NCAA (US College) Sports

As long as no financial benefit accrues to yours truly, my abilities are stunning at times.
animated-soothsayer-and-fortune-teller-image-0019.gif

after app states victory. this sport is the best

I have a friend who has an App State/FSU double hook into this game and ol' Jimbo. Can't begin to describe how happy this guy is.

Jimbo is just Bobby Petrino without a Jeep. I really enjoyed that. $1.5 mil and a W is a good day's work for App State.

It's like they don't know their history, or something.

There are at least two Bama fans running around here that haven’t found this thread yet.

@CrimsonToffee is the obvious, but I don’t recall the other

*October 1st I’ll regret tagging them in
I usually don't talk too much about college football on any non-Alabama-football boards I frequent, because from my experience as an Alabama fan, any time Bama comes up as a topic, 90% of the posts are just accusing us of buying players or paying off refs. Or on the very rare occasion we actually lose, just unmitigated celebration from every other fanbase.

I get that it comes with the territory of being at the top, but I'm not an actual member of the team, so as a fan it just gets tiring to have the same experience over and over. I'm all for friendly banter or legitimate discussion, though, for sure.

Wonder if we can talk Nebraska into taking Bill O'Brien?

I usually don't talk too much about college football on any non-Alabama-football boards I frequent, because from my experience as an Alabama fan, any time Bama comes up as a topic, 90% of the posts are just accusing us of buying players or paying off refs. Or on the very rare occasion we actually lose, just unmitigated celebration from every other fanbase.

I get that it comes with the territory of being at the top, but I'm not an actual member of the team, so as a fan it just gets tiring to have the same experience over and over. I'm all for friendly banter or legitimate discussion, though, for sure.

Yes

You'll get some grief here, but largely good natured banter - which sorry, will include some celebration when you lose. It does come with the territory.

I wouldn't let it get ugly.

Last edited:

They got where they are with a failed NFL coach to start with. Actually, Ed Orgeron would be just about perfect for that job if you ask me. I sure hope they don't do that.
To all Bama fans, I wish you Fireball shots with Buffalo Rock chasers. You do understand that Everton is the Auburn of English football, right? I have a thread on that in the GOT archives back somewhere in the deep past between Cam and kick six. Enjoy it while it lasts with Saban - if you're old enough you remember what it was like in the wilderness times after Bear left. All things are subject to Stein's Law.

They got where they are with a failed NFL coach to start with. Actually, Ed Orgeron would be just about perfect for that job if you ask me. I sure hope they don't do that.
To all Bama fans, I wish you Fireball shots with Buffalo Rock chasers. You do understand that Everton is the Auburn of English football, right? I have a thread on that in the GOT archives back somewhere in the deep past between Cam and kick six. Enjoy it while it lasts with Saban - if you're old enough you remember what it was like in the wilderness times after Bear left. All things are subject to Stein's Law.
Orgeron at Nebraska would be entertaining at least. But I don't think there's anyone out there that could really revive that program in this era. No real recruiting base and just way too much ground to make up against their geographical / conference rivals.

I will preface the Everton part with one comment: my girlfriend constantly comments on how weird it must feel for me to be an Everton fan and an Alabama fan at the same time. And she's not wrong, of course. But I wouldn't say Everton is the Auburn of English football. That's a massive insult. Auburn has nowhere near as much historical success. They're more like Newcastle or Leeds - they have a few successes sprinkled here and there over the years, but not enough to be one of the truly big boys except in their own heads.

For me, Everton is more like, say, Oklahoma - probably a top-5 all-time program, true blue-blood with success in multiple different eras of the game. But one that has had trouble staying truly competitive at the very top in recent years - despite a flew flashes of promise here and there - and hasn't really won much since the 1980s (2000 for Oklahoma, 1995 for Everton).

In my estimation, the comparisons would be something like this:

Alabama -> Manchester United (most championships, all-time greatest & iconic coaches)
Notre Dame -> Liverpool (lots of success and history, hate them both, ha)
Ohio State / USC -> Arsenal (again, lots of success in different eras, but not as many trophies as those above them)
Oklahoma -> Everton (see above)
Michigan -> Aston Villa (old-school blue-blood that really should be a bigger deal than they currently are but can't quite get it together)
Clemson -> Chelsea / Manchester City (a sprinkling of success in the distant past, but very successful only in the most recent era - can they sustain it?)

I'll be 38 in three days, so I just missed out on the Coach Bryant era by a couple of years. My first memory of Alabama football is the 1992 Sugar Bowl win vs. Miami. So, yeah, I very much lived through the dark years between Stallings and Saban. Dubose, Franchione, Price, Shula - what a run!

Last edited:
Orgeron at Nebraska would be entertaining at least. But I don't think there's anyone out there that could really revive that program in this era. No real recruiting base and just way too much ground to make up against their geographical / conference rivals.

I will preface the Everton part with one comment: my girlfriend constantly comments on how weird it must feel for me to be an Everton fan and an Alabama fan at the same time. And she's not wrong, of course. But I wouldn't say Everton is the Auburn of English football. That's a massive insult. Auburn has nowhere near as much historical success. They're more like Newcastle or Leeds - they have a few successes sprinkled here and there over the years, but not enough to be one of the truly big boys except for in their own heads.

For me, Everton is more like, say, Oklahoma - probably a top-5 all-time program, true blue-blood with success in multiple different eras of the game. But one that has had trouble staying truly competitive at the very top in recent years - despite a flew flashes of promise here and there - and hasn't really won much since the 1980s (2000 for Oklahoma, 1995 for Everton).

In my estimation, the comparisons would be something like this:

Alabama -> Manchester United (most championships, all-time greatest & iconic coaches)
Notre Dame -> Liverpool (lots of success and history, hate them both, ha)
Ohio State / USC -> Arsenal (again, lots of success in different eras, but not as many trophies as those above them)
Oklahoma -> Everton (see above)
Michigan -> Aston Villa (old-school blue-blood that really should be a bigger deal than they currently are but can't quite get it together)
Clemson -> Chelsea / Manchester City (a sprinkling of success in the distant past, but very successful only in the most recent area - can they sustain it?)

I'll be 38 in three days, so I just missed out on the Coach Bryant era by a couple of years. My first memory of Alabama football is the 1992 Sugar Bowl win vs. Miami. So, yeah, I very much lived through the dark years between Stallings and Saban. Dubose, Franchione, Price, Shula - what a run!
On a football basis, you are correct. Auburn was historically terrible until the late 50's. Next to Everton football, Auburn football has no history. Oklahoma is an excellent example and I would suggest Indiana basketball, myself. It is the most important thing in the state, and it has been in the wilderness for an achingly long time.
On a cultural basis however it is the same in Gadsden and L4. By six, you must declare Roll Tide or War Eagle. It defines your life. You live in the same family and often in the same house with THEM. No thing matches football in importance in Liverpool or in Alabama. I don't mean no sport, I mean no thing. It's about how close you have to rub up against each other day in and day out and the intensity of the outcome for each side. Also, both are in places that are treated like crap by the rest of the country they have to live with. I base it more on people and culture than football. Anybody from Bootle or Opelika will see it almost immediately in the other if they take a good look at it.
If we are both ever in Bessemer at the same time, I'd love to discuss this over the seafood plate at the Bright Star. I've got about 30+ years on you and I've seen a lot.

Q: Why did they fire Ray Perkins?
A: There was nobody left in the state of Alabama who wasn't mad at him.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back