Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That Portuguese league though...how good is it? Where Sontas giving us the scoop on this ffs.

It looks a pish poor league.

"The Liga ZON Sagres is contested by 16 clubs each season, but only five of them have won the title. Founded in 1934, the league is in its 79th edition (counting four provisional championships in the 1930s) and is dominated by the nicknamed "Big Three": SL Benfica, FC Porto, and Sporting CP, who have a total of 76 titles, with Belenenses and Boavista winning the other two."

The league has also been won undefeated by Benfica twice. Porto once under AVB and it looks like they could do it again.

Now that into perspective. 90% of the teams in that league are shocking.

So is everyone still got the Mourinho boner they had when he turned up, then AVB... Now this feller.

Where as say Martinez who has spent fook all, kept a tiny north west town in the league against the odds in the toughest league in the world, and just won a domestic cup against the richest club in the world and got them into Europe...

I'm seriously thinking this Pilau Rice bloke at Porto as it easy to be honest

Considering the size of Porto Vitor Periera has had nothing to spend either, he doesn't have half the team AVB or Mourinho had. I remember us being dicked by one of those Portuguese teams.

Seriously can't be doing with meffs who think the Prem in the be all and end all.
WHY HAVEN'T WE WON 50 WORLD CUPS?!

The world was a different place then mate, 4th was nowhere then if you were Everton

I realise that we're on two different pages on this one and have gone over this before, but it's all about trophies for me.

6th is nicer than 15th because I get to watch more good football and more wins but in my first two real seasons as a footballl fan we finished 6th in one and 15th in the other and I know which one I enjoyed most. It was the one that ended with rideout scoring past schmeichel.

Wigan have had a better season then we have and while I agree that Martinez's everton will win less games in the league than Moyes' everton, he's proven he knows what it takes to win cup finals and I want a manager at everton who can do that.

Call me single minded if you want, but I was 8 in 95, I want to be there when we do it again.

Vitor Pereira please. Lead his team to a massively victory tonight over Benfica, providing they dont lose in their last gme thats the whole season unbeaten in the league, and if they win they will also win the league. Benfica's only loss? You guessed it, tonight vs Porto. PErhaps the guy to make Goodison a fortress again, Porto havent lost at home in the league for 72 games, stretching back to 28th October, 2008.

To be fair, Goodison is a fortress. We've lost one and won 11 of our 18 league games at home this season.

man utd's next manager was named within a couple of days speculation and dismissal of all the rumours

I feel however, our next appointment could be a long, drawn out saga...

Mark Hughes DID NOT win player of the year for us. At all. He was an unmitigated flop; totally finished when he came to us and another terrible Walter Smith signing, who had a habit of buying 35+ year olds based on 'experience'.

He scored ONE goal for us in just 16 appearance spanning 2 seasons.

He was a terrible, terrible signing.
Did he? I didn't think he scored at all?

To be fair, Goodison is a fortress. We've lost one and won 11 of our 18 league games at home this season.
And that one we lost against Chelsea was one of our better home performances of the season! Certainly played far far worse at home this season and won.

man utd's next manager was named within a couple of days speculation and dismissal of all the rumours

I feel however, our next appointment could be a long, drawn out saga...
I predict we'll do it hours if not a couple of days after the Chelsea game, Bill is probably talking to the candidates now.

It would make sense, cannot disrupt the players going into these final two games.

I don't have any strong feelings about any of the candidates, they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

But today convinced me that Martinez would be a worthy candidate. Unlike Moyes, in a big game environment, his team did not choke. That's the winning mentality we are missing.

People go on about him battling relegation. That's inherently the problem with Wigan - little money to spend (less than us), hard to attract players to them.

People who have a go at him about that - remember Moyes - couldn't get Preston promoted. Choked in the play off final vs Big Sam's Bolton in 2001.Was 7th in the Championship (outside the play off places) when he came to us.

Yeah, expectations are different now. But a managers 'limitations' are all relative to their restrictions.

United aren't arsed that Moyes has only finished higher than 5th once in 12 years are they? Or that he's not won a trophy?

Sometimes you have to look beyond what they've achieved at their current club, look at their character and traits, and examine what they can do for you.

Considering the size of Porto Vitor Periera has had nothing to spend either, he doesn't have half the team AVB or Mourinho had. I remember us being dicked by one of those Portuguese teams.

Seriously can't be doing with meffs who think the Prem in the be all and end all.
WHY HAVEN'T WE WON 50 WORLD CUPS?!

But their league is poor. Every other team apart from 3 are tosh. So the fact he didn't spend anything to me doesn't make him out to be a superstar as his squad is still better than the other teams around them... Minus Benfica.

Where the competition in that league?

The prem may not be the be all and end all... But it's the effing toughest league in European football with some of the best teams and players.

Last edited:

I predict we'll do it hours if not a couple of days after the Chelsea game, Bill is probably talking to the candidates now.

It would make sense, cannot disrupt the players going into these final two games.

Seems like the Cat is out of the bag anyway. Players signing for, or staying for Moyes would be a little pissed wouldn't they?

Know a fair few Porto season ticket holders who also happen to be big blues too (they even set up a efc-porto fan group come over for a few games a year like as well). they all reckon he's deffo off and all of them are glad about it and reckon hes not the right man for us... dunno the reason behind it but considering their not exactly doing bad under him it makes me a bit worried like as hes well hated by their hardcore fans ;/

Totally off-topic like but porto's stadium is absolutely mint having been their

Why are people all of a sudden coming out the cracks saying Martinez can do it in a big game environment and Moyes can't?

Wigan basically relegated themselves at home vs Swansea, a team playing for nothing.

Moyes record vs the top 5 so far this season has been sublime.

United: Win Lose/City: Win Draw/Arsenal: Draw Draw/Spurs: Win Draw/Chelsea: Lose ???

Also the stat about Moyes not winning in 40 odd away games to the supposed big teams should be looked at as a miracle that he has lasted that long, not the other way round, show me all the managers that won at Old Trafford in the last 11 years still in the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back