Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloody hell Kendall, is he on the ale again?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22525518

Duncan Ferguson 'perfect' for Everton job, says Howard Kendall

Former Everton boss Howard Kendall believes Goodison Park favourite Duncan Ferguson would be "perfect" to succeed David Moyes as the team's next manager.

He told BBC Sport: "I think he would be the perfect man and I would really like to see him being given the chance.

"He is the type of character who could handle the pressure. He would have a presence and it really could work with someone perhaps a little bit older alongside him.

"Duncan has pledged his loyalty to Everton by coming back. He knows the game and would prove a very good choice."

I wish Howard would remain silent on this. I respect him totally, but DF is a complete non-starter as manager.

I hope there's no other reporter who puts a question to HK on this topic until it's over. It's horrific to read his thoughts.

You wants to hire Martinez because he has relegation dog fight experience an exotic name & manages a side getting relegated in 4 hours time. Have you ever watched Wigan?

Seriously though you're ignorance on the matter is pretty pathetic, guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks though aye, beautiful British xenophobia at the helm again.

Course I've watched Portuguese games they're alot better than Premier League games, watched quite a few of Pacos games this year there an absolutely amazing team to watch, only have a capacity of 5,000.

Hispanophobia

All this "what he did at Wigan" "what he did in Portugal" is doing my head in. On that logic, Utd wouldnt have gone anywhere Moyes. What they did was look at what he did here, how he did it, and saw it being applied to them. Certainly didnt look hat his CL win rate, or his trophy cabinet, or his record away at big clubs etc etc etc.

I look at Martinez, and like what he does, how his teams set up, how he seems to know the transfer market ok, and can see him bringing some of that to a bigger club, with better resources.

THIS! Spot on.

McLeish won a cup and got relegated why is no one calling for him, the only difference in my eyes is the sound of there name.

Yet they were able to keep City at bay without having to resort to parking the bus. So why can't they do it every week? Year after year they've had one of the leakiest defences in the league and regularly get pummelled, especially by United.

Moyes manages to get us 6th in the league, why did we lose 3-0 to Wigan at home ?

Yeah but Wigan have tiny wages compared to us, they've spent -£11m net since Martinez took over, and they're a small club who can't attract good players easily.

Just makes me laugh how people slate Martinez because his team are getting relegated, a team who would not look out of place in the Championship. The more important thing for me is that he took those crappy players and filled them with the belief that they were good enough to go out there and win an FA Cup. Something which Moyes couldn't do even with infinitely better players.

People saying how crappy Wigan's defence has been this season should also look at the ridiculous amount of defensive injuries they've had. They have three of their best defensive players out injured right now, and have had a few more over the course of the season. When that happens to an already low quality squad you're obviously going to struggle.

If Martinez can keep Wigan up with that utter s***e team i have no doubt he'd be just fine with ours.

Of course they won't look out of place in Championship because that was the place they belong.

Having a minus budget (and it was the problem of their chairman they could have keep them) is not an excuse to relegate. How on earth Moyes got us to Euro with the budget he had?

What worried me is his tactics and will have a negative impact to our play. I do not have faith in him at all.

Finally, Martinez won't keep Wigan up. They will relegate in few hours time.

Last edited:
Just makes me laugh how people slate Martinez because his team are getting relegated, a team who would not look out of place in the Championship. The more important thing for me is that he took those crappy players and filled them with the belief that they were good enough to go out there and win an FA Cup. Something which Moyes couldn't do even with infinitely better players.

People saying how crappy Wigan's defence has been this season should also look at the ridiculous amount of defensive injuries they've had. They have three of their best defensive players out injured right now, and have had a few more over the course of the season. When that happens to an already low quality squad you're obviously going to struggle.

If Martinez can keep Wigan up with that utter s***e team i have no doubt he'd be just fine with ours.

In his last season at Wigan, Steve Bruce's side finished 11th & conceded 45 league goals, the following year they finished 16th & were incredibly fortunate to stay up with 36 points - but the salient point is, they conceded 79 - yes SEVENTY NINE goals that season, compared to 45 the year prior. With the same defence.....................

All this "what he did at Wigan" "what he did in Portugal" is doing my head in. On that logic, Utd wouldnt have gone anywhere Moyes. What they did was look at what he did here, how he did it, and saw it being applied to them. Certainly didnt look hat his CL win rate, or his trophy cabinet, or his record away at big clubs etc etc etc.

I look at Martinez, and like what he does, how his teams set up, how he seems to know the transfer market ok, and can see him bringing some of that to a bigger club, with better resources.

Spot on, and it's why Martinez is a logical and okay appointment.

Marcelo Bielsa.

Super, super coach.

Players improve for him automatically.

Players who have played for him always say he ws best coach they ever played for.

agressively attacking football.

Consistently promotes from youth team.

Consistently done it with very little funds.

This is the guy who should get it. Way better than Martínez.

His nickname is "El Loco". I'm in.

By the way, the Kendall stuff is all from his Echo column last Friday when he suggested Dunc.

I have no idea why it's suddenly news again, other than the BBC website running his words verbatim this afternoon, and Moyes speaking last night about how Dunc was a good coach.

They're all just guessing again, writing on the subject just for the sake of it.

In his last season at Wigan, Steve Bruce's side finished 11th & conceded 45 league goals, the following year they finished 16th & were incredibly fortunate to stay up with 36 points - but the they conceded 79 - yes SEVENTY NINE goals that season, compared to 45 the year prior. With the same defence.....................

They also sold three of their best players and didn't have the loan striker who scored 11 goals for them in 2008/09. Logic suggests that when a team weakens it's attack and midfield it will experience more pressure and as a result concede more goals.

Joe Royle Premier League record managing Oldham, back when there were 22 teams in the top flight.

1991/92 - finished 17th.
1992/93 - finished 19th.
1993/94 - finished 21st (RELEGATED).

Six months later he got the Everton job. Kept us up when we were dead & buried, and won us the FA Cup.

First & only full season as Everton manager, 1995/96 - finished 6th.

*This is in support of Martinez, not suggesting Royle come back.

Royle was punching above his weight with Oldham. He had a pretty decent side that got picked apart for the likes of Irwin, Barratt, Warhurst and Milligan. Wigan are probably about where they should rightfully be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back