2022/23 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope we can develop, we're shocking at developing and managing young players.
We employ old skool manager types who tend to want to buy their way out of trouble/situations. If we are going to stick with the DoF model then we would be better (long term) with more of a head coach type who is more focused on the training ground stuff and the tactics, essentially someone who is all about improving and developing players and a team. I think the closest we have had was probably Silva.

We employ old skool manager types who tend to want to buy their way out of trouble/situations. If we are going to stick with the DoF model then we would be better (long term) with more of a head coach type who is more focused on the training ground stuff and the tactics, essentially someone who is all about improving and developing players and a team. I think the closest we have had was probably Silva.

Not a huge fan of the DOF model mate. Don’t think it’s suited us at all.

There should only be one Boss in my opinion.

Not a huge fan of the DOF model mate. Don’t think it’s suited us at all.

There should only be one Boss in my opinion.
It's only not suited to us because of the interference from above. It's really no more than a project management role that covers the various departments of the football club. You need to ignore the little whoppers who think it's all sitting there watching videos of players and travelling around watching games all the time because it's so not. I actually think it can only be a good thing as it's giving the manager/coach more time to work with the players which is what its meant to be all about. To me if a manager has got time to start doing all the stuff that DoF's do then he is neglecting work he could be doing with the players.

It's only not suited to us because of the interference from above. It's really no more than a project management role that covers the various departments of the football club. You need to ignore the little whoppers who think it's all sitting there watching videos of players and travelling around watching games all the time because it's so not. I actually think it can only be a good thing as it's giving the manager/coach more time to work with the players which is what its meant to be all about. To me if a manager has got time to start doing all the stuff that DoF's do then he is neglecting work he could be doing with the players.

I accept that the role is to big for one manager - like when Ferguson and Wenger did it or Moyes with us. I just don’t think it’s suited us at all, perhaps it to much of a culture shift, poor governance or dominant managers.

But on every metric we’ve disemproved, we are poor at recruiting and developing youth - in the 00s we were one of the most attractive teams for young players to sign and develop. Scouting seems atrocious. Costs are through the roof, injuries are long term, contracts are just run down, we’ve a different manager every year at best. We neglect and don’t develop youth, failing Lookman, Robinson, Vlasic, Kean, Gordon etc.

We spent a lot of money on the above structures, across three different DOF’s it’s been money for old rope really. Thelwells gone on a spree appointing loads of support staff - Dyche now comes in and will have his own ideas, he will dominate Thelwel, it’s just his personality.

Im at the point with it that we were better on all fronts when everything was under one figure hsad, by all means employ the support staff to take care of the work load and delegate, but having equal DOFs and managers just hasn’t worked here.

If I’m proved wrong in that I’ll happily acknowledge it, the evidence is da mining though. On every metric it’s been poor.

I accept that the role is to big for one manager - like when Ferguson and Wenger did it or Moyes with us. I just don’t think it’s suited us at all, perhaps it to much of a culture shift, poor governance or dominant managers.

But on every metric we’ve disemproved, we are poor at recruiting and developing youth - in the 00s we were one of the most attractive teams for young players to sign and develop. Scouting seems atrocious. Costs are through the roof, injuries are long term, contracts are just run down, we’ve a different manager every year at best. We neglect and don’t develop youth, failing Lookman, Robinson, Vlasic, Kean, Gordon etc.

We spent a lot of money on the above structures, across three different DOF’s it’s been money for old rope really. Thelwells gone on a spree appointing loads of support staff - Dyche now comes in and will have his own ideas, he will dominate Thelwel, it’s just his personality.

Im at the point with it that we were better on all fronts when everything was under one figure hsad, by all means employ the support staff to take care of the work load and delegate, but having equal DOFs and managers just hasn’t worked here.

If I’m proved wrong in that I’ll happily acknowledge it, the evidence is da mining though. On every metric it’s been poor.

It’s poor because it’s not been utilised properly. We’ve brought in various managers, each with their own style, who’ve brought in their own players. It’s gone wrong, we’ve brought someone new in and they’ve all been left with a mismatched squad.

DoF model isn’t the problem, Everton are the problem. There isn’t a successful club out there without one.

…..I liked what I saw before he came but I’ve actually been largely disappointed by him.

He’s a full international & he needs to start delivering when he gets his opportunity.
I think being bought into a struggling team hasn't helped.
For me he is about next season, Coleman is a must for now but this season is going to take the last out of him

I think he would learn as much in the championship as he would in the Dutch league. He needs a solid season of games under him without the pressure or expectations that’s on him here he needs to hit the ground running and he didn’t really look that good to me put a couple of decent performances in but still too many mistakes in him and a lot to learn which he will only get from competitive first team football and that’s got to be away from us, if he does that for 2 seasons or shows great improvement with a loan next season he could potentially be our Rb for a good few years by 25 could have a player like antonee Robinson who’s looked really good last few seasons.

lol you would loan him to the championship and hope he becomes as good as Robinson?

Thats a very harsh take.

Im very much in the Coleman is past it group, but he has done a tremendous job, particularly since Dyche has come in. I do think part of that is because Dyche isn't asking him to bomb on alot. I dont think Coleman has ever has a good cross on him, but his movement and presence used to cause so many problems. Dyche has effectively said pick your moments and Coleman has done a great job at being disciplined. At his age, with the injury he had, with the energy and ground he must have covered in his career. For him to be still playing at 100mph is amazing.

I agree, LB far more important. Irrespective of whether Myko is good enough or not, we have one senior full back because Ruben Vinagre appears to be honking in everybody's view! Left back has to be the most pressing of the defensive positions. Ideally a full back who can cross a ball.

Coleman has been like Keane recently.

Done well when sat deep.

…..I liked what I saw before he came but I’ve actually been disappointed by him.

He’s a full international & he needs to start delivering when he gets his opportunity.

He needs a run of games...keeps getting injuries which is terribly unlucky.

If he was being played as Coleman is now he'd be able to develop the defensive side to his game...but we need him to be good going forward as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back