane could hide these two weaknesses as Burnley’s two banks of four were camped deep in their own half. Pace wasn’t required as no opposing forward is getting in behind a defence that is positioned so close to their own goal. Positional sense wasn’t an issue either as the congested area made it very difficult for an opposition player to pass through it. All Keane had to do was win headers from the crosses that the frustrated opposition often had to resort to.

Basically you can be a really bogstandard defender in a Sean Dyche set up and not get exposed, and that’s where Keane benefited.
You’ve just described VVD

Is simply not good enough and definitely not England class
If he has a game without giving away 1 or 2 goals he suddenly is world class. LOL. The guy is clueless and one of the worst defender in the league. It seems like Mina is of to Italy so we are stuck with that crap.

They had 4 forwards on by the end. I would blame Godfrey as much as Keane for the goal. He's a bog standard centre half, and is probably not in Ancelotti's first team plans in the medium term.

If we could get a decent fee I’d sell him in the summer. I’d rather have Branthwaite in. I don’t know why we gave him a new contract. His lack of pace kills us and means we can only play with a deep back 4. It was embarrassing trying to watch him operate in a bit of space last night. His fans say that’s not his game, but we’re taking about someone who sees himself as an England international, not being able to play any way other than inside the 6 yard box hoofing balls away is a trait belonging in the lower leagues. He’s not at the standard for me, nowhere near it. I’d rather let Godfrey and Holgate make as many mistakes as they want but at least have a bit of pace and poise on the ball at the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back