Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
11 defeats in all competitions in the last 64 games. Best record of any Premier league team.

3rd most points of any club in the league in calendar year 2012

Spending since the end of last season amongst clubs that have finished in the top 8 in the last 3 years:
Manchester United: £48m (£36m net)
Manchester City: £54m (40m net)
Arsenal: £52m (£8m net)
Chelsea: £92m (£72m net)
Spurs: £61m (-£1m net)
Liverpool: £48.8m (£40m net)
Newcastle £25.8m (£13m net)
Aston Villa £25.7m (£23.7m net)
Everton: £15m (-£3m net)

Include wages and you'll see that since the start of last season:
The two clubs with the closest total budgets to us are fighting relegation (Villa spending £50m more, Newcastle £15m more)
We are above Liverpool who have spend over £100m more
And are within a few points of Tottenham, Chelsea and Arsenal who spend between £60m more and £160m more.

Imagine what we could do with a manager who wasn't as ****e as Moyes :blink:

11 defeats in all competitions in the last 64 games. Best record of any Premier league team.

Spending since the end of last season amongst clubs that have finished in the top 8 in the last 3 years:

The two clubs with the closest total budgets to us are fighting relegation (Villa spending £50m more, Newcastle £15m more)
And are within a few points of Tottenham, Chelsea and Arsenal who spend between £60m more and £160m more.

Whilst not disputing the facts above, but a couple of things bug me. For example, why 64 games? And we don't compete in Europe, so arguably have easier teams to play in those 64 games.

Whilst not disputing the facts above, but a couple of things bug me. For example, why 64 games? And we don't compete in Europe, so arguably have easier teams to play in those 64 games.

And Moyes wants to go if he gets the chance so... yeah, he's been great, but once he's gone he's gone

There are some good points in amongst that and I can see your point for him staying, but, The only thing that matters is how many points you get in a season not calendar year.

Winning a lot and losing a few more is better than a load of draws.

but its 1 or 2 key games in a season that matter the most that define the season he ****s up on. when the pressure is on he cant pull it out of the bag like other teams can.

but its 1 or 2 key games in a season that matter the most that define the season he ****s up on. when the pressure is on he cant pull it out of the bag like other teams can.

Which other teams?
The only teams to have won an FA Cup from 1991 onwards are Chelsea (6), Liverpool (3), Manchester United (4), Arsenal (5) with Everton, Portsmouth and Man City winning one each. I don't see a lot of teams pulling it out on the big occasions.

The league has gone to Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal or City in every year since Moyes has been in charge.

We haven't won the league cup whilst Birmingham, Swansea and Boro have. That is a failing but for whatever reasons it doesn't seem to be a cup that anyone actually cares about.

Which other teams?
The only teams to have won an FA Cup from 1991 onwards are Chelsea (6), Liverpool (3), Manchester United (4), Arsenal (5) with Everton, Portsmouth and Man City winning one each. I don't see a lot of teams pulling it out on the big occasions.

The league has gone to Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal or City in every year since Moyes has been in charge.

We haven't won the league cup whilst Birmingham, Swansea and Boro have. That is a failing but for whatever reasons it doesn't seem to be a cup that anyone actually cares about.

Agreed. But it shouldnt be.

Imagine we were where we are in the league right now but we'd won the League Cup. I'd be much happier today.

Which other teams?

oh ok i guess it's ok that we don't do well in the league cup then. Because no one actually cares about it. Thanks for that. Why does your sample only include 64 games by the way? Does it get worse when you stretch it out to 65?

Where did you find those stats? Would like to see more

I would like to believe that Moyes is competitive and ambitious and brilliant, and feels that after 10 years of solidly managing at a certain level he would like to try his luck with greater resources and win some titles.
I also feel that he is proud of his reign at Everton and recognizes that the security he has here is unlikely to follow him anywhere else.
For these reasons I would really really really like to imagine that IF he signs it is a clear indication that plans are in place to allow Moyes to achieve personal ambitions at Everton. I really really hope that due to his massive boner for Moyes, Kenwright has figured out SOMETHING.
I think Moyes signing on is our best option, because if Moyes doesn't it just means we're sitting in the same situation but with a new manager, who might be better, might be worse, but either way won't do anything as far as taking Everton to a new level is concerned... Actually has nothing to do with Moyes in particular (although my stance for those who are curious is this: sometimes he's great. sometimes he's also shiit. i wish he was more of the former and less of the latter.)

Which other teams?

Take your point about the past, but how about the present? In 2013, this Everton side is fully capable of some kind of silverware.

The more I think about it I really hope it isn't Martinez.

There's absolutely no reason why we can't approach Martin Jol. He's experienced and surely would be interested in moving from Fulham to Everton. Although Martinez has more experience I'd also rather have Steve Clarke from WBA.

If neither of them then It's probably best to look on the continent. Maybe the Real Sociedad or Real Betis manager? Don't know anything about them but they're doing a much better job than Martinez.

Take your point about the past, but how about the present? In 2013, this Everton side is fully capable of some kind of silverware.

Capable of winning a cup - yes but so are lots of other teams. Given a favourable draw and a fully fit team we'd have a good chance. There are only two cups a season available to win however.

The league? No. Nowhere near.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back