Mr bates v the Post Office

I've watched days of the inquiry over the last few months and how so many senior people fail to remember reading documents / having conversations / weren't in the room / showed a remarkable lack of curiosity etc. is remarkable. It could be just a series of unfortunate events and coincidences or it could be the biggest example of corporate corruption in the UK - I'm clearly siding on the latter.

I want to see many of those former PO staff who have given evidence (there was a notable exception this week where a former legal guy had a clear memory of events and was able to share what had happened) be put before the courts and presumably found guilty (and go to prison). For others, then disqualification from directorships for their staggering lack of control (even if it was done without their direct knowledge, i.e. Crozier).

What's more it's still going on with some of the same PO staff implicated currently working within the mediation / resolution areas - it's beyond belief.

I've watched days of the inquiry over the last few months and how so many senior people fail to remember reading documents / having conversations / weren't in the room / showed a remarkable lack of curiosity etc. is remarkable. It could be just a series of unfortunate events and coincidences or it could be the biggest example of corporate corruption in the UK - I'm clearly siding on the latter.

I want to see many of those former PO staff who have given evidence (there was a notable exception this week where a former legal guy had a clear memory of events and was able to share what had happened) be put before the courts and presumably found guilty (and go to prison). For others, then disqualification from directorships for their staggering lack of control (even if it was done without their direct knowledge, i.e. Crozier).

What's more it's still going on with some of the same PO staff implicated currently working within the mediation / resolution areas - it's beyond belief.
There is a parallel aspect for me. The cps (crown prosecution service). 1 wrongful convictions is to many. I want to see the stats on the success rate of guilty verdicts. I want to know how the PO prosecutors were selecting who to investigate. I want to know who dreamed up bonuses based on guilty parties found.

At the minute it appears everyone they investigated was thus found guilty. There is no 100% hit rate in anything. Not medicine, not science, and certainly not a bureaucratic process with still hidden vested interests. There had to be oversight somewhere that flagged up the anomaly, this is unless the cps uses a computer system named horizon that is.

I wonder who has been able to get paid off a big chunk of change and retire just before this blew up proper. Who's sat in the sun with dirt on their hands but has got out scot-free.

'word soup', 'a liar', and the immediate reaction was for a 'media lawyer'.

If the state can sink it's hooks into the curtis warren types of this world and recover 'proceeds of crime' monies and properties and others, then the entirety of the PO and its cronies along for the ride can be destroyed as well.

Mrs Bogerd is no doubt breathing a huge sigh of relief after her ordeal today.

She'd better get ready for more questions at some point down the road in a criminal court from lawyers who won't be as gentlemanly as the ones she faced today.

I don't know how she can sleep at night.

Mrs Bogerd is no doubt breathing a huge sigh of relief after her ordeal today.

She'd better get ready for more questions at some point down the road in a criminal court from lawyers who won't be as gentlemanly as the ones she faced today.

I don't know how she can sleep at night.

She’s a sociopath, as she certainly comes across as one ?

I'm watching her testimony now. Asking her subordinates to go back to all documents and mark as Legal Privilege. Wow, that can't be anything other than a blatant attempt to avoid her teams obligations to disclose.

Interesting that in the context of this hearing the KC cant go too hard on her. A criminal barrister would rip her a new one in cross examination.

What an awful woman.
and legal privilege doesnt work that way. you have to declare it first, you cant declare it retrospectively to hide stuff. I didnt watch any today, heard a few bits on the radio reports on the news and it sounded like she was getting a mauling. As you say Blue, if she is getting that kind of roughing up in a relatively benign hearing she will get beasted if she ever goes in front of a criminal court. I rather look forward to that, I may take time off to go watch

Last edited:
There is a parallel aspect for me. The cps (crown prosecution service). 1 wrongful convictions is to many. I want to see the stats on the success rate of guilty verdicts. I want to know how the PO prosecutors were selecting who to investigate. I want to know who dreamed up bonuses based on guilty parties found.

At the minute it appears everyone they investigated was thus found guilty. There is no 100% hit rate in anything. Not medicine, not science, and certainly not a bureaucratic process with still hidden vested interests. There had to be oversight somewhere that flagged up the anomaly, this is unless the cps uses a computer system named horizon that is.

I wonder who has been able to get paid off a big chunk of change and retire just before this blew up proper. Who's sat in the sun with dirt on their hands but has got out scot-free.
I think for many, if not the huge majority, the CPS weren't a party to this, the CPS prosecuted most if not all of their own cases. It was also mentioned earlier in the hearing that CPS did ask about the safety of the Horizon evidence and they were assured it was fine. Despite their many faults, I'm not sure much can be laid at the door of the CPS on this.

'word soup', 'a liar', and the immediate reaction was for a 'media lawyer'.

If the state can sink it's hooks into the curtis warren types of this world and recover 'proceeds of crime' monies and properties and others, then the entirety of the PO and its cronies along for the ride can be destroyed as well.
I hope the net is cast far and wide within the post office to catch all these fookers and to make sure nothing like this ever happens again

I hope the net is cast far and wide within the post office to catch all these fookers and to make sure nothing like this ever happens again
I want to know who dreamed it up. Who gave the contract to Fujitsu and then signed it off when it was clearly faulty. It goes well beyond the PO and the wonkers* taking the pish there.
As for the cps, aren't they still required to check the veracity of each guilty verdict? all 100% of them.

The alarm bells were there, clear as day, either everyone is stealing, or there's a problem with how evidence is being collected.

100%.

I think for many, if not the huge majority, the CPS weren't a party to this, the CPS prosecuted most if not all of their own cases. It was also mentioned earlier in the hearing that CPS did ask about the safety of the Horizon evidence and they were assured it was fine. Despite their many faults, I'm not sure much can be laid at the door of the CPS on this.
I meant the PO prosecuted most of their own cases , not the CPS FFS

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back