Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at the players Wigan have sold in the last few years, without using the money to replace them I don't think they would be in the relegation trouble they are in now.
Valencia
Palacios
Rodellega
N'Zogbia
Moses.
There are probably more,I just can't think of them.
Any manager who has players of that quality sold from his squad without getting funds to replace them is always going to be fighting relegation. That is not say he should get the Everton job, but it is just wrong to say that he shouldn't get it because his team is fighting relegation.
If you appointed SAF as manager they would still struggle.Their players are not good enough.Martinez is good enough to get enough performances out of them to keep them competitive and they have a couple of really good players, but over a season I am not sure any manager could do any better han him.

One thing I'd say for him is that virtually all of those looked much better at Wigan than they did at their subsequent clubs. You could possibly add Cattermole, Bramble and Diame to that list too.

According to transfermarkt Martinez made £8m profit in his first season, selling Valencia (£16m) and Cattermole (£6m) and replacing them with Moses (£2.6m). He made a loss of £10.5m in 2010/11 though buying Boselli for £6.5m and Stam for £3.5m. The site says that he sold Boselli the same season to Genoa for £880k*! In 2011/12 he made a loss of £1.1m. His major purchases were Beausejour (£4.1m), Crusat (£1.9m) and Al Habsi (£3.8m). Out went N'Zogbia for £9.5m. And last year he made a profit of £2.4m. His biggest outlays were Kone (£3.3m) and Ramis (£5.2m), which was offset by the departure of Moses (£10.1m).

09/10 £8m profit
10/11 £10.5m loss
11/12 £1.1m loss
12/13 £2.4m profit

Total £1.2m loss.

They've sold their most bankable players each year, which were bought by other managers. Presumably the club have a good network of scouts in South America and Africa to highlight the players mentioned. The two major assets that Martinez has signed in 4 years are arguably Moses and Kone.

*Apparently Boselli was voted Wigan's worst foreign player ever by the fans. He made 15 appearances for them in a 3 year spell without scoring a single league goal and was loaned out to Genoa, Estudiantes and Palermo where he's still on loan now. It would seem like he's sitting out his contract and taking Wigan for everything he can.

Who was the manager in charge when they lost all those players? Bruce? ...... Nope Martinez. If he can't hold onto players and then can't replace them. I don't want him. Regardless of the fact he can't win home games.

We need a manager who will push our board hard for support and funds. Lets not forget Martinez didn't need to leave Swansea. he went because he thought he could do better at Wigan. He's not this poor victim that's had everything go against him. he's the manager of a football club that's about to get relegated. The relegation will be down to him as the manager. You can't claim the credit for the highs. and then abdicate responsibility for the lows.

You can't be serious.

Wigan don't have any money, they have to sell players to stay afloat. Martinez can't start choosing who stays. And as for replacing them ? -£11m net spend since Martinez has been there.

Moyes operated under financial restrictions, but it was nothing compared to Martinez.

If you can't pay good wages, and you're a struggling side with no history, you'll struggle to get good replacements. That's if you can afford to buy them in the first place. Martinez couldn't.

You just know Martinez will bring players with him.

Kone will be our new striker.

McCarthy will come in for Fellaini

Figueroa will come in for Baines.

We'll probs go for McCarthur, Maloney + McManaman aswell

Hahahahahahahahaha I don't think I've ever seen Titus described as a key player, unless you meant for the opposition.

hahaha ok maybe the term key player for him needed to be used more loosely, but bruce actually had him playing alright if memories serves me correct

Boselli was the one disaster I was aware of, painfully expensive give he's their most expensive ever purchase. Then again every manager has their Kroldrup.

Whelan on SSN when asked about Martinez linked with us said Kenwrights a decent guy and wouldn't approach wigan out of fairness until the end of the season and if we approached it would be Martinez's choice

You can't be serious.

Wigan don't have any money, they have to sell players to stay afloat. Martinez can't start choosing who stays. And as for replacing them ? -£11m net spend since Martinez has been there.

Moyes operated under financial restrictions, but it was nothing compared to Martinez.

If you can't pay good wages, and you're a struggling side with no history, you'll struggle to get good replacements. That's if you can afford to buy them in the first place. Martinez couldn't.

I don't think having a minus budget means a huge achievement because Wigan is not getting top 6 with that sum. Newcastle must have a better "minus" net spend than Wigan but yet they stay up.

It is just like when one say what would Moyes got us if he had given a fair budget. Is that mean we will automatically get top 4? The "if" situation is nonsense argument because it does not mean a manager would definiately pick up gems even he has money to spend. £11m can get you two Boselli.

Boselli was the one disaster I was aware of, painfully expensive give he's their most expensive ever purchase. Then again every manager has their Kroldrup.

We have not lost a great deal on the Kroldrup deal. We lost £1.5m whereas Wigan lose £6m on Boselli surely (by the time he has gone).

Hope its not Martinez. If he becomes our next manager I will feel cheated just like when Mike Walker got the job.

We need to take into context how poor City were in that Cup Final, Wigan were helped tremendously by Roberto "whats a winger" Mancini and his pathetic 2007 tactics manual

Mancini had won the Premiership Title and an F.A cup before, What about us? they knocked us out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back