Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Modern parenting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr F and I had zero help from anybody. My inlaws who lived nearby were elderly- Mr F was born when his Mum was 40+. They couldn't cope with a baby. Both had passed away by the time child 2 was born. My younger, healthy parents were not interested in ever having the kids stay with them and begrudgingly took oldest child to Liverpool when I was in labour having Child 2. They brought him back the very next day. However they happily did the school run, watched school football matches and childminded for my brothers" kids. Absence clearly does not make the heart grow fonder.
So we muddled through. Paid childcare, part time working on my part, Mr F got a job working a twilight shift which helped. My work opened a subsidised on site nurserywhich was great. We made use of breakfast clubs and kids clubs in the holidays. We refused invitations if we couldn't bring the kids - not in an arsey way. I'm not one of those who demanded my friends pander to my children. We did everything as a four - including taking them to OMD and Aha gigs and spending more time than I care to remember in pubs with names like Charlie Chalk or Wacky Warehouse.
Fast forward to the present day. We have a great relationship with both our now adult children. I think the doing everything together actually paid off in how we interact. One day I hope to be an awesome granny who will help with childcare.
I would not change any of it.

Last edited:
A big annoyance of mine is when I hear “I’m ready for children”. Are you? Mine are 13 & 9 and I’m still not ready. I love them to bits but I haven’t got a clue.
(Sorry for bringing it back like this but I didn't see anyone bring it up)

I say that, but it's not due to being ready for the kids themselves - how they'll be and how it will affect us is a coin toss.
I mean it more as in being ready to have kids, both financially and where we both are in life, you know, the process/support "network" currently and how it is in life. 3-4 years ago it'd be impossible for us to even think about it - pandemic, we bought an apartment (and the mortgage, while low, is still an expense), and a lot of other factors made us very much not 'ready', for example.

Currently we're discussing it but the wife just changed jobs so we can't/shouldn't for another few months. I make good enough money to support us even if she's jobless and we'll make do - we're both from poor families and don't have some lavish lifestyles or anything - but it's best if we both have creature comforts. That's what I consider "being ready" - not rushing into it, and being a bit sensible. Hopefully it works out for us, as you never know obviously and we both want to have kids, but this is our "state" of readiness haha

Mr F and I had zero help from anybody. My inlaws who lived nearby were elderly- Mr F was born when his Mum was 40+. They couldn't cope with a baby
My dad and aunt (his sister) kept coming to Sofia for my aunt's daughter's kids - never even visiting me once, or even calling 95% of the time, and I know for a fact that he's never coming over like they did for her two kids, ever.

My mum lives in Greece but she wants to move back but we don't know how/when this will happen.

Wife's parents are great people that have raised her and her bigger sister fantastically, but they're older and we know the only help will be when we bring any kid(s) over to them.

On all sides - only my mum's parents are alive and well, hopefully for as long as possible, but no one's escaped age yet...

What I'm saying is that we're prepared (to be read as "dreading") the moment where we have no help from anywhere...
One day I hope to be an awesome granny who will help with childcare.
No doubt in my mind you'll be a fantastic granny :)

Now
1720987093589.webp

6zOhzC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back