Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2021/22 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not getting into any arguments on here about Patterson. Time will tell if he is good enough, or nor. I think that he is. I think that he will become a very good player for us. Reason being , is that he is for now the Scotland RB. The Scottish management rate him. And in his last couple of outings for Scotland , he was man of the match. Not too shabby imo. For now that will do for me. Playing in the PL is his next step. He'll be ok.
We all know that he hasn't played much football. But what he has played is a few European matches for Rangers. And played well. A few internationals for Scotland. And played well. Do people want him to have been loaned out to say Sheffield Wed or Bolton. And have had lumps kicked out of him. That would have helped his development no end.
Patterson's only been at Everton a short time. Benetiz was right not to rush him. Lampard is now also right in his approach. Time will tell.
Patterson has shown enough to me in his few matches for Rangers and Scotland. That level is far better than any loan spell to a lower league outfit.
He will have a decent football career. Hopefully with Everton .
Ps.......don't understand punters on here criticising him , before even seeing him play. Watch clips of Scotland's last few World Cup qualifiers.
Rant over. Up The Toffees.

Did well given how slow and terrible our attack was. Surprised he was hooked over Townsend who was honestly one of the worst performances I've ever seen in an Everton shirt.

Felt he had lots to do on occasion but build up play was non existent. He failed on a 1 or 2 crosses but he was a threat.

I think he played far to safe but given that it was his debut it's understandable. Had we took an early lead, he would have had less pressure.

Plenty of improvement but lots of positives

Mate far to sen
Not getting into any arguments on here about Patterson. Time will tell if he is good enough, or nor. I think that he is. I think that he will become a very good player for us. Reason being , is that he is for now the Scotland RB. The Scottish management rate him. And in his last couple of outings for Scotland , he was man of the match. Not too shabby imo. For now that will do for me. Playing in the PL is his next step. He'll be ok.
We all know that he hasn't played much football. But what he has played is a few European matches for Rangers. And played well. A few internationals for Scotland. And played well. Do people want him to have been loaned out to say Sheffield Wed or Bolton. And have had lumps kicked out of him. That would have helped his development no end.
Patterson's only been at Everton a short time. Benetiz was right not to rush him. Lampard is now also right in his approach. Time will tell.
Patterson has shown enough to me in his few matches for Rangers and Scotland. That level is far better than any loan spell to a lower league outfit.
Ps.......don't understand punters on here criticising him , before even seeing him play. Watch clips of Scotland's last few World Cup qualifiers.
Exactly mate, far too sensible approach to the NP debate though, it'll never catch on!! ?

I was actually agreeing with you to a certain point, not writing him off and thought he looked OK yesterday, however, I think arguments lose their validity when people start saying 'facts' when it is obviously an opinion.

I have never watched him other than yesterday so mine is definitely an opinion and a weak one at that, but for me he showed that we shouldn't be writing him off. Hopefully he has the right attitude and with 2 of the best full backs that the Prem has seen in the coaching teams we can be assured he won't be short of expert coaching advice.
I'm not writing him off either. I've noted umpteen times that he offers something going forward (a point disregarded by the hard of learning) and that if he can add a defensive game to his play while on loan he can offer Everton something.

Right now he is not fit for purpose because we have better defenders and better wingers / wide men.

That's what Lampard sees. That's why Lampard has had him rooted to the bench.

The SPL is a better standard than our Championship?

Pffft.

Anyone of the top 6 in the Championship could go up there and win that title.

Celtic and Rangers would struggle to get promotion from that division.

And if the Championship was good enough for Barkley and Coleman (and Harry Kane) guess what - it's easily good enough for Patterson.

Look, we all want the best outcome here: another defender we can call upon in the PL. That isn't what we have though and he will have limited opportunity to get experience here as a FB or out wide. Ergo: loaning him out makes perfect sense.

Did well given how slow and terrible our attack was. Surprised he was hooked over Townsend who was honestly one of the worst performances I've ever seen in an Everton shirt.

Felt he had lots to do on occasion but build up play was non existent. He failed on a 1 or 2 crosses but he was a threat.

I think he played far to safe but given that it was his debut it's understandable. Had we took an early lead, he would have had less pressure.

Plenty of improvement but lots of positives

That for me as well, should have been pulled or even not started.

Honestly can’t understand how Coleman and Keane can make errors game after game yet get glowing praise but Patterson has a middling 45 minute debut and is getting called out. He didn’t look any worse than anyone else last night.
The main issue with him is that he's a spare arse part for us right now. He isn't a defender and he isn't good enough out wide to displace the likes of Gordon, Gray, Richarlison or Townsend. That's what FL obviously feels.

If that lad faced a PL attack the defence would be a lot more shaky than Keane or Coleman could ever make it.

No on is writing him off just yet. He needs to be handed a lot of game time to improve his defensive qualities. That isn't going to happen here because Coleman will remain number 1 choice at RB and Kenny is more than likely playing his way into a new contract as his deputy and someone who can slot in at LB too.

The cash laid out in January for Patterson and Mykolenko was a waste in the short term. Neither are good to go for 1st team selection. Mykoenko I thought would settle in and kick on by now. Ok, he had injuries, but he looks pretty ropey going forward.

Honestly can’t understand how Coleman and Keane can make errors game after game yet get glowing praise but Patterson has a middling 45 minute debut and is getting called out. He didn’t look any worse than anyone else last night.
He actually looked better than the majority in his 45min cameo!

Most of the negative opinion on here is being driven by a bitter old troll !!

The SPL is a better standard than our Championship?

Pffft.

Anyone of the top 6 in the Championship could go up there and win that title.

Celtic and Rangers would struggle to get promotion from that division.

And if the Championship was good enough for Barkley and Coleman (and Harry Kane) guess what - it's easily good enough for Patterson.

Look, we all want the best outcome here: another defender we can call upon in the PL. That isn't what we have though and he will have limited opportunity to get experience here as a FB or out wide. Ergo: loaning him out makes perfect sense.
I'd back Celtic and Rangers to do well in the championship. Just an opinion.
Would a championship team have beaten Dortmund a few weeks back. Would a championship club have beaten Barcelona a few seasons back.
All hypothetical I know. It's all about opinions. You say that Celtic and Rangers would not be great in the championship. Some pl clubs struggle to beat Championship sides. Our very own Everton would most likely at the present time struggle in the championship.
We toiled a little last night. Doesn't mean that we are non league standard.
Anyhow........all just hypothetical. Loans suited some players. Some ended up crocked. Some never heard of again. Loans could go either way.
Judge Patterson when you've seen him play a few matches. If he's not up to it , I'll be the first to say. But let's see.
Ps.....the championship wasn't exactly great for Barkley. Didn't do that LB ( actually forgotten his name) who's only just been let go , much Good either.
Loans are not for everyone.
And for what it's worth , I actually thought that Patterson would have been loaned straight back to Rangers.

Last edited:
Lampard having to deal with another question about Patterson in his press conference: "He did ok. He's a young player learning things". Which is pretty much where we are.

I'd back Celtic and Rangers to do well in the championship. Just an opinion.
Would a championship team have beaten Dortmund a few weeks back. Would a championship club have beaten Barcelona a few seasons back.
All hypothetical I know. It's all about opinions. You say that Celtic and Rangers would not be great in the championship. Some pl clubs struggle to beat Championship sides. Our very own Everton would most likely at the present time struggle in the championship.
We toiled a little last night. Doesn't mean that we are non league standard.
Anyhow........all just hypothetical. Loans suited some players. Some ended up crocked. Some never heard of again. Loans could go either way.
Judge Patterson when you've seen him play a few matches. If he's not up to it , I'll be the first to say. But let's see.
Ps.....the championship wasn't exactly great for Barkley. Didn't do that LB ( actually forgotten his name) who's only just been let go , much Good either.
Loans are not for everyone.
And for what it's worth , I actually thought that Patterson would have been loaned straight back to Rangers.
I said they'd struggle to get promotion from it, I didn't say they couldn't at some point do it.

It's a different thing entirley coasting along playing for the most part outfits like St Mirren and Raith Rovers and then peaking for an OF game or 4.

The Championship is competitive all season long with a lot of good clubs jostling for position with 2/3 outstanding clubs in that season. Celtic and Rangers would collapse under the weight of that intensity for 48 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back