2022/23 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I felt Nathan Patterson didn't do too badly today but his final ball was poor at times.
Didn't quite get it done at either end today. Still young enough to round into Prem form. DCL was poor until he suddenly wasn't, etc.

I would put it this way: if in a month's time he's the weakest link among the starters, I will be ecstatic.

I thought at Stoke he looked solid enough, but that was poor again today.

Opponents running by him is a major concern. 18 months he's been down here and still we wait for real signs he's up to the task.

Garner at RB is a much better call than starting Patterson. Coleman cant get back quick enough for me. He's still the best RB we have at the club.

Ashley Young started more games last season than Patterson has started in his career.

But can they perfect the cross into the box,if we were one of the top eight we'd have the time to find out.
I can’t speak for Garner, but I’ve watched Patterson a fair amount and he did it for Rangers and Scotland, he’s probably over-thinking it when he gets into a good attacking position. As I said before hopefully once he gets his 1st assist his confidence will grow, and it’ll take the pressure off and he’ll start to deliver good quality balls into the box consistently. Garner has the quality too, but not having watched him a lot before he joined Everton, so I maybe wrong here, but he was mostly played as a deep sitting midfielder, and on occasion, right back for England, so he’s probably not finding himself in wide attacking areas so often. I thought they looked decent today down the right, defensively, and given time I think they will prove to be a threat going forward.

I can’t speak for Garner, but I’ve watched Patterson a fair amount and he did it for Rangers and Scotland, he’s probably over-thinking it when he gets into a good attacking position. As I said before hopefully once he gets his 1st assist his confidence will grow, and it’ll take the pressure off and he’ll start to deliver good quality balls into the box consistently. Garner has the quality too, but not having watched him a lot before he joined Everton, so I maybe wrong here, but he was mostly played as a deep sitting midfielder, and on occasion, right back for England, so he’s probably not finding himself in wide attacking areas so often. I thought they looked decent today down the right, defensively, and given time I think they will prove to be a threat going forward.
Honestly can't agree,Garner at RB and Danjuma on the right. Patterson has time on his side but for me he's a long way from the finished product.

Honestly can't agree,Garner at RB and Danjuma on the right. Patterson has time on his side but for me he's a long way from the finished product.
I fear he's going to be one of those players who looks the part but aren't very good.

I don’t think he’s too far away,
Ashley Young was worse defensively today than Patterson was. Fact.
I don’t think Patterson played badly today, certainly not defensively. But I have to admit that he’s not played as well as I’d hoped offensively. There are times when he shows flashes of his capabilities going forward, but his final ball has been poor more often than not. I hope that he can get a few assists early on in the season to improve his confidence

I don’t think he’s too far away,

I don’t think Patterson played badly today, certainly not defensively. But I have to admit that he’s not played as well as I’d hoped offensively. There are times when he shows flashes of his capabilities going forward, but his final ball has been poor more often than not. I hope that he can get a few assists early on in the season to improve his confidence
Think we all agree that a few assists would help. Think his main problem going forward is his lack of guile, in a straight foot race he'll do okay but when faced by a fullback who stands up to him he appears clueless. As I said time is on his side but in a season when every point will be vital we need someone with true creativity on the right. Sadly that's not him.

Think we all agree that a few assists would help. Think his main problem going forward is his lack of guile, in a straight foot race he'll do okay but when faced by a fullback who stands up to him he appears clueless. As I said time is on his side but in a season when every point will be vital we need someone with true creativity on the right. Sadly that's not him.
I’ll disagree with you on this point, even today there were a couple of occasions he waltzed bye 2-3 Sporting players, only to play a poor ball. He can go past players using skill, technique and pace.

I’ll disagree with you on this point, even today there were a couple of occasions he waltzed bye 2-3 Sporting players, only to play a poor ball. He can go past players using skill, technique and pace.
Think we were watching different games. But I truly hope you are right and I'm wrong as I doubt we'll sign anyone before the window closes.

Think we were watching different games. But I truly hope you are right and I'm wrong as I doubt we'll sign anyone before the window closes.
I don’t think right back is anywhere near the biggest concern, Patterson, Coleman and Garner (if needs be, although personally I prefer him in midfield), seems like enough cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.