Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about it I really hope it isn't Martinez.

There's absolutely no reason why we can't approach Martin Jol. He's experienced and surely would be interested in moving from Fulham to Everton. Although Martinez has more experience I'd also rather have Steve Clarke from WBA.

If neither of them then It's probably best to look on the continent. Maybe the Real Sociedad or Real Betis manager? Don't know anything about them but they're doing a much better job than Martinez.

What makes you think Jol would do a better job than Moyes? He is currently working on a similar budget and is about 16 points worse off with fewer scored and more let in.

The only time he has done as well as Moyes was when backed with a bigger budget at Spurs.

The more I think about it I really hope it isn't Martinez.

There's absolutely no reason why we can't approach Martin Jol. He's experienced and surely would be interested in moving from Fulham to Everton. Although Martinez has more experience I'd also rather have Steve Clarke from WBA.

If neither of them then It's probably best to look on the continent. Maybe the Real Sociedad or Real Betis manager? Don't know anything about them but they're doing a much better job than Martinez.

To be fair what's Jol done or won as a manager? He looks happier and he's not bad in the transfer market but he's not a 'winner' of the type we need.

Didn't do much at Ajax either.

What makes you think Jol would do a better job than Moyes? He is currently working on a similar budget and is about 16 points worse off with fewer scored and more let in.

The only time he has done as well as Moyes was when backed with a bigger budget at Spurs.

To be fair what's Jol done or won as a manager? He looks happier and he's not bad in the transfer market but he's not a 'winner' of the type we need.

Didn't do much at Ajax either.

I never said he'd do better than Moyes, but just looking round the league table he's probably the best we could hope for. He's in 8th or 9th with Fulham and they're a much smaller club than ours with a pathetic away following, they rarely win on the road. I think he'd be a fairly safe bet considering his experience and credentials. And I like his smile.

I never said he'd do better than Moyes, but just looking round the league table he's probably the best we could hope for. He's in 8th or 9th with Fulham and they're a much smaller club than ours with a pathetic away following, they rarely win on the road. I think he'd be a fairly safe bet considering his experience and credentials. And I like his smile.

I agree with that. I just want someone who looks genuinely obsessed with winning! Like a footballing version of the Eggheads!

I'm actually excited thinking about the prospect of a new manager with a new philosophy and style of play.

Moyes has laid the ground work to build on, and the ground work has been there for a number of years now. It's about time someone came in with some bricks and mortar and finished the job off.

I'm actually excited thinking about the prospect of a new manager with a new philosophy and style of play.

Moyes has laid the ground work to build on, and the ground work has been there for a number of years now. It's about time someone came in with some bricks and mortar and finished the job off.

Finished the job off?

What are you expecting, someone to come in, sign half a dozen players and turn us into title contenders?

I think you are forgetting that even if we bring Dynamo in to run affairs, despite his wizadry and magic he will still have to deal with and receive zero financial support from this totally inept and useless board.

when Moyes was being sounded for the spurs job i was guttered. but then Martinez from Wigan was being touted our next manager and since then i havnt been bothered about moyes leaving, as long as Martinez comes in to take over :)
He runs a similar position at Wigan were he controls everything ins and out so would more than likely suit him down to the ground. i hope this happens this summer. ive become bored of Moyes now, no offence hes done a great job for us always up in and around the top 6 places.

As much as I think Jol would be a pretty good guy for the job mentality-wise, he hasn't got the transfer market nouse that we really need given our limited resources.

13m for Jenas, 7m for Andy Reid, 4m for Atouba, as well as countless other 1-3m purchases. Frivolous spendage is not what we need, especially given his tendency to overpay for mediocre natives. Gets a few decent foreigners on the cheap mind, which is always fun.

We need a manager that has never been sacked, up and coming manager who knows the modern game. I have no idea who that would be but a O'neil type replacement would see us stagnate even further.

Capable of winning a cup - yes but so are lots of other teams. Given a favourable draw and a fully fit team we'd have a good chance. There are only two cups a season available to win however.

The league? No. Nowhere near.

I thought we had a favourable draw? :(

I agree with that. I just want someone who looks genuinely obsessed with winning! Like a footballing version of the Eggheads!
The only scenario I can see for us to get someone like that is they want to use us as a stepping stone. Remember if Moyes has left it's because the board refused to support him with funds. So if you're a hot commodity in the manager market why do you sign with EFC over other top-tier clubs here and abroad?

Instead he is stringing our club along in the forlorn hope that he will receive a better offer.
"Stringing along" typically implies some kind of deceit. He pretty much announced (via his assistant manager) that he wants investment or he's leaving. He's probably been even more direct and specific behind closed doors. He stated his demands and the board failed to meet them -- how is he stringing anyone along? Should he have immediately walked out in the middle of the season?

Just to clarify:

A: "Oh yeah sure I'm going to sign one day I've just been busy, my lawyers need to look over it again, I need to change pargraph 7, section B, line 6 a little ..." while all the time talking to other clubs.

B: "If you don't give me some funds to buy players I will definitely leave."

B is not stringing anyone along.

And I think it a disgrace that Bill Kenwright has allowed Moyes the freedom to treat EFC so comtemptuously.
Congratulations on writing disgrace and Bill Kenwright in the same sentence but NOT intended the disgrace to apply to BK ... that might be a first.

He should have told him to commit himself to the club or just go.
If that had happened do you think it would be wise to announce that to the staff, players and fans in the midst of (what was until this past weekend) a hunt for a European spot?

Sometimes it's okay to just say we don't have a clear picture of what is actually going on instead of just making stuff up in your mind and then getting angry at the thing you just invented.

Everton Football Club is bigger and better than David Moyes.
"Good" news: nobody will think the next manager is bigger than Everton Football Club.

Last edited:
As much as I think Jol would be a pretty good guy for the job mentality-wise, he hasn't got the transfer market nouse that we really need given our limited resources.

13m for Jenas, 7m for Andy Reid, 4m for Atouba, as well as countless other 1-3m purchases. Frivolous spendage is not what we need, especially given his tendency to overpay for mediocre natives. Gets a few decent foreigners on the cheap mind, which is always fun.

I heard that he also relies on one particular agent for his transfers (hence El Hamdaoui following him everywhere) and doesn't do a lot of work on the training ground with players. There were rumours when he was at Hamburg that the players were far from impressed with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back