Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Moyes to Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love Big Vic to fire them to safety
Although he didn't score, he was named MotM by the BBC...maybe he's realised, finally, that you have to do more than stand there being big and wait for the ball to be put on your foot.
Having said that I've seen him score many different types of strikers goals...just not enough of them.
If he keeps putting in MotM performances and chipping in with 10 or so goals, he might make room for Defoe to get the rest.
IF.

disclaimer; I don't mind Vic, there was always a player in there somewhere, that Nolan tackle did him no favours.

Delighted to see Victor playing well for Sunderland.

I don't know what Vic thought about staying here as back up striker but I always thought it a bad decision that he was more or less let go on account of us signing Kone :mad:

I think it would be harsh to call either of the failures. Moyes was a great manager for us who slightly overstayed his welcome.

Well no, I consider them failures due to the lack of silverware, it should be the benchmark.

But.

Moyes took a struggling team at the bottom of the league and made them best of the rest, every season the teams above us spent vast fortunes and even some teams below us, but Moyes kept us up there on utter buttons every year while having to sell our best players, 13m net spent on players over 11 years to take us from 17th to 4th.

Martinez took a team considered the best of the rest and turned them into a bottom half outfit, while spending 50m net over 3 years, he not only managed to take us from 5th to 13th, but he also left the next manager quite possibly 1 of the worst squads in modern football.

:coffee::coffee::coffee:

Well no, I consider them failures due to the lack of silverware, it should be the benchmark.

But.

Moyes took a struggling team at the bottom of the league and made them best of the rest, every season the teams above us spent vast fortunes and even some teams below us, but Moyes kept us up there on utter buttons every year while having to sell our best players, 13m net spent on players over 11 years to take us from 17th to 4th.

Martinez took a team considered the best of the rest and turned them into a bottom half outfit, while spending 50m net over 3 years, he not only managed to take us from 5th to 13th, but he also left the next manager quite possibly 1 of the worst squads in modern football.

:coffee::coffee::coffee:

Hard to argue with that assessment. I think you'd have to frame Moyes' tenure here slightly differently though. I think we as fans, and it's only become apparent now with consecutive bottom half finishes, took our 5th and 6th placing for granted when a lot of other teams would have been relegated with such a financial disparity compared to the teams around us. Moyes was a success in my eyes, if only in the way he made our expectations so high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back