Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Rumour Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holgate Connolly Kenny Browning

And yet we sign Cucina.

Says a lot about how much we rate or don't rate our younger right backs

Wouldn't mind if we were going for a decent right back but do we honestly see Martina as better than those four?. Southampton didn't want him. Alarm. Bell.

I don't like Holgate at right back, I know nothing about Connolly and I've got no idea what's going on with Browning.

I don't see the issue with bringing Martina in to compete with Kenny until Seamus comes back, Kenny was sound when he came on against Swansea but do we really want to chance him for 6 months until Coleman comes back with no alternative?

Don't get me wrong mate I agree but my point is the club's stance is what I would expect if we had a fully fit Coleman and I would understand the Martina signing but we dont have a fully fit Coleman. We all wish him well but the club if they are as ambitious as what they say have a duty to prepare for the possibility of Seamus taking a good while to come back to his peak level if at all, and signing Martina who's nothing but a plug to cover the RB spot if needed isn't good enough imo as it leaves us at risk of being incredibly weak at the RB position.

I'm not advocating writing Seamus off or spending £30 million on another RB but surely there is a decent RB ou there who we could get for a snip price and provide us with some good cover along with Kenny whilst Coleman is out?

MAYBE Ronny REALLY fancies Kenny, I dunno mate, I dont believe Martina is a bad as people say, Ronny has signed him as often as he can, he knows what hes about, I think you are wrong on Coleman, with modern medicine these days they can tell during the operation how good the recovery will be, but there will be other windows if hes totally goosed.

I don't like Holgate at right back, I know nothing about Connolly and I've got no idea what's going on with Browning.

I don't see the issue with bringing Martina in to compete with Kenny until Seamus comes back, Kenny was sound when he came on against Swansea but do we really want to chance him for 6 months until Coleman comes back with no alternative?

I just don't get why we don't sign a top right back? The signing of martina suggests that all our youngsters aren't good enough

Jags has been very vocal about this summer and saying it's going to be an incredible time of ins and outs (players), that is not something you would hear from someone leaving so I think he might be staying or he has decided he will leave to get definite first team experience. Could totally be that. I don't think Williams had a terrible season like some people are claiming but I do think Mori will be off. With Holgate there, there is perhaps not room for another CB. I don't think Williams would be happy on bench.
Any idea upon a return date for mori? If he is fit enough to start pre-season with us, I can't see him being here come the end of the window. If fitness is still an issue, he'll be gone in January and with it being World Cup year, he'll want regular first team football that he isn't guaranteed here.

I think we will attempt to sign another 1, whether we do or not is a different matter.

Possibly but the price for centre backs has gone through the ceiling, if Lukaku and maybe Barkley need replacing I strongly doubt the funds would be there for another CB. Would like to be proved wrong though.

MAYBE Ronny REALLY fancies Kenny, I dunno mate, I dont believe Martina is a bad as people say, Ronny has signed him as often as he can, he knows what hes about, I think you are wrong on Coleman, with modern medicine these days they can tell during the operation how good the recovery will be, but there will be other windows if hes totally goosed.
I think this injury will be more psychologically damaging than physically. He probably will think twice about coming at another player at speed because he has seen the worst case scenario. These "shock" injuries really mess players up.

I just don't get why we don't sign a top right back? The signing of martina suggests that all our youngsters aren't good enough

It doesn't if he is a permanent bench player and Kenny starts ahead of him. If we had the power of foresight and we could see how seamus comes back then a decision to sign a replacement could be made but I fully expect him to return to the same standard.

I think this injury will be more psychologically damaging than physically. He probably will think twice about coming at another player at speed because he has seen the worst case scenario. These "shock" injuries really mess players up.

Oh yeah totally agree, but regards Coleman, he shouldnt be a factor till next Transfer window, we should plan for him not being here till then.

From Koemans thinking hes got a few games to judge Kenny, Connolly and Holgate at Fullback during pre-season, hes gets Martina in as cover and if none of the 4 lads mentioned are cutting the mustard then the window is still open and we can easily sign somebody else.

We've just offered a 5 year contract to our starting RB and likely club captain next season. Everton are not going to shell out big money on a right back, with seamus returning I guess in the new year. Holgate has done a job nothing more at full back, but it's not his natural position. I'd really like to see JJ get a run out, or even McCarthy as a last resort, before seamus comes back.

It doesn't if he is a permanent bench player and Kenny starts ahead of him. If we had the power of foresight and we could see how seamus comes back then a decision to sign a replacement could be made but I fully expect him to return to the same standard.

I'd just hoped holgate was better than martina. Browning and Connolly if not good enough should be let go.

Regards to martina Southampton didn't rate him whatsoever so surely he can't be good enough for us? There are plenty of good right backs about who are better than him. We've seen time and time again that when we do things on the cheap it fails. Steklenburg the latest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back