Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah true, but I feel like you effectively loose a man in the middle as you have one extra defender staying back.... I know they are meant to get forward a little... But it is never to the same effect as fullbacks.... And by their nature, defenders are never as good on the ball, play making dribbling ect..... I feel it is quite a negative defensive tactic...... Like when we are attacking under Moyes, we practically play two at the back.... You could see how disjointed we were when we played three at the back this season...

Its defo not a negative tactic; its quite extreme and aggressive for attacking. You obviously need to play a high line, both defensive and attacking and keep the pressure on there defence. Its the wide separation of the 3 at the back when is possession that allows total possession of the ball, full backs push up, wingers tuck in; and quite quickly it becomes a 3-2-5

You are using Juventus and the old Barcelona as example. Christ, their managers are/were not Martinez.

Read my old posts, I have said it all along, in the Premier League no top team use 3-4-3.

Apart from City who have used it a couple of times this season. Just because a team in the PL doesn't use it doesn't mean its a bad formation; its how its utilised, not what you think of it

Apart from City who have used it a couple of times this season. Just because a team in the PL doesn't use it doesn't mean its a bad formation; its how its utilised, not what you think of it

And my point is Martinez cannot utilise it to get results. His awful defensive works do not convince me he is any good.

Its defo not a negative tactic; its quite extreme and aggressive for attacking. You obviously need to play a high line, both defensive and attacking and keep the pressure on there defence. Its the wide separation of the 3 at the back when is possession that allows total possession of the ball, full backs push up, wingers tuck in; and quite quickly it becomes a 3-2-5

Yeah I agree that would be awesome in theory.... But how often do you see it work like that... Also, there really aren't that many good ball playing defenders out there... Especially in our price range.... I just think most of the time your extra defender becomes redundant...

Lets be honest, they play better football than us and thats with players he's had to convince to move to wigan.
He's got that 'started swansea playing good footy' tag and he's obviously a student of the game.
I'd love it if Bill surprised us all with one of these boss sounding foreign managers tho.

Nope. I just remembered we finished 6th/7th every season whereas Wigan is going to relegate with 36 points. Points are everything and holloywood pass won't win you the games.

Wigan do not player better football than we do, ffs.

This cup final is what I meant by play better football than us. I'm sure they'll go on to get ****ted but they ping it around better than we normally do in big games

This cup final is what I meant by play better football than us. I'm sure they'll go on to get ****ted but they ping it around better than we normally do in big games

I don't care whether a team is playing "attractive and attacking" football at all. The most important thing is to get 3 points week in week out even Everton are playing as dull as they could.

I get what you mean though. Wigan are attacking as much as they could and won't bottle it in the final.

What about the other 99% of games......

This is the main issue for me. He can clearly get it team up for big games and they play well when it matters, something which Moyes has had criticism for. But we want to be finishing high up in the league and we won't do that if out manager can't get us up for the 'bread and butter' games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back