Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever we get in are going to have pros and cons. I'm probably in with the majority in that I'm not so sure who the right man is. Saying that it's prudent option because not one of us knows how it will roll with that new man as manager. It is going to be a tough ask to reproduce the consistency of Moyes and his proficiency in the transfer market which was key for us in the predicament we are in as a club.

There's a tendency to focus on the negatives of all of the candidates for the role and that's heightened more by those who for some reason think they know who the right man is and have gone all in behind them. It's foolish. There was not one reference to Vitor Pereira on this forum previous to May, go on search it. Only a handful of mentions of Rangnick too. So how much do you really know? Or do you just like the fact they're something unknown and different and are seduced by it?

Similar for Martinez, he's just got a team relegated and more worryingly for me four of his key players have been allowed to run down their contracts and leave for free this summer.

It's easy to focus on the negatives but whoever gets the job will need the full backing of the fanbase. None of this "he isn't who I wanted" sh*t. This is Everton not Britain's Got Talent. We've got a really important season or two coming up that will effect our short and immediate future, the last thing we need is a fractured fanbase even further.

Chico...fine words but the people who run this club are ****s and dont care about the fans.

I, say let the club break apart it will be for the best because the owners count on you all to say " oh cmon then lets all get behind the club even if we have been mugged off". Not for me...no thanks

It,s time evertonians reclaimed their club and stop going along with the **** coming out of GP and the echo.

moyes had to sell arteta, pienaar, yak and beckford and have no money to spend mate but still had us around the top end of the table martinez would have had us scrapping for survival

Neither Pienaar, Yakubu or Beckford was forced sales mate. And were working with a wage bill much bigger than Wigan's.

It doesn't excuse the stagnant board but it was a tactic Moyes employed to pay top wages rather than scrimp and use the money towards transfer fees. He's a useful tool to have when you're looking to retain good players too.

Not really, Guardiola is a world renowned manager, there isn't a fan on here who hasn't had to look up Vitor or Ralf on google to gain an insight into them. That in itself proves the risk

I think Martinez is the best of the three names, but I'm skeptical of the idea that someone who provably has failed in the prem is a less risky than someone who's succeeded elsewhere and never managed in the prem.

moyes had to sell arteta, pienaar, yak and beckford and have no money to spend mate but still had us around the top end of the table martinez would have had us scrapping for survival

Everton were paying 75k a week by this point. I doubt Wigans top earner tops 30. That allows a better caliber of player, everyone is saying who has Martinez signed but what top player wants to sign for Wigan

Chico...fine words but the people who run this club are ****s and dont care about the fans.

I, say let the club break apart it will be for the best because the owners count on you all to say " oh cmon then lets all get behind the club even if we have been mugged off". Not for me...no thanks

It,s time evertonians reclaimed their club and stop going along with the **** coming out of GP and the echo.

I agree mate, it took me some time but I come to the same conclusion about those running the club over the years.

I'd hate to see us break apart though mate, it's a hard thing to recover from. We need to make sure we can limited the damage of having not enough money and incompetents running the show but having a decent manager who can make it tick until the day that change comes.

Not really, Guardiola is a world renowned manager, there isn't a fan on here who hasn't had to look up Vitor or Ralf on google to gain an insight into them. That in itself proves the risk

same way malaga would have to google martinez mate, Periera has lost one game in 2 seasons and Rangnick has built teams successfully both have won silverware and have CL experience so why is martinez a lesser risk considering he has just been relegated?

They had eight first team players injured at one point this season and never had a settled defence all season through injury. We say injuries cripple our squad so imagine what it did to wigan.

Neither Pienaar, Yakubu or Beckford was forced sales mate. And were working with a wage bill much bigger than Wigan's.

It doesn't excuse the stagnant board but it was a tactic Moyes employed to pay top wages rather than scrimp and use the money towards transfer fees. He's a useful tool to have when you're looking to retain good players too.

By top wages, we're only talking like the 10th highest mind.

But you're right both Martinez and Moyes over the last few years have sold to fund the wages rather than to fund transfers.

That's the main difference between Jewell at Wigan to Bruce and martinez at wigan, Jewell spent transfer money and paid nothing wages, the other two paid better than relegation wages but no transfer fees. This year was their first year since jewell left where they paid bottom 3 wages and that's why they went down.

Everton were paying 75k a week by this point. I doubt Wigans top earner tops 30. That allows a better caliber of player, everyone is saying who has Martinez signed but what top player wants to sign for Wigan

what top player wanted to sign for everton mate when moyes first arrived? the sign of a good manager is building a strong side even when the odds are against you, he brought in jags and lescott and cahill from lower league sides, arteta through scouting Martinez hasnt

By top wages, we're only talking like the 10th highest mind.

But you're right both Martinez and Moyes over the last few years have sold to fund the wages rather than to fund transfers.

That's the main difference between Jewell at Wigan to Bruce and martinez at wigan, Jewell spent transfer money and paid nothing wages, the other two paid better than relegation wages but no transfer fees. This year was their first year since jewell left where they paid bottom 3 wages and that's why they went down.

So I wasn't completely wrong?

"Everton still assessing the merits of three managerial candidates - but Martinez still the very firm favourite ahead of Pereira/Rangnick. @philmcnulty 4 hours ago"

I must be missing something. Since when do we pay "top wages"?

We pay wages bigger than our transfer spend implies, but not "top wages" by any stretch of the imagination.

Is that true? I love learning wee stats like that. I suppose ours is offset somewhat by the smaller squad we have too. As we pay some top dollar wages for the division, ex manager included like.

Aye.

Arsenal have a low cap but pay like their reserves the same as their stars so the overall wage bill dwarfs ours. Whereas we have two or three of three million a year, Moyes, Fellaini, Heitinga etc and the rest on feck all.

If you read any of my dull as feck financial threads, you'd know this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back