Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Morgan Schneiderlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every list saying we need this player makes my point for me when they list a string of players still in contention for the two cm berths even in Gueyes absence for a few weeks. When Gueye gets back we'll be overmanned in that department! That's at a point when we are crying out for a playmaker.

I know where I'd be throwing £20 odd million.
You're talking as though we have one £20m to spend. Why can't it be Schneiderlin plus 1 or 2 others?

Arguably both. The players who slot into our cm berths arent good enough at retaining the ball or winning the ball back (Gana exception). Hence why we need to buy him.

I agree we need individuals to play off Rom, but I would argue we need at least one. Its a squad game and this purchase will a) allow us to release one of McCarthy/Clev for funds and up the quality.

No brainer.

It's a MONTH mate. ONE MONTH that Gueye will be away. Why on earth would our club throw £20+M on filling a gap for that short period of time?!

Thinking caps on for our decision makers.

McCarthy: Limited
Davies: Too inexperienced
Barry: Too much experience
Besic: Sick note
Barkley: Erratic

Barkley and Davies could both be great players for us, but at the moment are young and inconsistent. Barry was great but he's 34 now. McCarthy is alright but he's not going to take us to the next level is he. Besic I don't even count.

It's a MONTH mate. ONE MONTH that Gueye will be away. Why on earth would our club throw £20+M on filling a gap for that short period of time?!

Thinking caps on for our decision makers.

You really think he is purchased to play for a month and never been seen again?
Come off it.

Actually, YOU'RE missing the point. I know full well we are over-reliant on Lukaku, and very vulnerable should he pick up any kind of injury - we certainly need cover there.

We ALSO desperately need a fit, skilful CM in his prime. Barry is not fit enough to play 90 mins twice a week; McCarthy and Besic are not fit full stop, and both have worrying injury histories; Gibson is finished; Cleverley does not have the skill level required; Davies looks good but won't benefit from being expected to carry the midfield for a month; Barkley might well thrive in CM but not without a Gana or similar alongside him. We need to ship out Gibson and Cleverley, and phase Barry out, this season - to do that, we need an UPGRADE option in CM.

We (allegedly) have the money now to genuinely make a splash in the transfer market - why do you believe that we WON'T buy suitable cover for Lukaku as well as buying Schneiderlin? Because we've never done it before? Because we maybe DON'T have the cash? If we spend £22mish on Schneiderlin, we free ourselves to dispose of Gibson and Cleverley now, and Barry at the end of the season: this could bring in a few million in transfer fees and free up a chunk of the wage bill. Alternatively, if we spend £22m to £30m on an alternative to Lukaku who plays CM in our next couple of games? Who do we sell to recoup some cash?

Look at the squad as a whole, FFS. And learn what self-righteous means before you randomly start throwing it around as an accusation.

I agree with all the concerns and points you've made in that post. The only thing I've disagreed with is people saying it should be our main priority.

I hope we strengthen in DM\CM and up front. Maybe I'm a touch sceptical because we've been let down so many times in the past and hopefully my doubts will be proved wrong but I'm not objecting to getting a quality DM in, which Sniederlin sounds like he is, just it being the number one priorty.

I don't normally agree with a lot of things you say Davek but you're spot on in that our main priority is our lack of goals. Anything that helps us score more goals should be our number one priority. Our team is fairly solid as a defensive unit.

I don't see why a DM should be a number 1 priority.

Ideally we'll sign a DM and attacking players but people that think it should be our number one priority are nuts. Lukaku gets injured for a couple of months, we're screwed, but hey it's ok we've got a guy who's good at tackling, that'll really help when we don't score for 10 league games in a row.
Adding to the cm department is something we can do at leisure in the summer and run the rule over younger better quality talent. This is just madness paying a kings ransom just because Gueye is out of our grasp for 4 weeks.

You're talking as though we have one £20m to spend. Why can't it be Schneiderlin plus 1 or 2 others?
It doesn't matter. If we have the extra £20m then get a second striker in. It's a far more pressing position to fill and one we need sorting out.

Its a good job they dont care about money David.
Really? You must have missed Moshiri's memo just last night calling for the club to become self sustaining. Doesn't sound like an open chequebook does it? Best get our value for money signings in if that's the case.

Imagine complaining for the first half of the season that your midfield lacks pace and doesn't create much for your star striker... and then turning your nose up at the chance of upgrading your midfield with a French international who is a proven, experienced, pacy CM who has successfully worked with your current manager at a previous club IN THE SAME DIVISION.

Imagine complaining about an ageing player in your midfield causing your striker to be isolated; or about three more of your CM options being constantly injured and regularly unavailable to play... and then refusing to sign a younger, better player who would allow you to ship out some of the dead wood.

Just imagine how bonkers you'd sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back