Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Muhamed Besic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mo Barry and McCarthy would work if we had two competent wingers to support Lukaku. I'm very high on Mirallas, and Lennon was solid when he came on, but he didn't have enough time on the pitch to really make an impact. I am concerned because Barry looked very sluggish on Saturday. I would love to see Martinez experiment with the same formation with Barkley taking Barry's role.

fabio-cannavaro-wallpapers-25-1-s-307x512.jpg

Obviously there are examples of top CBs who aren't tall, but in general it's an undeniable disadvantage and I think it's far less of a disadvantage in midfield.

Mainly though I just think he has too much else to offer to play CB.

Long term centre half partner for Stones?

Just putting it out there...

I think he has too much quality going forward defensively for that, likewise he is a little lightweight and small. Playing in a 3 man midfield will suit him and he is a bit like how Gravesen used to be in that he's all action but deceptively good on the ball.

It took us 3 or 4 years to push Gravesen forward and I think this lad could be a threat to opposition defences in a similar way.

Everton FC boss Roberto Martinez says that only injury and unavailability has prevented him from starting all three of his modern day Dogs of War in the same midfield.

Mo Besic, Gareth Barry and James McCarthy all started in the same midfield together for only the second time on Saturday.

The first was in the previous season’s derby match at Anfield.

The Blues boss said: “I can’t tell you my secrets but there have been moments when all three would have played but they weren’t fit.

“At Manchester United Mo played, but James McCarthy wasn’t fit.

"It’s a shape. It’s a system which allows you to play with three midfielders rather than a number 10.

“If all three would have been fit they would have played a lot more this season.”

Playing with 3 defensive minded CMs is a terrible idea, unless your idea of success if mere survival or you possess wingers so gifted they can provide all the creativity you need.

If Ross was one of the 3 CMs, for example, then it might be a lot more effective. But there's still the last 3 in the 4-3-3 to account for -- Rom isn't a winger, Naismith doesn't work well with Rom and the whole 'only one natural winger at a time' nonsense he insists on would mean, given the lack of a number 10, even more of the creative burden would fall on Mirallas's shoulders.

Ultimately, I'm just genuinely not sure what Roberto is trying to do. And worryingly it often feels like the players think that way too.

I know mate I was just being a bellend.

That's okay mate. I'm a bellend too.

The 3 man midfield was a total failure for me.

Barry just sat, which he does in a 2 man midfield, Jamo ran round like a madman snapping at peoples heels and being boss, which he does in a 2man midfield and Besic seemed wasted on the left wing for me.

Not sure if it was his job, but he picked up Gerrard whenever possible, seems a strange tactic considering how utterly sh1te he is these days.

Not a fan of that 3 man midfield, it might work better if Besic was the 1 sitting with a licence to get forward like a box to box, but we expect our middle player to sit.

As RUFUS said, the offensive players dont really offer us enough for it to work properly.

I think a 3man midfield is as pointless as a 3man defence.

Everton FC boss Roberto Martinez says that only injury and unavailability has prevented him from starting all three of his modern day Dogs of War in the same midfield.

Mo Besic, Gareth Barry and James McCarthy all started in the same midfield together for only the second time on Saturday.

The first was in the previous season’s derby match at Anfield.

The Blues boss said: “I can’t tell you my secrets but there have been moments when all three would have played but they weren’t fit.

“At Manchester United Mo played, but James McCarthy wasn’t fit.

"It’s a shape. It’s a system which allows you to play with three midfielders rather than a number 10.

“If all three would have been fit they would have played a lot more this season.”
I might be perceiving this wrong, and I'm not against grinding out a result when times are hard, but this just feels like another accommodation to squeeze barry into the team no matter what

I might be perceiving this wrong, and I'm not against grinding out a result when times are hard, but this just feels like another accommodation to squeeze barry into the team no matter what
It's how we set up against Arsenal last season, except with Osman, and then Barkley there instead of Besic.

The 3 man midfield would work better if Barkely was in there, I was saying during the derby that if he was in there he'd drive us forward unlike any of the other 3. Barkley in for Barry for me, but I really can't see RM dropping Barry.

I'd swap Naismith for Lennon and play lukaku center against Chelsea and keep the Barry besic McCarthy trio

Good shout, I'd like to see this.

No idea whether Martinez would fancy it like. Perhaps doubtful as Naismith seems to be undroppable, which is understandable as Naismith has been, bar Besic and McCarthy, the only player to turn up consistently this season for him.

3 CMs might be more effective if it's a McCarthy-Besic-Barkley trio.

Think we need to swerve playing Naismith as a false 9, though. Maybe give Barkley a go in that role. But preferably just play Lukaku through the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back