Neville Southall. TV special on the legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the big man but the program left me cold. Not enough playing coverage of him and too much of big nose
Agree. Very poor documentary... why the 0-5 vs Them is always some big deal when anything about Everton in the 1980s is on, baffles me. More time was spent on that than the leagues title wins in 85 and 87. It wasn't any sort of turning point and things got worse after that- before the great period. There were only three games largely featured- that, the 1-7 Wales drubbing and the 84 cup final... and in those three, Neville let in 12 goals. Disappointing to say the least.

Agree. Very poor documentary... why the 0-5 vs Them is always some big deal when anything about Everton in the 1980s is on, baffles me. More time was spent on that than the leagues title wins in 85 and 87. It wasn't any sort of turning point and things got worse after that- before the great period. There were only three games largely featured- that, the 1-7 Wales drubbing and the 84 cup final... and in those three, Neville let in 12 goals. Disappointing to say the least.

It didn't show many of his saves, he made far better ones than what they decided to put out. Like you say mainly spent focusing on two loses. For instance the Wales v Germany game in 1991 when they were World Champions he made save after save and actually ended up on the winning side, Wales also played The Netherlands in 1988 and although they lost 0-1 if you read the reports Southall was heroic in that performance and Gullit said he was the best in the world.

They completely passed over 87 and went to him sat against the post in 90 and the 95 cup final was right at kickoff and then the end of match. Just another case of Liverpool supporters in the media probably. Although it was still interesting to hear the man and get some views of friends etc.

Excatly.

Even our best period in history the BBC sees through the prism of LFC. Like it only becomes relevant in that light.

The BBC also chose not to tell his other story on social media, which is his other 'life' as it were. I wonder why?

Horrible gets.

Gloating on how many he put past him - urm then saying he was the greatest - do you think his head fitted through the door after that interview? lol
Again, if I scored past Neville Southall, the world wouldn't hear the end of it

Excatly.

Even our best period in history the BBC sees through the prism of LFC. Like it only becomes relevant in that light.

The BBC also chose not to tell his other story on social media, which is his other 'life' as it were. I wonder why?

Horrible gets.
When they showed that loss to them it was pretty much halfway through the programme. I was thinking to myself. How are they going to show all the good bits and his post football teaching career/social media stuff in 15 mins.Obviously they didn't.

They did one on John Toshack the week before. Didn't bother watching that (for obvious reasons), but I bet the win/loss ratio of the clips were completely different.

I stated it was very average - no footage of great saves in our great period just defeats, but he was the no 1 keeper in the world at his peak of 4-5 seasons .... he could catch a ball......

Enjoyed it for the Llandudno bits (Neville lived across the football field / swings from me when I was a kid in the '70's, Joey and Frankie Jones lived around the corner from him). Thought they could have made more of his Everton saves and much more about the fantastic work he's done more recently. All in all a missed opportunity I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.