Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Morgan Schneiderlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'd accept it if top quality players were paid for and potential were being bought to supplement that. What we have at present is a number of established decent but not top quality players being bought (Williams, Bolassie, Schneiderlin) when we really should be getting top quality with the money laid down, and the potential side of things is practically non-existent.

Im utterly flummoxed as to wtf this club's signing policy is. It looks like the economics of the mad house.

Lad, literally the only signing we have made this January, is a talented youngster.

You used to be quite good at this wind up malarkey, but your failing miserably (no pun intended)

We have literally just signed a 20 year old. And Koeman has JUST started a 18 year old and 20 year old against Southampton.

That negative argument doesn't stand.
How dare you use facts to down his argument mate.

Buying a proven PL player in his prime costs big money in 2017, and we're obviously looking for a blend of proven experience and youth.

Mate, all the signings so far are looking like they are from a manager who is thinking short term. Look at the ages of them. We need, as you say, to be unearthing major talent for less than this. Walsh is supposedly here to do exactly that.
Actually Walsh is here as DoF with a far more wide reaching role than just scouting cheap buys. Our current situation dictates we need to strengthen our squad with match ready players. With Gana gone for a month I would say we need a quality replacement or we risk losing points. Going forward, Schneiderlin is an improvement on Barry and McCarthy.

This is getting ridiculous, I've had davek ignored for absolutely ages but for a few weeks now he's in every thread arguing with all and sundry so I can't avoid it anyway. Does GoT really need to be davek vs the world?

Yes, yes it does

Dave Vs The Rest of the Forum is Grand Old Team

It is the backbone upon which this whole endeavour was established

Im not slating Schneiderlin. Schneiderlin for £8M I could get behind. The price quoted is ridiculous. That's all.

Oh

West Brom are welcome to him. He's bang average. We need another non-creative dullard like we need a hole in the head.

If Schneiderlin is the calibre we're after we may as well pack up now. Jack of all trades master of none.

He's West Brom class.

But at least he's increasing in value:

I''d pay no more than £5M for a player like that.

Mate, all the signings so far are looking like they are from a manager who is thinking short term. Look at the ages of them. We need, as you say, to be unearthing major talent for less than this. Walsh is supposedly here to do exactly that.

I think that Koeman's short term vision suits us for now, its been too long since our last trophy. If Koeman gets us back amongst Europe and a couple of tries at a cup then, the next manager can hopefully build upon a 22 year old lookman, a 26 year old barkley, a 22 year old daves, a 23 year old Holgate, then we go for the long term.

I do agree with you that buying Bolasie for £28m was stupid, but at the same time im young enough to wait a few more years for a stadium and the next wayne rooney, unfortunately football has no age, it waits for nobody.

All of them eh? That why we signed Lookman yesterday?

Short term is fine though, in the short term anyway !

Short term success ( if we're successful ) brings rewards , both for the club and the manager. If that happens then our rewards can be reinvested. In the meantime, we're also signing young talent ( such as Calvert-Lewin and Lookman ) with an eye on the medium to longer term.

Your concerns are understandable, but they're ( hopefully ) outdated.
We'll only know for sure in three or four years time.
At least you're civil about it, unlike others here.

Look, my point is that this is a huge short term gamble paying 20 odd million on players who aren't top quality and aren't going to give much resale back. It's a roll of the dice at best.

I want to see us build something around a group of players in their early to mid twenties. This signing policy so far is madness for a club like this.

You're having a laff. Is Sigurdsson supposed to haul them off the foot of the table by himself? Oh well, in that case then Gueye didnt do it for Villa so lets send him back eh?

davek said:
Are you actually comparing a player of quality like him to Schneiderlin?! Sigurdsson is a proven game changer of a player. He turns games and wins them on his own. £20M for him I could understand. £20M on another cm I cant...especially when the sell on will be a fraction of what he cost.

Your own words mate, so is he a gamechanger who can single handedly win Swansea games by himself or isn't he?

Your exact argument was that Schneiderlin isn't a game changer so therefore is 'average' at best

From March last year btw

Louis van Gaal must have been looking to protect the fitness of Morgan Schneiderlin for the Europa League showdowns with Liverpool because little else could explain why Manchester United's manager left the Frenchman on the bench until the last half hour at West Brom. Schneiderlin's return to the team at Shrewsbury had marked the first of the four wins in a row which saved Van Gaal's job – and over the course of the season United have lost only two of the 26 games he has started. When he's not been included in the opening line-up they have now lost eight out of 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back