Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I do believe dear old Gordon went one better and had us in third place.

He may have even done it twice.

And how fondly is he remembered?

Weren't Bingham and Lee notorious spendthrifts? I think that's the immediate distinction right off the bat, I mean we broke transfer record fees for Dobson and Latchford. And we were a team that had ran away with the league only a few years before.

And if you wanted any further indication of how utterly incomparable the two eras are when it comes to success and failures, our league placings went:
1970 1st
1971 14th
1972 15th
1973 17th

Never in a millions years would a title winning team today then fail to finish in the top 10 for the next 3 seasons.

Racist!!! Enlighten us please.

Well a different era of course but his views such as they were (maybe still are) might see him jailed in today's climate and certainly far from managing a premier league team. The kick racism out if football campaign? It's people like him that made it necessary at all. He was allegedly unequivocal about having no black players in the side, indeed may have assured fans that no blacks would get into an Everton side managed by him.

Yes of course there are many reasons why managers are famous - or infamous - Gordon Lees team got far far closer to winning any silverware than Moyes - yet both are far from legends in my eyes - for different reasons.

Used to love Zola as a kid. Seems like a decent manager now too.
I just hope we get someone with a bit of passion.

Does anyone think that Moyes being at Man U could still help us? I know we have a decent record with buying/selling to Man U, but I'm wondering if he'll improve that even more. I can't really see him buying half our squad, at least if he has as much class as it seems. But I reckon in the next few years he'll loan and sell us a few players.

Lads/lasses,

Anyone been contacted by Bill yet? I'm still waiting for my phone call, i'm excited to tell him to fly out to Portugal and bring Pereira back with him...

Nope, no one been contacted yet???

And I do believe dear old Gordon went one better and had us in third place.

He may have even done it twice.

And how fondly is he remembered?
Gordon Lee was a far better manager than what perception dictates. He played possession football as we have today. It is common now to see a team pass up the right wing find too many defenders and pass back to the centre or even the goalkeeper then run up the centre or the left wing keeping possession. I recall from the top balcony seeing Everton do this with Lee and each time Everton fans would groan because they wanted a long ball into the goal area, which 9 times out of ten ended up with the opposition. You do not hear Evertonians do that now. I like Lees style of football. Latchford and co always said they liked working under Lee as he left them alone and never got on their backs. The problem with Lee is that he looked a like vampire and had a awful taste in macks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back