NCAA (US College) Sports

Since the days when Vanderbilt was good. Speaking of whom, they seem to be giving Ole Miss a game.
They were, but the wheels fell off immediately once the second half started.

Meanwhile, Tennessee might actually be pretty good this season. Our win over LSU earlier today was probably the most complete victory we’ve had over a decent team in 15-20 years.

They were, but the wheels fell off immediately once the second half started.

Meanwhile, Tennessee might actually be pretty good this season. Our win over LSU earlier today was probably the most complete victory we’ve had over a decent team in 15-20 years.
Like I said last week, the game at Neyland next week looked like one to circle.

No one noticed so the rest added another?
Could be it. We’ve been easy not to notice in recent years.
Like I said last week, the game at Neyland next week looked like one to circle.
In terms of national implications, it’s almost certainly the biggest game in Knoxville in a generation. Considering that in the 90’s when I was growing up it seemed like we played 1 or 2 of these types of games a season, that’s hard to believe.

TBF, been about the same for us. Except we haul in ungodly sums of money.

Expecting your Drew Gilbert to be manning CF for my Astros quite soon. Looks quite the player.
Was apparently pretty good while he was playing here. I’m the textbook definition of a bandwagon fan when it comes to UT baseball, so I didn’t follow his career all that closely.

In terms of national implications, it’s almost certainly the biggest game in Knoxville in a generation. Considering that in the 90’s when I was growing up it seemed like we played 1 or 2 of these types of games a season, that’s hard to believe.
No kidding. One of the guys that lived next door to me in college my junior year was from Knoxville, and was at the game when you finally got the Gator monkey off your back. He rolled in at 1 AM or so, and I asked him how it was. He simply replied, "Awesome. I have never seen goalposts come down that fast." I had already seen the clip, and it did seem to sum it up.

No kidding. One of the guys that lived next door to me in college my junior year was from Knoxville, and was at the game when you finally got the Gator monkey off your back. He rolled in at 1 AM or so, and I asked him how it was. He simply replied, "Awesome. I have never seen goalposts come down that fast." I had already seen the clip, and it did seem to sum it up.
I was at the UF win a couple weeks ago, and it’s just not quite the same. All the modernization and addition of so much luxury seating on the home sideline has really cut into the stadium’s atmosphere.

That said, next weekend will be wild, particularly if we win. I’m still at the point where I’ll believe UT can beat a Nick Saban team the moment the clock hits 0:00 and we have the lead. As difficult as this is to believe, the last time we beat him was a week and a half after 9/11. To say he’s had our number is massively underselling it.

I was at the UF win a couple weeks ago, and it’s just not quite the same. All the modernization and addition of so much luxury seating on the home sideline has really cut into the stadium’s atmosphere.

That said, next weekend will be wild, particularly if we win. I’m still at the point where I’ll believe UT can beat a Nick Saban team the moment the clock hits 0:00 and we have the lead. As difficult as this is to believe, the last time we beat him was a week and a half after 9/11. To say he’s had our number is massively underselling it.
Unfortunate that they've done that. They never seemed to have any problem effectively selling donors a PSL every season in return for the best seats.

Then again, that was back when they were good. I'm not in touch with what's happened during the lean times.

Unfortunate that they've done that. They never seemed to have any problem effectively selling donors a PSL every season in return for the best seats.

Then again, that was back when they were good. I'm not in touch with what's happened during the lean times.
It’s been exactly what you would expect. All through the 90’s and most of the 00’s season tickets were pretty scarce and the ones that were available required a substantial donation to purchase them. Single game tickets weren’t really a thing.

Around 2010 the team’s fortunes taking a downturn combined with all the games being on TV made it so that buying season tickets didn’t make as much sense because you could pick them up on the street before the game for well below face value except when Alabama and Georgia fans would come up and pay a premium for them and take over the stadium.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back