Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Morgan Schneiderlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's clearly Morgan and Gana, and I'd like to see Davies tried further forward in Ross' spot

...yep, @maccavennie suggested the same earlier. Definitely worth a go. I don't think the manager is afraid of making such a change. I suppose his other option is to play Schneiderlin instead of Holgate (as in the 2nd half last night) but I'd like to see Davies in that advanced position. It'd be really interesting if Lookman also starts ahead of Mirallas.

Personally I don't see why not. His passing often leads to better openings than Ross holding onto the ball for too long.

Only have to look at his assists vs palace and city to know he has the vision!

I admit it wasn't Ross' best night, but even then he nearly every good attacking moment started with him. For example, the move for Davies' header late on started with a ball from Barkley out wide. I think people are way way too harsh on Barkley without looking at the bigger picture.

Every single one of our midfielders had occasions of giving the ball away last night, but it seems it's always Barkley who gets it in the neck. Probably because he has extra responsibility on him being the attacking link.

I'm not saying Davies couldn't do it, but as far as i'm aware he's not played as an attacking mid has he?

I admit it wasn't Ross' best night, but even then he nearly every good attacking moment started with him. For example, the move for Davies' header late on started with a ball from Barkley out wide. I think people are way way too harsh on Barkley without looking at the bigger picture.

Every single one of our midfielders had occasions of giving the ball away last night, but it seems it's always Barkley who gets it in the neck. Probably because he has extra responsibility on him being the attacking link.

I'm not saying Davies couldn't do it, but as far as i'm aware he's not played as an attacking mid has he?
I fully understand where you are coming from, and I am definitely harsh on barkley... but I just expect so much more from him.

Against palace I was buzzing because ross actually started popping off dangerous shots again. He took one shot of note yesterday and other than that, I felt he really slowed our attacks down consistently and his final ball just doesn't seem to be improving in my opinion.

He himself needs to be finding space further forward in the pitch, it's totally useless him dropping deeper to collect he ball if it leaves Lukaku isolated.

I've repeatedly mentioned lukaku is better with someone like bolasie or valencia playing close/off of him... this actually applies to barkley too because when played behind a front two he's more often than not caused trouble and the options in front of him have given better scope for a decent ball through.

Got to be honest, I thought Davies improved massively but was anonymous first half, and has an irritating habit of throwing himself to the deck.

Barkley tried to drive us on, and when he lost the ball he charged after it. Neither player benefited from McCarthy coming on and being utterly anonymous; even Schneiderlin became less effective.

Like what I see from him last night and he will only get better. Just looks class on the ball and fills you with confidence. Fact he played the full 90 says it all about his engine. Tough first game back but against Stoke away even harder. Him and Gana along with davies we have a top notch middle three along with Ross.

Got to be honest, I thought Davies improved massively but was anonymous first half, and has an irritating habit of throwing himself to the deck.

Barkley tried to drive us on, and when he lost the ball he charged after it. Neither player benefited from McCarthy coming on and being utterly anonymous; even Schneiderlin became less effective.
Agree here orly, but ross was really annoying whenever he wwent down last night he was throwing his arms up in the air as though it was definitely a foul when in reality he just got beasted.

Schneids went much deeper and I'm not sure where mccarthy was mesnt to be, looked ahead of the other midfielders to me at times which is laregly pointless because he offers the definition of 0 threat.

That being said mccarthy deffo helped us steady the ship, as we were getting rinsed with the long balls.

Personally I don't see why not. His passing often leads to better openings than Ross holding onto the ball for too long.

Only have to look at his assists vs palace and city to know he has the vision!
He's not good enough to play that role. He's a worker and I dont see the invention in him. You have to be very adept at getting your feet right and changing direction quickly and be constructing moves in your head two or three passes in advance. It is a hell of a task and that;s why these players are so expensive and thin on the ground. Davies couldn't do the job in a month of Sundays. He has his attributes and he's realising them where he starts now.

Schneiderlin just fitted in seamlessly and looked like he had played for us for years. Looks so comfortable on the ball and prepared to let people come and close him down and get rid of the ball just as they are closing on him, which opens more space for those around them. A few nice bits of skill as well, few times he kept hold of the ball when there were 2-3 players round him and either got the ball away or won a free kick. As someone else above mentioned good to see one of our players get into the ref as well regarding the goal - we have been too nice for far too long and although I don't like players surrounding referees we just let other teams walk all over us in this respect. Could see he is still a bit rusty which is to be expected considering how little he has played this season but definitely impressed.

He's not good enough to play that role. He's a worker and I dont see the invention in him. You have to be very adept at getting your feet right and changing direction quickly and be constructing moves in your head two or three passes in advance. It is a hell of a task and that;s why these players are so expensive and thin on the ground. Davies couldn't do the job in a month of Sundays. He has his attributes and he's realising them where he starts now.
Fair enough Davek. All good points fo be fair, I just personally see a little something in his vision of passing. Perhaps his other attributes would be lost further forward, mind.

This being said, I'm not suggesting davies would take over from barkley, just potentially an option when barkleys game isn't having it.

There are other options though too, playing tighter to lukaku etc or throwing another striker to produce options in front of him.

Schneids though ay? What did you think? I waa quietly impressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back