Moutinho - all talk in here please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying Everton isn't an attractive option. I'm just saying that it's not an obvious one.

Being part of the best league in the world (whatever that might mean) is not a guarantee of attractiveness to any sort of player.

The most aspired competition is without any doubt the Champions League. I'm sure Aimar chose Benfica over a number of English clubs because, although Benfica won't play CL this season, they have a real chance of doing it season after season.

The Premier League at the moment for me is the best in Europe. If it's not the best it's definatly in the top two Leagues. Every player wants to play in the strongest League, it part of every players development.

Look at Ajax for example. There top players keep on leaving them despite them playing in the Champions League most years, despite them being one of the biggest clubs in the world and despite them compeiting for domestic honours. I'd say the same thing goes for players in Portugal, excellent League but because of the lack of money and compeitition the big players are leaving.

Moutinho might feel that he needs to step it up a gear and compete in a stronger League. Test himself against better players in a different style of football.

sotnas, reading your posts, i'm confused. are you an evertonian or a sporting lisbon fan visiting this board?

So there are a lot of things that make this deal a hard one to do. At least at this point of the season. Which is pretty silly because if Everton reach 25M€ mark they should have done a month ago while the release clause was active.

Not that silly after all, we do not have that much money to launch a bid for moutinho without first selling AJ.

sotnas, reading your posts, i'm confused. are you an evertonian or a sporting lisbon fan visiting this board?

:D

Well, I was born from parents who support Benfica but since I was very little boy I started to support Sporting.

Everton just grew on me after the CWC. By that time I was 6/7 years old and a couple of years later I got a ZX Spectrum. Of course that being a footy crazy I went on playing footy games. almost all of them were about english clubs and I always chose Everton.

I watched the FA Cup final in 95 and believe I felt as happy as I did when Sporting regained the title after 18 years.

So it's really easy to answer you, I support both in a equal manner.

Sometimes it might look that I'm trying to compare both clubs or saying this is better than the other. But I try to keep my feet on the ground.

I love both clubs but can't tell you that everyone will go for us just because I'd like to.

In this matter, I have a different opinion of most of you guys, and that's just that. I just try to show it.

If you ask me If I was a player would I choose Everton or Sporting over any other club in the world? absolutely. But I'm not a footballer.

So I can't expect to be the pick of the bunch just because I want to be.

Everton might be an attractive option, I don't deny it. But it's not the obvious choice to someone who has no connection to the club whatsoever.

Playing to win every match is different to playing to win just most of them. It's different to be a defending champion or a challenger from being an outsider or even less.

Big profile players (and Moutinho is already one player of those) are expected to play at top teams. The pressure of the press on this matter is also important.

When a guy is linked with big clubs, not only in England, but also in Spain or Italy, at only 21 years of age, you just don't feel impelled to choose the first club abroad that comes knocking on your door.

Moutinho is only 21, guys. he has the whole time in the world to take his options. If he's been linked with big moves, after a good year and after estabilishing himself in the national side (which I remember you all is still not granted. this Euro was the first time he filled the shoes) the chance will be greater.

The bottom line is I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just not as optimistic about it as some of you lads.

There a lot of things in the way.

Last edited:
why is the release clause not active any more?

Because club and player defined a time period for that to happen in the contract. Imagine that this wasn't the case and the clause could be activated in tha last day of the transfer window. You wouldn't have time to replace an important player.

i see! good on you.

well if moutinho does leave sporting i guess it's a win-win scenario for you if he joins the blues!

Fair enough, Sotnas, I can see why your so split on this decision. On the one hand you want Everton to improve and on the other hand you want Sporting to improve.......It must be hard when something like this comes about.

I stand by my word though, I think it's very suspicious that Pini Zahvi is involved in this deal. I just don't see why he'd be representing us if Moutinho wasn't thinking about leaving. We'll see what happens.

On Moutinho, if we miss out we can always get Fernandes. I've always said any of the two would do me. I'd rather have Moutinho but Fernandes is also an excellent option in my opinion.

When Nani went to Utd, there were signs that the kid wanted to leave.

He had a contract dispute, stated a lot of times he'd like to go abroad.

That hasn't happened with Moutinho.

At the time, Sporting were in need of selling one player and they sold Nani.

This time is different. The club will hold on until January. If the CL goes boom, maybe they'll sell one of the stars. But if they're in the run for the championship it won't be so clear if they will want to sell.

I'm not forseeing Moutinho going AWOL or to open a dispute. So if the club doesn't want to sell, I'm sure it won't happen.

We've learned a lot from Porto's president about dealing with players who want to go.

So if the finances aren't under pressure, it will be tough to make them sell.

If we were talking about Veloso, I'd tell you that there were good chances to sign him. But in Moutinho's case I see things differently.

When Nani went to Utd, there were signs that the kid wanted to leave.

He had a contract dispute, stated a lot of times he'd like to go abroad.

That hasn't happened with Moutinho.

At the time, Sporting were in need of selling one player and they sold Nani.

This time is different. The club will hold on until January. If the CL goes boom, maybe they'll sell one of the stars. But if they're in the run for the championship it won't be so clear if they will want to sell.

I'm not forseeing Moutinho going AWOL or to open a dispute. So if the club doesn't want to sell, I'm sure it won't happen.

We've learned a lot from Porto's president about dealing with players who want to go.

So if the finances aren't under pressure, it will be tough to make them sell.

Why is Pini Zahavi representing us then?

How? he must support one more than the other I mean I support Marine in as much as I try to watch them if we are not playing,but if they ever played us then I would want them beaten(y)

Thats not always the case though. Some people have two teams. I'm guessing there are alot of foreign Evertonians who support two clubs, I know there are a few Dutch and American lads on here aswell as Sotnas (Portuguese). A few others aswell.

Why is Pini Zahavi representing us then?

That's easy. He's the player's agent. He knows Everton are keen on the kid.

So he's promoting a deal that will benefit him.

Probably he proposed the kid to Everton. The kid might have said he was keen.

But I don't believe the boy said "It's Everton or nothing". Probably he said something like "interesting, see what you can do"...

But that may not be enough to make the deal go through.

How? he must support one more than the other I mean I support Marine in as much as I try to watch them if we are not playing,but if they ever played us then I would want them beaten(y)

Well, that never really come out to test.

Both teams never played eachother, as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back