Mr bates v the Post Office

Old Wyn Willams has just adjourned for the day refusing questions from the floor. He must have to run to the loo or something.

That's disappointing since those barristers tend to ask the most awkward questions. They are usually hired by the postmasters themselves and show a bit of righteous anger and frustration with the smoke and mirrors waffle of many witnesses.

Well, they'll get what's coming to them in a court some day in the future.

Amusingly, the old boy took time before today's proceedings to apologise to the floor barristers for shutting them out yesterday!

Whether this was the result of complaints overnight we don't know. No matter. He's a decent old stick and surprisingly sharp so not much goes by him. Hopefully, he'll have taken all his meds, put personal pads and seating aids in place and is ready for the fray.

Today's subject is on a remote link which is not ideal but he's articulate and looks nervous. He's not a bruiser like most of the previous participants. He has just used the word "imbued" which you don't hear much these days. Respect.

Last edited:
Mr Bourke starts off a lot of his answers with the word "so".

I find this a growing habit with people in the media, in government and, indeed, at the bus stop. It suggests that the speaker has prepared some studied response to a question - when in fact none may exist.

This man Bourke is highly articulate and doesn't need such verbal ticks.

Last edited:
Mr Bourke starts off a lot of his answers with the word "so".

I find this a growing habit with people in the media, in government and, indeed, at the bus stop. It suggests that the speaker has prepared some studied response to a question - when in fact none may exist.

This man Bourke is highly articulate and doesn't need such verbal ticks.
Time buying, to properly understand what's been asked and/or plot the evasive next answer.

Subject is getting tired now and is reverting to the I can't remember line of response. He definitely knows more than he's letting on.

I believe he is a decent enough sort who has been handed a crock.

Only one week to go before Ms Vennells takes the stand. It's going to be a huge event.

What I am personally interested in is the dichotomy between her Christian beliefs and her behaviour in her job.

I am consumed by what drives people in their lives and how they square things up internally. How they sleep at night, as it were.

I should write a novel.

Last edited:
Only one week to go before Ms Vennells takes the stand. It's going to be a huge event.

What I am personally interested in is the dichotomy between her Christian beliefs and her behaviour in her job.

I am consumed by what drives people in their lives and how they square things up internally. How they sleep at night, as it were.

I should write a novel.
Champagne supper and silk sheets eases a lot of conscience.

I cannot think that these people are so dishonest that they would consign ordinary postmasters, unjustly, to the grave.

And yet, that would appear to be the case.
I'm not sure you can label all of these witnesses the same, there are a few standouts who knew there were faults and were saying in evidence, that there wasn't any. The lady up a couple of days ago seemed to have been caught up in group mind think and I got the impression that looking back on her actions, she was horrified. I've not made my mind up on today's guy yet. There are plenty of these people who have acted so egregious that hopefully they will find their own justice. There are plenty of others who could have behaved better but didnt, but they perhaps beghaved like many many other people would have done if they were put in that position.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back