Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Moyes to Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was here 11 seasons: won sweet f.a. and never got us higher than 65 points in a season (whilst recording, btw, the WORST points total in a single season for the past 45 YEARS)....then he tells everyone two days ago he was within touching distance of the league title at Everton!!!!....even 3 years after leaving Everton he embarrasses the club.

A complete joke of a manager. Mark my words, he's heading for Preston North End again soon...in reality he should never have left there - he's their level. he should have been to PNE what Dario Gradi was to Crewe: a long serving, solid lower league manager.

No he shouldn't Mr K, because then we'd have ended up with Gary Megson and gone down.

Hahaha mate, you can't have only just clicked on to this surely? That is the whole reason, it always has been and always will be too. Any manager that came in straight after Moyes would have had exactly the same blind loyalty from Dave. At that point it really was an "anyone but Moyes" policy from him. His hatred of him is bizarre, Moyes is just an irrelevance to most of us now. As dour as he was, he wasn't dragging us down towards oblivion slowly but surely like the other utter no-mark, while refusing to change his horribly pretentious "philosophy". He deserves more bile and venom than Moyes for sure.

Why do either of them deserve any scorn?

It's not like Martinez was intentionally doing a rubbish job was it?

And yeah, the way Moyes left the club certainly left a sour taste in the mouth, but we beat his United team twice and he got axed right after losing at Goodison. That boil is very much lanced for me

I don't know why we can't appreciate the positives of both managers and leave it at that. There's no point constantly having a pop at either of them depending on which one you dislike

Time to move on and either wish both Moyes and Martinez well in their new jobs, or just leave them to it

And yeah, the way Moyes left the club certainly left a sour taste in the mouth, but we beat his United team twice and he got axed right after losing at Goodison. That boil is very much lanced for me

I don't know why we can't appreciate the positives of both managers and leave it at that. There's no point constantly having a pop at either of them depending on which one you dislike

Time to move on and either wish both Moyes and Martinez well in their current jobs, or just leave them to it

It got to the point where I actually had to ask myself this in the end. He didn't care about losing, refused to take Howard out the team when it was blatant he was abysmal, continued to play with Cleverley on the left wing when he was crap, never made a sub until 65 minutes no matter how badly we were playing and how much it was crying out for a change. When you look at it, he did make all his own problems.

It got to the point where I actually had to ask myself this in the end. He didn't care about losing, refused to take Howard out the team when it was blatant he was abysmal, continued to play with Cleverley on the left wing when he was crap, never made a sub until 65 minutes no matter how badly we were playing and how much it was crying out for a change. When you look at it, he did make all his own problems.

Yes, but that was because he was desperately out of his league, not because he was intentionally trying to lose games and put on poor performances

For better or worse, he thought his philosophy would work and bring us success

As I've said before on here, I don't hate Roberto Martinez for failing, I thank him for trying

It didn't work out, but I am convinced he was trying his absolute best to succeed at all times

He had to go, there's no doubting that, but I bare him no personal ill will. Good luck to him and to Moyes also

Yes, but that was because he was desperately out of his league, not because he was intentionally trying to lose games and put on poor performances

For better or worse, he thought his philosophy would work and bring us success

As I've said before on here, I don't hate Roberto Martinez for failing, I thank him for trying

It didn't work out, but I am convinced he was trying his absolute best to succeed at all times

He had to go, there's no doubting that, but I bare him no personal ill will. Good luck to him and to Moyes also

Fair enough. I personally thought he cared more about his crap philosophy and maintaining his own reputation for "possession football" than the results and league placing of Everton. For that I just cannot like him.

He was here 11 seasons: won sweet f.a. and never got us higher than 65 points in a season (whilst recording, btw, the WORST points total in a single season for the past 45 YEARS)....then he tells everyone two days ago he was within touching distance of the league title at Everton!!!!....even 3 years after leaving Everton he embarrasses the club.

A complete joke of a manager. Mark my words, he's heading for Preston North End again soon...in reality he should never have left there - he's their level. he should have been to PNE what Dario Gradi was to Crewe: a long serving, solid lower league manager.
It's irrelevant how many points he got per season, we finished fifth three times while he was manager (along with six twice more and fourth), which is all Martinez managed in his one fluked season. Nobody would choose points over league placing, hence 04-05 season trumps 13-14. Moyes was and never a winner and he never will be. His negativity and refusal to take chances will always put pay to that. He's still however head and shoulders above Martinez, who when all is said and done didn't even equal Moyes best season despite having far more money. The ridiculous nonsense Moyes has come out with about us winning the league if he'd of stayed is laughable but It doesn't reflect badly on us at all. It just makes him look very foolish and in any event it's no worse then the weekly cringe fest of a typical Martinez interview. The bottom line is this, despite all your blind refusal to look facts in the face anyone with a scrap of common sense would always pick Moyes over Martinez.

Time to move on and either wish both Moyes and Martinez well in their new jobs, or just leave them to it
Martinez desrerves every bit of scorn he gets. He's an idiot who took an excellent side and decimated their confidence. He was well on his way to destroying this club in an way we haven't seen since Walker. If it wasn't for Mike Walker he would the worst manger in this clubs history. He might not of intentionally made us awful but he repeatedly sacrificed results in the name of his precious philosophy. Now even with that being said, I'd never wish ill will on him like some seem to for Moyes.

Moyes is right that a top class centre forward would have had us challenging for the league - we never had serious quality there under him and it would have been a major difference maker. He's wrong to say it because, first, he's got enough on his plate at SFC to be rolling out useless hypotheticals to the media, and second, it's down to him that we never had that player. Rolling the dice on a potentially international classs striker was too much money for him to risk. That conservative approach gets you 4/5/6, but you need to be prepared to show your aris if you want more than that.

What was our best team under Moyes? Have it in my head it was when Arteta was in his prime just before he got that bad knee injury, 07? Slotting big Rom in there is a nice thought.

10m guaranteed payoff means maybe he wanted the sack

There was a bloke on talkSPORT yesterday....an Evertonian calling into Adrian Durham.

He was fretting about the same thing.

Only he was worried about Arsenal ditching Arsene and coming in for Ronald :blush:

This is exactly what we were having to deal with in the spring of '14 when people started worrying about first Arsenal and then Barcelona coming in for Bobby.

No doubt a successful Ronald will be in demand.....but first let him achieve success here before getting nervou s about where he will be next year.

At no point have I said I wanted him to move on, get a new contract or else. What I did suggest that will be the next big question regarding would be some one will calling for him so why you continue to labour that point is a mystery to me..

What I did ask was why you continue to want Moyes, the manager of three clubs since leaving us, to squirm. The guy left us, so what, he's gone but you maintain a malice, no wonder the other lot call us bitter

At no point have I said I wanted him to move on, get a new contract or else. What I did suggest that will be the next big question regarding would be some one will calling for him so why you continue to labour that point is a mystery to me..

What I did ask was why you continue to want Moyes, the manager of three clubs since leaving us, to squirm. The guy left us, so what, he's gone but you maintain a malice, no wonder the other lot call us bitter

You should stop getting yourself so worked up about this :blush:

How soon before the Sunderland board panic, and sack him?

He will eventually end up back at Preston NE.

In his first press conference, he will tell the club-fans to 'be realistic' and expect a relegation battle, and then bring in Victor Anichebe on loan.

IF Moyes can stop believing his own publicity and go back to what he did well in the early years he should keep them up...but I doubt he can.
Agreed. For all his deficiencies when it came to really challenging for success, he was astute enough to be able to field a robust team for survival.

Yet for whatever reason all the hype has gone to his brain and he seems to have lost or abandoned the basics that made him so successful.

While people will question the calibre of the squad he's inherited, I'm confident Moyes of old would have been able to grind out survival.

Now I'm not so sure and relegation would be the death nail in his managerial coffin at anything near Premier League level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back