Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Morgan Schneiderlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wholeheartedly disagree. As I've mentioned a number of times previously, we offer very little tempo, creativity or movement in the centre.

For all the positives of Gana, who I personally think is a top player, he doesn't appear to have the passing versatility or brain to manage a game.

Therefore more often than not our player either grinds to a halt when our midfielders have the ball, or the midfield is simply bypassed altogether.

Schneiderlin, or someone similar, will offer more options from the midfield which in part will provide freedom and opportunities for other players.

If we then add to the squad a player for the much heralded number ten role, we may then start to see our play improving significantly.
Drop Barkley back in there and he can get it going from deep. I'd have a Davies/Barkley cm duo.

It really is not a crucial position to be filled right at this moment in time. The role servicing Lukaku is THE most important position we require money spent on, then a GK.

so all the cm are rubbish then that means we need to buy 2 or 3 not just one i think you are harsh on the current cm they are easily good enough for a top 7 team

McCarthy: Limited
Davies: Too inexperienced
Barry: Too much experience
Besic: Sick note
Barkley: Erratic

Drop Barkley back in there and he can get it going from deep. I'd have a Davies/Barkley cm duo.

It really is not a crucial position to be filled right at this moment in time. The role servicing Lukaku is THE most important position we require money spent on, then a GK.

We need to keep the ball to service Lukaku. This guy and Gana will be the best duo in the country at winning it back and rotating the ball to fellow team mates.

We wouldn't be signing Schneiderlin to cover anyone for one month. He'd be coming in to be the starter in 75%+ of our games in all competitions over the next 2.5 to 4 seasons, either alongside Gana in a 442 or 4231, or with two players in a 433.

He'd be coming in to allow us to phase Barry out, to allow us to possibly sell McCarthy, to allow us to develop Davies at an appropriate pace, and to allow us to not have to rely on Besic being thrown back in to playing 90 mins every five days the moment he passes a fitness test.

But yeah, not a priority or a transfer with any significant return. :coffee:

You're missing the point of what I'm saying.

If we lose Lukaku our team is bang average wether we get Sneiderlin or not we'll really struggle to score goals and be relying on our fairly solid defence.

Who's going to create our goals? KM (inconsistent), same with Barkely etc.

Not creating chances and not scoring enough goals is a far bigger problem than having an extra player who is good at tackling and running around a lot.

If you can't see the logic behind any of that, it shows your own lack of intellect, not mine. But carry on going round acting self righteous.

williams.webp

Besic isn't even in full training or close to being mate, yet your including him in selection for this month.

So basically you would start Barry, Davies, and Barkley? Correct?

And if any of those picks an injury up - cleverley to start?
Bloody hell mate..."if this disaster happens then that disaster happens what will we do!!?"

Besid is back in light training. That can improve quickly for some players.

Barkley is frankly very inconsistent in midfield.
Davies has started four games?
Barry has started 4000 games?
Besic is recovering from a cruciate.

Hardly glorious options. Plus who really cares.
This guy was wanted by some of the countries biggest clubs 18 months ago. He had a rough time at UTD, had a personal crisis and is now on the verge of signing for us.

I bet you didnt want Arteta as he had a tough time after Rangers. Or Pienaar after his tough time at Dortmund.
Question for you: how many players have we got who can play off Lukaku, pull strings in the final third and get a goal or two themselves? Erm. NONE.

How many players have we got to slot into two cm berths while ONE player goes off for ONE month? Three or four depending on if Cleverley stays or not.

Which of these positions is more pressing to fill?

Question for you: how many players have we got who can play off Lukaku, pull strings in the final third and get a goal or two themselves? Erm. NONE.

How many players have we got to slot into two cm berths while ONE player goes off for ONE month? Three or four depending on if Cleverley stays or not.

Which of this positions is more pressing to fill?

US
MAN
OV

I don't normally agree with a lot of things you say Davek but you're spot on in that our main priority is our lack of goals. Anything that helps us score more goals should be our number one priority. Our team is fairly solid as a defensive unit.

I don't see why a DM should be a number 1 priority.

Ideally we'll sign a DM and attacking players but people that think it should be our number one priority are nuts. Lukaku gets injured for a couple of months, we're screwed, but hey it's ok we've got a guy who's good at tackling, that'll really help when we don't score for 10 league games in a row.

Which of these positions is more pressing to fill?

Arguably both. The players who slot into our cm berths arent good enough at retaining the ball or winning the ball back (Gana exception). Hence why we need to buy him.

I agree we need individuals to play off Rom, but I would argue we need at least one. Its a squad game and this purchase will a) allow us to release one of McCarthy/Clev for funds and up the quality.

No brainer.

Now now Dave. That's crazy talk, if it's Barkley - who replaces him? Barry starting every game for the next 3-4 weeks? McCarthy is due back before Besic, but the pair of them are never fit for an extended period of time. Schneiderlin may not be a priority (in your opinion) but he will definitely be useful.

You've been craving investment, now there's a chance, you seem to be critical because of the lack of sell on value?

He'll be a good signing IMHO.

And because we are/may sign him doesn't mean other positions won't be strengthened.
Every post saying we need this player makes my point for me when they list a string of players still in contention for the two cm berths even in Gueyes absence for a few weeks. When Gueye gets back we'll be overmanned in that department! That's at a point when we are crying out for a playmaker.

I know where I'd be throwing £20 odd million.

Last edited:
You're missing the point of what I'm saying.

If we lose Lukaku our team is bang average wether we get Sneiderlin or not we'll really struggle to score goals and be relying on our fairly solid defence.

Who's going to create our goals? KM (inconsistent), same with Barkely etc.

Not creating chances and not scoring enough goals is a far bigger problem than having an extra player who is good at tackling and running around a lot.

If you can't see the logic behind any of that, it shows your own lack of intellect, not mine. But carry on going round acting self righteous.
Actually, YOU'RE missing the point. I know full well we are over-reliant on Lukaku, and very vulnerable should he pick up any kind of injury - we certainly need cover there.

We ALSO desperately need a fit, skilful CM in his prime. Barry is not fit enough to play 90 mins twice a week; McCarthy and Besic are not fit full stop, and both have worrying injury histories; Gibson is finished; Cleverley does not have the skill level required; Davies looks good but won't benefit from being expected to carry the midfield for a month; Barkley might well thrive in CM but not without a Gana or similar alongside him. We need to ship out Gibson and Cleverley, and phase Barry out, this season - to do that, we need an UPGRADE option in CM.

We (allegedly) have the money now to genuinely make a splash in the transfer market - why do you believe that we WON'T buy suitable cover for Lukaku as well as buying Schneiderlin? Because we've never done it before? Because we maybe DON'T have the cash? If we spend £22mish on Schneiderlin, we free ourselves to dispose of Gibson and Cleverley now, and Barry at the end of the season: this could bring in a few million in transfer fees and free up a chunk of the wage bill. Alternatively, if we spend £22m to £30m on an alternative to Lukaku who plays CM in our next couple of games? Who do we sell to recoup some cash?

Look at the squad as a whole, FFS. And learn what self-righteous means before you randomly start throwing it around as an accusation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back