• From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
MSN POLL

Who should be the next manager of Everton?

12 %
Neil Lennon
423 votes
1 %
Vitor Pereira
53 votes
14 %
Michael Laudrup
470 votes
39 %
Roberto Martinez
1,318 votes
18 %
Phil Neville
597 votes
8 %
Duncan Ferguson
286 votes
8 %
Steve Clarke
264 votes

O lord
I have no idea which fans they've been asking!

I wrote this for another forum (non Everton), so may as well post it here.

Let's start from the top with the bookies favourites.

• Roberto Martinez: As I said in the Fergie retirement thread I don't want this guy any where near the club. He's seriously overrated and about to relegate Wigan finally. I know he can tactically be quite good, his training methodology is apparently very good from what I've been told by people who did their UFEA Pro with him, but his teams can't defend at all, no matter the quality of players they have it's just awful. People say he deserves better players and could do better with good players but his teams have constantly been fighting relegation, even Bruce and Jewell managed to finish higher up than him during their time. So just no.

• Neil Lennon: No, just no. I don't even understand why people think he's suited for the job. They're about to win the league on the lowest ever points tally for winning the SPL and they're the only team in the bloody thing!

• Mark Hughes: Did okay at Fulham, but City just went badly wrong, he bought Jo for £18m or what ever it was and then loaned him out to us! QPR was a complete disaster. I don't think the club would like him after the Lescott transfer and what he said.

• Malky Mackay: The Malky Bar Kid? :confused: He's just been promoted with Cardiff, will apparently be given money to try and build a Premier League surviving side I just don't think he'd take the job. I just don't think he'd take the job and push us further than Moyes has.

• Phil Neville: Do me a favour!

• Martin O'Neill: Things went downhill big time for him towards the end at Villa, he seems like a genuinely nice guy but after his time away he just seems to have lost his spark. He didn't seem to be able to motivate or get anything out of his players at Sunderland, particularly Sessegnon who's been a machine since Di Canio took over, until he got sent off of course. I just don't think he's got it in him right now, maybe he should do what Steve Bruce has done and go down a level to build his confidence up.

• Roberto Di Matteo: Weird one really Chelsea job was just strange. At WBA he seemed to have a bit of a mixed bag, I've read things about him being lazy, not putting in work, preparation, training sessions, seems to not be the biggest fan among WBA fans.

• Michael Laudrup: The only viable domestic based manger option I feel. Though question marks around his longevity and the fact that we'd have to pay quite a bit to get him from Swansea.

So then the fan's choices. Ignoring the *cough* fans who want one of the above there are two main people the majority of fans want the club looking at. Also if you read the two main Everton forums the majority of fans also want a continental manger, rather than a domestic one.

• Vitor Pereira: Current Porto coach, won the league last season in his first season, currently two games remaining and at the weekend they play Benfica who are 1st 2 points above them. His contract is ending at the end of this season as well so he wouldn't cost anything. Likes to stick with his 4-3-3 formation which Porto fans can find frustrating as they believe a few of their players are not suited to it, also he isn't on the same level of AVB and has a bit of an ego about it, which seems to have riled a few fans. Apparently there was a bit of boo'ing when he lifted the trophy last season. :D He is ****ing sexy as anything though.

• Thomas Tuchel: Mainz manager in the Bundesliga since 2009, very much a Moyes style story. He took over when they got promoted to the Bundesliga and they've since finished 9th, 5th, 13th and are sitting 10th at the moment. He's worked on a massively limited budget there, stabilised them and done pretty well. He's very highly regarded in Germany, he does employ some interesting coaching techniques. A lot of varying psychological training techniques and coping strategies, has a massive variation of physical training sessions, never any repetition of drills. He works with Professors at Mainz University so a players at Everton may take a bit of time to get adapted to his way of working. Runs a 4-2-3-1 which is what Moyes has been doing so the players will be suited to his formation.

So then I wouldn't mind either of those two guys, though after watching and reading some about Tuchel I'm leaning towards him. Those are some problems about attracting the two above and the ones below but I'll get into them in a bit.

We then have what I would call the high class managers who are ambitious and progressive the type of manger we need to be aiming at in order to move the club forward in the right direction and build on what Moyes has built, with fresh ideas and ambitions. So here is my own short list of managers who are currently contracted.

Frank de Boer, Danny Blind, [Poor language removed] Advocaat, Ronald Koemann, Marco van Basten, Rene Girard, Marcelo Bielsa (mentalist but he might be okay) and I did have Manuel Pellegrini but he's off to City so never mind.

Then we have my short list of manager who are currently without a club.

Huub Stevens, Bert van Marwijck, Heiko Vogel and Bernd Schuster.

But here's the issues, Kenwright probably doesn't even know who Thomas Tuchel is, or know that Mainz is in Germany! I just don't think the board will be ambitious enough in either picking the manager or backing the new manager financially. I can't see them having the bottle to approach one of the high class managers, or being able to match their ambition apart from maybe Heiko Vogel.

We're so close to the edge to moving forward massively, we're 6 points off Europa League with 2 games to go. If Jelavic had been on song this season or if we had actually made additions to the squad in January be that Fer or Negredo (though it may have been a phantom story after the Fer deal went sour) we'd be well in the mix. A few more goals, turning our massive amount of draws into wins and we'd going into the end of the season looking at CL football. Next season the players can do the same even if we lose someone like Fellaini but we need more quality in depth of the squad and more goals and we'll be up there fighting once again but we have to invest no matter who the manager is because Liverpool are improving, Spurs will probably spend again so they'll be in the mix as well.

I feel the club might fall short in matching these managers ambitions in their willingness / ability to give the necessary transfer funds needed to improve the squad and show one of the above manager that we're serious about getting into Europe. We're also going to be losing several players in Neville, Hitz and Mucha all on frees, Gueye probably won't be there either again. So money even has to be available to the new manager just to add bloody squad players without resorting to youth players, but it'll actually be nice to see the likes of Barkley and Duffy chances. Then with maybe Fellaini and possibly Baines leaving the new manager will need money to replace key assets, though I think funds will be available through the new TV deal but I worry that the club won't trust the new manager enough to hand them a massive pile of money from the TV deal and sales of players.

There is a lot of negative stigma (from fans who know what's going on) attached to the board right now, but rightly so and they can possibly regain some credibility and give the chance to a manger on becoming and instant Everton hero. Only time will tell but I'm very excited but also seriously anxious because no body knows if the board will be ambitious or just be meh and just settle. I know the board will do what they feel is best for Everton football club and I will be patient with them but I really don't see any of the bookies favourites being the answer.

Any way enough of the rambling, Tuchel or Pereira I'm fine with... one of the high class managers would be incredible especially if they were given a good amount of funds to push the club over the edge into Europe and / or win a trophy... I really think we're on the brink but it all comes down to the board and their own ambitions.

edit--------------->

But now this has happened...

David The Toffee ‏@lcabbabeh 4m

Hearin the McKay thing is cz #KoffMoyles Tipped Him Up
#Jesus

Ohhhhhhhhhh

Last edited:

Everton sacked Moyes in December '12 on my FM13 game, hired Martin O'Neill, then got relegated in the same season. Sacked O'Neill, hired redknapp sold all our best players and are now midtable in the championship getting beaten 3-1 at home by Barnsley.

Long story short don't hire O'Neill

He's already got his Kop greeting down...Tuchel IN

tuchel-1360515791_zoom21_crop_560x205_560x205+0+80.jpg

[*]Thomas Tuchel: Mainz manager in the Bundesliga since 2009, very much a Moyes style story. He took over when they got promoted to the Bundesliga and they've since finished 9th, 5th, 13th and are sitting 10th at the moment. He's worked on a massively limited budget there, stabilised them and done pretty well. He's very highly regarded in Germany, he does employ some interesting coaching techniques. A lot of varying psychological training techniques and coping strategies, has a massive variation of physical training sessions, never any repetition of drills. He works with Professors at Mainz University so a players at Everton may take a bit of time to get adapted to his way of working. Runs a 4-2-3-1 which is what Moyes has been doing so the players will be suited to his formation.

FFS please tell me my favourite candidate isn't 1 step from that Frenchman who wouldnt pick plyers born under the pisces star sign.
On a serious note, if we got this guy I'd be cautiously optimistic that moyes leaving us might not have been the worst thing to happen, and we could get even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back