Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Morgan Schneiderlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
....it's funny though, because he's on about value for money & possible sell-on value (ignoring the fact sell-on value is irrelevant if the player purchased provides on-pitch value over x amount of years).

Seems to have totally forgotten that his beloved Roberto ballooned 13.5 beans on the OUMAR.

Dutch Boob, Iranian Tit, Russian crook....that's where he's coming from, that's where he'll stay...good old Davey.

If there's not a Spanish Ham on the managers desk or he's able to impart his varied experiences gleaned playing for Motherwell, Walsall and the like then he doesn't wanna know. ;)
RMs signings will recoup way more back than he spent out. Do you think Koeman is shaping up to do that buying late 20s players for 20 odd million a pop?

Look, whatever way you want to cut it (contract expiry date/today's inflated prices etc etc) the overriding fact is that, as with Bollasie, we are paying over the odds for a player who has achieved nothing and will be practically worthless as an asset to sell in the future. Already the £27M paid for Bollasie has been pissed up against a wall. He was overpaid for and now he has a serious injury record. Guess how much we'll get for a player in his early 30s like that? Zip.

....only his performances will inform whether he's value for money or not. £20m is a lot of money but it's not particularly big in terms of footballers, especially one that the richest club in the game thought was worthy of purchasing not so long ago.

I don't particularly think Walsh was brought in to ensure we don't pay 'nonsense fees for established players', I think his main objective is to identify the type of players RK needs to fit his team model. Cost is certainly a factor but I wouldn't say £20m-£24m is a 'nonsense fee'.

Nothing against the lad, but sometimes I wonder whether Dave is actually a GOT recruitment to play devils advocate and stir debate. I might be wrong but I certainly don't think he believes all that he posts.

Mate, all the signings so far are looking like they are from a manager who is thinking short term. Look at the ages of them. We need, as you say, to be unearthing major talent for less than this. Walsh is supposedly here to do exactly that.

Now you're just blatantly lying ?

A player who has just turned 27 in central midfield is not 'short term'. You'd be incredibly unlucky to get less than five years out of him.

If we were signing a CM at 33 (Barry) or a 29 year old striker (Kone) like Martinez did then I could understand the logic. But to say signing a 27 year old midfielder whose game does not rely on pace is a short term signing is quite clearly nonsense.

That's aside from the 19 year old we've just signed who is clearly a Walsh signing.

Interesting segment on Sky Sports news at the moment about the importance of having two central midfielders who have pace and can defend. They've just analysed how it works in Tottenham's 4231, and also in Chelsea's 343, and explained how, in both systems, the degree to which the fullbacks /wingbacks can contribute in attack is dictated by the defensive prowess of the two CMs.

No mention, funnily enough, of the dynamite pairing of Barry and Cleverly.

Just gonna tweet them now to tell them that Davek says they're wrong, CMs are peripheral at best.

This is getting ridiculous, I've had davek ignored for absolutely ages but for a few weeks now he's in every thread arguing with all and sundry so I can't avoid it anyway. Does GoT really need to be davek vs the world?

The thing is mate, without davek causing a few debates, the forum would not exist. If we all agreed on the same thing then we would have nothing left but three threads:

1) Wrestling thread kept alive by virgin nerds with a love for men oiled up in trunks. I LOVE WRASSLIN' TOO !!!!
2) The anti Liverpool thread, which is hilarious at times but also makes us look like dem bitterz. I contribute to that thread too.
3) The 'Im a better blue than you' thread, started by our very own @Prevenger17 (which of course he would win without any real challengers).

I think that Koeman's short term vision suits us for now, its been too long since our last trophy. If Koeman gets us back amongst Europe and a couple of tries at a cup then, the next manager can hopefully build upon a 22 year old lookman, a 26 year old barkley, a 22 year old daves, a 23 year old Holgate, then we go for the long term.

I do agree with you that buying Bolasie for £28m was stupid, but at the same time im young enough to wait a few more years for a stadium and the next wayne rooney, unfortunately football has no age, it waits for nobody.
He's taking a hell of a gamble Paul. If he's spending cash on players like this and we dont start breaking into the top 5 or win a cup in 12 months time he will be under severe pressure for signing players like this so expensively. That's his lookout and his job on the line. I'm more concerned about us wasting a good opportunity to get it right in the transfer market, and from Moshiri's words this week it seems like this will be a very narrow window opening for us to spend given that he's talking up 'self sufficiency'.

Interesting segment on Sky Sports news at the moment about the importance of having two central midfielders who have pace and can defend. They've just analysed how it works in Tottenham's 4231, and also in Chelsea's 343, and explained how, in both systems, the degree to which the fullbacks can contribute in attack is dictated by the defensive prowess of the two CMs.

No mention, funnily enough, of the dynamite pairing of Barry and Cleverley.

So basically this guy along with Gueye will allow others to do what they do best without having to also do what the 2CM have been bought into do? Making the game easier for Baines and Coleman?

At least you're civil about it, unlike others here.

Look, my point is that this is a huge short term gamble paying 20 odd million on players who aren't top quality and aren't going to give much resale back. It's a roll of the dice at best.

I want to see us build something around a group of players in their early to mid twenties. This signing policy so far is madness for a club like this.

Morgan's a step up from what we have and it's an area we're weak in. If we try to blood lots of players in their early twenties we risk stagnating around 7th place.

For sure there's a risk in buying players "in their prime", so there's an element of rolling the dice, but if we don't become competitive with the so called "Big Six" in the next two or three years, then we risk falling further behind.

Taking a calculated risk now is plainly the Moshiri plan. Hoping to build a team round younger players and watch them grow was the Kenwright plan.

I prefer Moshiri's thinking tbh.

Oh

But at least he's increasing in value:
How is ANY of that contradictory? I'm clearly stating he is limited as a big money signing, so if we got him for £8M it'd be reasonable. Do you ever stop to think about these responses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back