Mr bates v the Post Office

I'm not sure you can label all of these witnesses the same, there are a few standouts who knew there were faults and were saying in evidence, that there wasn't any. The lady up a couple of days ago seemed to have been caught up in group mind think and I got the impression that looking back on her actions, she was horrified. I've not made my mind up on today's guy yet. There are plenty of these people who have acted so egregious that hopefully they will find their own justice. There are plenty of others who could have behaved better but didnt, but they perhaps beghaved like many many other people would have done if they were put in that position.

My take on it, is that some of them got caught up in the horrendous culture at the time and due to the perception of peer pressure, either went along with what was going or turned a blind eye.

There wouldn`t appear to have been any option of whistle blowing either and even if there was, the main body of the wrong doers, was that powerful, I`m pretty sure they`d have buried anyone who attempted to whistle blow.

When Vennells gets on then stand, if I was the prosecution, I`d be really driving home the incredible contradictions between Vennells alleged Christianity and the criminal conspiracy between her and the higher ups in the Post Office.

I'm not sure you can label all of these witnesses the same, there are a few standouts who knew there were faults and were saying in evidence, that there wasn't any. The lady up a couple of days ago seemed to have been caught up in group mind think and I got the impression that looking back on her actions, she was horrified. I've not made my mind up on today's guy yet. There are plenty of these people who have acted so egregious that hopefully they will find their own justice. There are plenty of others who could have behaved better but didnt, but they perhaps beghaved like many many other people would have done if they were put in that position.
The guy today has such an annoying voice that I can't watch. I'm due a break anyway.

Big things coming up next week.

My take on it, is that some of them got caught up in the horrendous culture at the time and due to the perception of peer pressure, either went along with what was going or turned a blind eye.

There wouldn`t appear to have been any option of whistle blowing either and even if there was, the main body of the wrong doers, was that powerful, I`m pretty sure they`d have buried anyone who attempted to whistle blow.

When Vennells gets on then stand, if I was the prosecution, I`d be really driving home the incredible contradictions between Vennells alleged Christianity and the criminal conspiracy between her and the higher ups in the Post Office.
That would be too personal though. I don't think counsel will pursue that line. Same with her handing back her honour. Big deal.

Better for Mr Beer or whoever to stick to times and dates. These people don't like being pinned down by specifics. They prefer to hover around the issue, talking in general terms rather than being called to account.

you're right and before we all get on our high horse, we need regard for how humans can behave, I'm thinking of the stamford prison experiment. That notwithstanding, there are plenty of people who should and will be in the crosshairs of justice. I'm rather looming forward to that.

you're right and before we all get on our high horse, we need regard for how humans can behave, I'm thinking of the stamford prison experiment. That notwithstanding, there are plenty of people who should and will be in the crosshairs of justice. I'm rather looming forward to that.
Freudian?
I'm happy on my high horse, so long as I can back it up to kick and the crap on those that sorely need it.

Paula Vennnells has provided 50 new documents to the enquiry, which will have to be scrutinised before her appearance on Wednesday.
Jason Beer has already urged participants to get their material in quickly.
He has warned witnesses they will be called back if it's thought necessary.

Rees-Mogg is really religious too when it suits

Still in favour of laws and policies that cause all kind of misery though

I guess he’s not quite as Christian on those days…

Today's witness had in the 90s roles going in and quizzing sub-postmasters who were having problems and also attending appeals after audit problems.. Yet she says she "doesn't remember being aware" that POL could carry out prosecutions. She only knew there were bugs in the system in 2011. She was Company Secretary for heaven's sake.
She's a "so" sayer. Virtually, every statement is preceeded by so.

Vennells in the hot seat tomorrow, wonder how many times she’ll say “I don’t remember” or “I don’t recall”? I suspect Jason Beer will be bringing his A game to tomorrows (and the following two days!) proceedings!
I hope they rip her a brand new one tbh, and that ultimately her and her “Don’t remember” cronies end up doing time!

Vennells in the hot seat tomorrow, wonder how many times she’ll say “I don’t remember” or “I don’t recall”? I suspect Jason Beer will be bringing his A game to tomorrows (and the following two days!) proceedings!
I hope they rip her a brand new one tbh, and that ultimately her and her “Don’t remember” cronies end up doing time!
The Counsel to the Inquiry will question her forensically but the barristers for the posties will rip her to bits and trash her reputation

The Counsel to the Inquiry will question her forensically but the barristers for the posties will rip her to bits and trash her reputation
big judge wyn Williams may constrain this as if she gets a mauling, she may be able to argue she cant get a fair trial later, he will obviously want her questioning robustly but he'll be well aware of what may come afterwards. Should be very interesting either way. I wouldn't want to be her for the next few days.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back