2022/23 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shock as 21-year-old who's had a couple of bad injuries still has things to learn about football.
It’s not a shock, but it was looking like he was our first choice rb and he’s not good enough and he shouldn’t be doing his apprenticeship as first choice right back in a already struggling premier league team.

It’s not a shock, but it was looking like he was our first choice rb and he’s not good enough and he shouldn’t be doing his apprenticeship as first choice right back in a already struggling premier league team.

He was doing well when the season started from what I remember, seems to be a good game bad game routine. Has plenty to learn and Dyche is probably a good fit for him to learn more of the defensive side of the game.

Nobody is choosing to be a struggling prem team. It is what it is, he's got alot of potential and has shown what he can do, but he's also shown he needs to learn plenty more too. He's probably in that weird position of being too good for Championship where going on loan there wouldn't do much for him, but not quite consistent enough to start week in week out.

The other thing is that he's not the only one who has struggled. Collectively most of the players have been poor.

Throughout the whole season the only player I'd say has been extremely consisent is probably Tarkowski.

I wonder, if we had been in a better position and had more RB options, if a PSV style loan would have worked for Patterson this season. They attack so he'll be able to put those attributes to use, but they also are open, so would have lessons to learn defensively as other teams naturally attack too.

He was doing well when the season started from what I remember, seems to be a good game bad game routine. Has plenty to learn and Dyche is probably a good fit for him to learn more of the defensive side of the game.

Nobody is choosing to be a struggling prem team. It is what it is, he's got alot of potential and has shown what he can do, but he's also shown he needs to learn plenty more too. He's probably in that weird position of being too good for Championship where going on loan there wouldn't do much for him, but not quite consistent enough to start week in week out.

The other thing is that he's not the only one who has struggled. Collectively most of the players have been poor.

Throughout the whole season the only player I'd say has been extremely consisent is probably Tarkowski.

I wonder, if we had been in a better position and had more RB options, if a PSV style loan would have worked for Patterson this season. They attack so he'll be able to put those attributes to use, but they also are open, so would have lessons to learn defensively as other teams naturally attack too.
I think he would learn as much in the championship as he would in the Dutch league. He needs a solid season of games under him without the pressure or expectations that’s on him here he needs to hit the ground running and he didn’t really look that good to me put a couple of decent performances in but still too many mistakes in him and a lot to learn which he will only get from competitive first team football and that’s got to be away from us, if he does that for 2 seasons or shows great improvement with a loan next season he could potentially be our Rb for a good few years by 25 could have a player like antonee Robinson who’s looked really good last few seasons.

I think he would learn as much in the championship as he would in the Dutch league. He needs a solid season of games under him without the pressure or expectations that’s on him here he needs to hit the ground running and he didn’t really look that good to me put a couple of decent performances in but still too many mistakes in him and a lot to learn which he will only get from competitive first team football and that’s got to be away from us, if he does that for 2 seasons or shows great improvement with a loan next season he could potentially be our Rb for a good few years by 25 could have a player like antonee Robinson who’s looked really good last few seasons.

I agree more than anything he needs gametime. Let's not forget as well that Lampard set us up in a way that exposed most of the players. Perhaps the way Dyche sets up will suit him more defensively.

Agreed though, more than anything he needs a good, good run of games. If we had another 10 points on the board we would have been able to give him that when he returns from injury.

It is what it is, we can't expect a young player to come in and be the finished article. On the other side, we also can't rely on a 33 year old full back who's working as hard as ever despite being past his best to keep putting in good performances. This surely has to be Coleman's last season, which means we either need to invest in a right back and take some pressure of Patterson, or sign another young one and say right, Patterson's position, he plays, he learns.

I agree more than anything he needs gametime. Let's not forget as well that Lampard set us up in a way that exposed most of the players. Perhaps the way Dyche sets up will suit him more defensively.

Agreed though, more than anything he needs a good, good run of games. If we had another 10 points on the board we would have been able to give him that when he returns from injury.

It is what it is, we can't expect a young player to come in and be the finished article. On the other side, we also can't rely on a 33 year old full back who's working as hard as ever despite being past his best to keep putting in good performances. This surely has to be Coleman's last season, which means we either need to invest in a right back and take some pressure of Patterson, or sign another young one and say right, Patterson's position, he plays, he learns.
Ideal situation we get someone in on loan for a season but that’s going to be difficult given we can’t get any loans signings right never mind someone to play rb first choice for a season think Coleman would be good as back up for another year if it was rotation or a couple of games but he’s done a great job this year when called upon but we definitely need to secure someone for that position if we can strengthen the squad and get a wide player in a striker and someone in the middle who can create then I’d possibly be willing to give Patterson game time rb but definitely not while mykolenko is LB I think securing someone for LB is more important than our right side at the moment

Ideal situation we get someone in on loan for a season but that’s going to be difficult given we can’t get any loans signings right never mind someone to play rb first choice for a season think Coleman would be good as back up for another year if it was rotation or a couple of games but he’s done a great job this year when called upon but we definitely need to secure someone for that position if we can strengthen the squad and get a wide player in a striker and someone in the middle who can create then I’d possibly be willing to give Patterson game time rb but definitely not while mykolenko is LB I think securing someone for LB is more important than our right side at the moment
Im very much in the Coleman is past it group, but he has done a tremendous job, particularly since Dyche has come in. I do think part of that is because Dyche isn't asking him to bomb on alot. I dont think Coleman has ever has a good cross on him, but his movement and presence used to cause so many problems. Dyche has effectively said pick your moments and Coleman has done a great job at being disciplined. At his age, with the injury he had, with the energy and ground he must have covered in his career. For him to be still playing at 100mph is amazing.

I agree, LB far more important. Irrespective of whether Myko is good enough or not, we have one senior full back because Ruben Vinagre appears to be honking in everybody's view! Left back has to be the most pressing of the defensive positions. Ideally a full back who can cross a ball.

Hope we can develop, we're shocking at developing and managing young players.
This is one of the reasons we are hemorrhaging money. We rarely prepare talent to sell. Hopefully he can come good and fill the position or fetch some money on the market because boy do we need it.

Starts for me ideally to coincide with DCL comeback..... On the right flank. A la Coleman in the early days with Moyes.

Next season, he starts.

Could help coleman in games by putting patterson infront of him get coleman to push in as the rcb. Will give us another option off the bench instead of having mainly cb

Could help coleman in games by putting patterson infront of him get coleman to push in as the rcb. Will give us another option off the bench instead of having mainly cb
Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Dyche play him at right mid in front of Seamus - would be very Dyche. Though when fit would prefer to see him at right back - even though Seamus has battled away in most games.

It won't be Coleman's last season.

Tbf to him, he's afforded more protection under Dyche so he'll probably have another year left in him, but the club will look at what areas they need to prioritise and if Coleman wants another year, they'll give it to him and concentrate on other areas of the squad this summer knowing that between him and Patterson the right back slot is fine for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back