Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt both Big Nev (legand) and Dave Watson were great players but don't forget they were in the twlight of their careers in 97/98 season so it is unfair to say they nearly got Everton relegated because most of their teamates were crap.

So when it comes to wigan the whole defence is at fault (even though they hardly fielded their first choice defence all season) but when Chico takes you to task about Everton legends, its all the fault of the other players. You're not making sense you're just making a noise to try and back your (proven) paper thin arguments.

I was talking about four years earlier than that mate. They were both still fine players.

Again, our teams in the 90s (the worst was 97/98) were a bit crap except the team of 95/96 (because of Kanchelskis and Limpar mainly). Ok, they were fine players but some of their teammates let them down.

If we sign players from Wigan then it kind of gives Moyes the greenlight to come back for our players, so I say leave them where they are

I don't understand your logic..... A gentleman's deal between moyes and Kenwright has what to do with a not even conceived deal between Martinez and Whelan?

So when it comes to wigan the whole defence is at fault (even though they hardly fielded their first choice defence all season) but when Chico takes you to task about Everton legends, its all the fault of the other players. You're not making sense you're just making a noise to try and back your (proven) paper thin arguments.

Well their players weren't 35 or 38 years old were they?

Hey and Everton never get relegated in the 90s.

Last edited:

He does seem conceited in his views and wrong on so many levels... You could place him on the ignore list ;)

That doesn't really back your argument of how great he was.

Or make sense....

Hard to judge managers/players as sometimes circumstances play a huge part.
I think Martinez is a promising manager. Turning down approches from Villa and Liverpool show's he must be doing something right. I do worry about the amount of goals Wigan ship though. Look at Pardew last year compared to this season. He has a vastly superior fan base and more potential to suceed at Newcastle but they could and maybe should have been relegated this season.

Regarding whom we should sign/avoid. Pienaar for Everton is excellent. Pienaar for Spurs, garbage. Sometimes people just fit a place.

Whoever we get in are going to have pros and cons. I'm probably in with the majority in that I'm not so sure who the right man is. Saying that it's prudent option because not one of us knows how it will roll with that new man as manager. It is going to be a tough ask to reproduce the consistency of Moyes and his proficiency in the transfer market which was key for us in the predicament we are in as a club.

There's a tendency to focus on the negatives of all of the candidates for the role and that's heightened more by those who for some reason think they know who the right man is and have gone all in behind them. It's foolish. There was not one reference to Vitor Pereira on this forum previous to May, go on search it. Only a handful of mentions of Rangnick too. So how much do you really know? Or do you just like the fact they're something unknown and different and are seduced by it?

Similar for Martinez, he's just got a team relegated and more worryingly for me four of his key players have been allowed to run down their contracts and leave for free this summer.

It's easy to focus on the negatives but whoever gets the job will need the full backing of the fanbase. None of this "he isn't who I wanted" sh*t. This is Everton not Britain's Got Talent. We've got a really important season or two coming up that will effect our short and immediate future, the last thing we need is a fractured fanbase even further.

Again, our teams in the 90s (the worst was 97/98) were a bit crap except the team of 95/96 (because of Kanchelskis and Limpar mainly). Ok, they were fine players but some of their teammates let them down.

Mate I went home and away for a long period of that. Equally sh*te were the 94 and 98 teams. But that's my point, we can't sneer at players brought in from relegated clubs.

Mate I went home and away for a long period of that. Equally sh*te were the 94 and 98 teams. But that's my point, we can't sneer at players brought in from relegated clubs.

He won't listen, he will just write some nonsense that will take you ten minutes to workout what he's answering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back