Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Rumour Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd just hoped holgate was better than martina. Browning and Connolly if not good enough should be let go.

Regards to martina Southampton didn't rate him whatsoever so surely he can't be good enough for us? There are plenty of good right backs about who are better than him. We've seen time and time again that when we do things on the cheap it fails. Steklenburg the latest

Holgate is definitely a better player than Martina but I'm not sure he's a better right back. I understand your point completely mate but I feel we have more pressing concerns in our squad and we don't have a bottomless pit of money to address them all at once. That's mainly the reason I can't see us getting another centre back after Keane either. If this is the club's thinking then it does make sense to me to get Martina in for a year.

Won't mind your lad mcarthy and possibly lookman on loan pweez? Is niasse even a footballer? Makes gray look a world beater.
You certainly seem short in midfield. No Barton and defour hasn't set the world alight. McCarthy would be excellent business for you, but it's unlikely dyche would virtually use up all the proceeds of the Keane sale to purchase Mccarthy.
Probably a more realistic option is Besic, who you'd probably get for half the price of McCarthy. Galloway and Pennington are both highly regarded, they just need experience. Both could be an option on loan for you next season, to help fill the void left by Keane's departure.

Holgate is definitely a better player than Martina but I'm not sure he's a better right back. I understand your point completely mate but I feel we have more pressing concerns in our squad and we don't have a bottomless pit of money to address them all at once. That's mainly the reason I can't see us getting another centre back after Keane either. If this is the club's thinking then it does make sense to me to get Martina in for a year.

Where would holgate fit in then. If he's more suited to centre back and we have Keane Williams jags and funes. Is he third fourth or fifth choice? Perhaps one of jags or funes needs to leave.

Also Pennington is still here. Although I'd be worried if he was anywhere near the first team this season

Oh yeah totally agree, but regards Coleman, he shouldnt be a factor till next Transfer window, we should plan for him not being here till then.

From Koemans thinking hes got a few games to judge Kenny, Connolly and Holgate at Fullback during pre-season, hes gets Martina in as cover and if none of the 4 lads mentioned are cutting the mustard then the window is still open and we can easily sign somebody else.
It makes me wonder if Koeman is going to play it safe and give most of the time to Holgate and Martina. To his credit, Holgate has been solid defensively and could hold down the fort with Coleman down (would prefer to have a winger in front of him though). Kenny looks more like a modern day fullback and I would hope he does well with his opportunities. It would be nice to have three competent defenders on the ball, and Kenny looks more comfortable at RB.

It makes me wonder if Koeman is going to play it safe and give most of the time to Holgate and Martina. To his credit, Holgate has been solid defensively and could hold down the fort with Coleman down (would prefer to have a winger in front of him though). Kenny looks more like a modern day fullback and I would hope he does well with his opportunities. It would be nice to have three competent defenders on the ball, and Kenny looks more comfortable at RB.

The boy Connolly also got very rave reviews on loan at Wigan, its prudent of Ronny to have a proper look at ALL the options before going out and spunking a load on a fullback, instead hes just getting Martina in for "cover".

Where would holgate fit in then. If he's more suited to centre back and we have Keane Williams jags and funes. Is he third fourth or fifth choice? Perhaps one of jags or funes needs to leave.

Also Pennington is still here. Although I'd be worried if he was anywhere near the first team this season

I hope RK starts grooming Holgate for a centre back position, i think he has a long term future here whereas Jags, Williams and Mori probably don't. I think he'll be low down the pecking order for premier league starts but i can see him getting plenty of game time in the league cup and EL group stage. Maybe he could go on a six month loan in January if they feel he would get more game time for the second half of the season.

As for Pennington, I have a feeling that Koeman likes him but I don't think he'd have played him last season if Holgate didn't have to fill in at RB, the reason he played was due to the injury crisis we had although his new contract did surprise me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back