2022/23 Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
….strikers relish that lone role when their defence is under the cosh, they fight for everything, run the channels and use their back to goal technique to hold the ball up, keep possession and get free kicks. Maupay doesn’t do that and he doesn’t terrify defenders with his quality.

He’s an upgrade on Rondon but he’s added very little, which is a disappointment for Thelwell/Lampard.
They decided to sign him
It's a bigger disappointment for us

….the technique is to turn those high balls into passes into your body by backing into the bigger CB. It’s what you do. Put your arms and backside out, take the defender a yard back with you so the ball comes into your chest. He’s very ordinary with his back to goal play.

We bought a player that doesn’t fit our strategy, tbh I’m not certain what type of striker he is. perhaps he’s a good sub.
What is our strategy?
And why did we buy a player that doesn't fit " our strategy "?

What is our strategy?
And why did we buy a player that doesn't fit " our strategy "?

….I imagine the strategy is to have a DCL type striker; big, strong, mobile, fast, who can play back to goal, who can occupy defenders, who can run the channels and be a goal threat.

Remembering on how far into the season we waited to bring a striker in, I think the club have massively gambled on DCL returning to full fitness. It became obvious Rondon was not a capable back-up and we were forced to bring somebody in late in the window.

We can’t gamble again on DCL being fit and healthy when the January window opens.

I think the criticism of Maupay is a little unfair currently. I see him more as a 2nd striker playing off a centre forward, we've been forced to play him up front on his own and he's struggling a bit. Regardless of the fitness of DCL, we should have brought in another central striker and certainly must in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back