Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Moyes to Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's started the blame game there already. Not just with the chairman, but he's going public very early on with criticism of the players.

Trouble for him is that these are not the hand picked passive players he took his time scouting and signing for Everton. These players have zero allegiance to him and wont roll their sleeves up in a pinch to pull themselves (and him) out of a nosedive.

When a manager has the skids under him it's hard to stop the momentum and fall. And Moyes is looking like one now with a growing reputation for going to clubs and failing. Any allure he once had for stickability and grinding out hard working moderately successful teams is fast disappearing. If he gets the push from Sunderland he's finished in the top flight, imo.

He'll be plying his trade in the Championship with Preston or Bolton or some other North West club close to home shortly.

I think he knows that his reputation is on its last legs, and if he took Sunderland down he has absolutely no chance of a top job again, not in England anyway. He'd then be looking at the Championship, as you say, Dave. Perhaps Celtic as an escape route. Although BRodgers is probably going to win everything in Scotland for a couple of years.

On the 5live phone-in last night there were a few Sunderland fans questioning his decisions - mainly in taking off Cattermole and Januzaj with 8 or so minutes left. Then lo and behold the team can't hold on and Palace nab a winner. They couldn't understand the thinking behind the subs, and it sounded all too familiar to me as an Evertonian. He does that a lot, getting it wrong with his subs, or making his subs too late.
I remember whenever I was watching Everton and people would be screaming for a sub to be made, and I'd always say, "No, not yet, we haven't got to 70 minutes yet so save your breath, not gonna happen". It was one of his failings for sure.

Crowd was down to 38,000 yesterday at the SOL, we'll see how many come for the mouth-watering SAFC vs WBA fixture up next! He's getting his excuses ready because if he's sacked he'll have to go a long time waiting for work in the PL. Likewise he is encouraging a sacking because at least he gets a big payout that way. Also, best for him to be sacked before January than in April when it's too late. Then he has the "I could have turned it around if they'd given me more time" angle to play. If he was sacked in April with the situation hopeless then his reputation would be destroyed once and for all.
I think being United manager utterly shattered his self-belief after 11 years in a "safe-space" at Everton.

Last edited:
I think he knows that his reputation is on its last legs, and if he took Sunderland down he has absolutely no chance of a top job again, not in England anyway. He'd then be looking at the Championship, as you say, Dave. Perhaps Celtic as an escape route. Although BRodgers is probably going to win everything in Scotland for a couple of years.

On the 5live phone-in last night there were a few Sunderland fans questioning his decisions - mainly in taking off Cattermole and Januzaj with 8 or so minutes left. Then lo and behold the team can't hold on and Palace nab a winner. They couldn't understand the thinking behind the subs, and it sounded all too familiar to me as an Evertonian. He does that a lot, getting it wrong with his subs, or making his subs too late.
I remember whenever I was watching Everton and people would be screaming for a sub to be made, and I'd always say, "No, not yet, we haven't got to 70 minutes yet so save your breath, not gonna happen". It was one of his failings for sure.

Crowd was down to 38,000 yesterday at the SOL, we'll see how many come for the mouth-watering SAFC vs WBA fixture up next! He's getting his excuses ready because if he's sacked he'll have to go a long time waiting for work in the PL. Likewise he is encouraging a sacking because at least he gets a big payout that way. Also, best for him to be sacked before January than in April when it's too late. Then he has the "I could have turned it around if they'd given me more time" angle to play. If he was sacked in April with the situation hopeless then his reputation would be destroyed once and for all.
I think being United manager utterly shattered his self-belief after 11 years in a "safe-space" at Everton.
Spot on Jim. He does come across as a manager who's running on fumes.

He might have thought he could do another Everton rescue act but those players he has have been through a number of managers and haven't really shifted themselves unless relegation was staring them in the face. They'd be disoriented to play any other way. Moyes has let his ego blind him to that. Now he looks like he realises the truth of the matter and knows he can't change it. Players like that might respond to a coach who makes them feel tall and gives them belief and a new plan. Moyes just has discipline and a very predictable game plan though.

It looks ominous for Moyes. I think he'll be this season's Steve McClaren - brought in with a lot of positivity from media and fans alike but just hopelessly out of his depth...and out of his era.

I have to laugh at Moyes. He's been at the helm of one of the biggest sports organisations on the planet (until they realised the nightmare error they made) playing football in the Champions League, and he's coached at a club in one if the most technical leagues in the world. But through it all he retains 100% of his dour determination to play football in the ugliest of manner.

He's like those early British tourists in the 1970s who made a point of sitting on continental beaches with a knotted hanky on their head and drinking Tetley Bitter.

He's like one of those managers that does the same thing over and over again expecting things to change.

He appears to be coming under severe pressure very early. Blaming the players in the press sounds like he is struggling. If he loses the dressing room he is going to struggle all the more.
Could see a parting of the ways here unless he can get a couple of wins quickly. Next week could be a big one for him.

That big smile on his stupid grid when he announced he'd got the UTD job seems a million miles away now doesn't it, haha.
The biggest travesty of that event was that the club allowed him to stay on until the end of the season...and even worse that fans didn't see the humiliation in that situation.

Imagine letting that feller to stay on and continue to manage us when he'd washed his hands of us. I'll never get over that.

It was the biggest disgrace of the Kenwright era...and there's some stiff competition for that title. It underlined how much we'd slipped as a club in the pecking order. It was like something Charlton Athletic would have put up with.

The biggest travesty of that event was that the club allowed him to stay on until the end of the season...and even worse that fans didn't see the humiliation in that situation.

Imagine letting that feller to stay on and continue to manage us when he'd washed his hands of us. I'll never get over that.

It was the biggest disgrace of the Kenwright era...and there's some stiff competition for that title. It underlined how much we'd slipped as a club in the pecking order. It was like something Charlton Athletic would have put up with.

Could be - although I think hiring Martinez on the back of a 0-3 cup result has to be up there for sure.

Not this fan, Dave.

I raged on here about him being allowed to stay here and effectively manage two clubs for a month or two......time spent working out his he could entice our two star men to follow him.

Shameful.

Even after how small time he made us look after getting the Utd job 3 weeks before the season's end, Davey boy would have been a candidate after el fraudo this summer if Kenwright had complete control.

Come to think of it, fraudo would still be in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back