Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Stringing along" typically implies some kind of deceit.

You have nailed it, sir.

He is indeed being "deceitful".

He pretty much announced (via his assistant manager) that he wants investment or he's leaving.

Well, the club is umpteen million quid in debt and there will be no "investment" forthcoming so happen Bill will inform him of this(via his "assistant manager, of course)

If he cared owt about the club then he wouldn't be making this kind of impossible demand when the club's finances are in such a parlous state.

He's probably been even more direct and specific behind closed doors. He stated his demands and the board failed to meet them -- how is he stringing anyone along? Should he have immediately walked out in the middle of the season? .

Big word that, "probably".

It means you haven't a clue what Moyes said to anyone on the quiet but want to flesh out a non-existent argument.

BTW....I think if Moyes was going (which he ain't because no club with better prospects than EFC is interested in him as Spurs demonstrated last year) then he would indeed have "immediately walked out in the middle of the season".

He could have been installed at Stamford Bridge already.....or even Bayern Munich before they gave the job to Pep.

But as you say, he is deceitfully stringing us along just in case the media is right and "Chesea, City and a host of Bundesliga clubs" are pursuing his signature ( in yesterday's Mail on Sunday).

Q: What would you prefer:
1- Moyes leaving now for Chelsea or whatever kind of free gig he can find
2- Sir Alex promises him as the heir of Utd throne, therefore he takes the pay at Everton until SAF dies, upon which he'll leave immediately.

If he cared owt about the club then he wouldn't be making this kind of impossible demand when the club's finances are in such a parlous state.
I disagree. People have been crying out for him to do this for years -- if anything it's too little too late but it's by no means out of line to ask the board for some money so we can buy players.

It means you haven't a clue what Moyes said to anyone on the quiet but want to flesh out a non-existent argument.
That is your assumption of what I intended. It is not accurate. Moyes has said this ...

Moyes said:
"I'm waiting on some information coming back to me and we'll talk again when we get all that information. I can't say what the budget is and whether that will be enough until I get the breakdown and see how it will all work but what I have got to ensure is that, as a club, we achieve what we are capable of.
So that certainly sounds like he at some point asked for some more details on a budget and is awaiting those results. Which means the ball is currently in the board's court (or in fairness it was as of March 30th ... I don't think we have any newer updates). Unless he's lying I suppose ... there are some quotes from BK which confirm that Moyes asked him for more transfer money (we obviously don't know for sure if that answer has or has not been provided).

The board has ample time and ample warning that Moyes leaving is a very real (if not the most likely) scenario. They can prepare accordingly.

BTW....I think if Moyes was going (which he ain't because no club with better prospects than EFC is interested in him as Spurs demonstrated last year) then he would indeed have "immediately walked out in the middle of the season".
Even among those who want Moyes gone I doubt you'll find many people who think he would do that.

But as you say, he is deceitfully stringing us along
LOL. Does that ever work with anyone?

On the upside we can afford to spend more on a new managers wage than all but about 20 other teams Europe.

On the downside a new manager wouldn't have much in the way of funds to build 'his' team, so he'll either have to work with what he's got or disassemble the current squad. Option 1 means we need someone who can be a more or less straight replacement for Moyer in terms of a tactical mindset (hard to find and potentially unpopular). Option 2 could eventually lead to the change in culture lots of people on here would like to see but comes with a massive risk of an extended transition period and with it results getting worse before they get a lot better.

When you have such a massive character at a club it can be hard to move on. Just look at Chelsea's failed attempts to move on from mourinho. Even now they've not nailed it. Whereas I think one of the main reasons laudrup has been successful at Swansea is that there the culture has been embedded in the club rather than coming from the manager. They've now successfully moved on from losing several managers, always keeping the same 'project' in place.

I guess I think it's not so much a case of who do we want as what do we want to be?

Given the choice I'd like us to give Marco Van Basten a shot. Has done a decent job at Herenveen even though he has to almost rebuild his side every year. Plays the game in the right style and feel he could do for us what Laudrup has done at Swansea ie football style etc.

Given the choice I'd like us to give Marco Van Basten a shot. Has done a decent job at Herenveen even though he has to almost rebuild his side every year. Plays the game in the right style and feel he could do for us what Laudrup has done at Swansea ie football style etc.

Not a bad shout, big name too to attract players. Prefer it going to him than Martinez or Malky M.

Now this I could get on with.

Brilliant shout mate.

Jorge Jesus of Benfica allegedly wants to join an English club. However he is 58 so probably too old.

Why do people keep suggesting people who were good players but have dodgy track records as managers? If you look at the best managers around very few were top class players and some of the best never played at all. Playing and managing are very different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back