Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You said earlier that pereira was your preferred choice, so I assume you're including yourself in that narrow minded, generalist ****e?

It's not narrow minded, it's spot on, as evidenced by the fact that nobody has actually used the proper name of the Portugese league in this thread. La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, Portugese League. Spot the difference.

Nope, not ignoring his flaws. Simply saying his flaws aren't that big of a deal.

As opposed to wanting a manager in from a league most of you have probably never watched.

I bet most of the people in this thread couldn't even give the proper name of the Portugese league without googling it, or name more than four of the teams.

Erm.... Liga Del Portugoloiolia

FC Portsmouth
Benfico
Athletic Lisbon
Bra-size
Rio Avenue
Academic school for young boys

What? *fronts chest abrasively*

PAYING COMPENSATION FOR MARTINEZ WOULD BE ****ING STUPID!!!

About as stupid as appointing him.

He is a flavor of the month who has proved he is unable to deliver in the PL.

Yes he is a nice guy, but I don't want him.

Not good enough for Everton.

When a team gets relegated you don't appoint their manager.

That's another sickening thought I had forgot about. We would have to PAY millions to have Martinez as our manager. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Categories as far as I can see it:

1. Untried in the Prem, but with European experience: Pereira/Lennon
2. Experienced in the Prem/won something: Martinez/Benitez
3. Untried in the Prem/managerial experience with potential: Mackay/Poyet
4. Rookie manager/Evertonian: Ferguson/Stubbs/Round

What do we need:

Personally I think Prem experience is very important. Not a deal breaker that would rule out category 1 names, but this is one of 2 or 3 best, toughest leagues in the world, with the most money in it. Is the Scottish league a good enough league where domestic success is of value? Ditto, the Portugese league?

A track record of winning something is what we need, if we're to 'kick on', or at the very least, maintain current standards.

A manager with potential is what we appointed when we got Moyes, but the club is in a different place now than it was then. Which I feel rules out category 3 names, and definitely category 4 names. Was Moyes 'an Evertonian' when he came? No, it should not be a factor at all in the appointment process.

For me, I keep coming back to Martinez (even with his relegation, which I can understand people's concerns but would once again cite Joe Royle as a glowing example of someone who worked wonders at a small club, still finished low down in his three years in the top flight before relegation, but showed he had an aptitude to work at a higher level), and Pereira, who I think has a good rep, good piece on him in the Echo today, and the hope that what he doesn't have in Prem experience, he makes up for in new ideas that could take us forward.

Pereira would be more of a gamble than Martinez, but potentially offers more upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back