New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those ok or willing to live with Rafael, what happens if he underachieved as is very likely? What then? What does he have going for him? He won't even get the time just a run of the mill manager would get. This idea he guarantees results is beyond me. He is another short short term idea. And what's more a large section of us will never take to him.
We get rid and get another manager, just like every other manager we appoint.

What's more, if they are canny, and seen as he is currently out of work and desperate for the job, we can hold the cards in terms of clauses.

But let's flip it on its head. Say we don't pick him. Let's say its Galtier. He comes, and we are start terribly. He doesn't adapt, and he doesn't settle in the area. People get on his back because his English poor and the football isn't great. By October we are bottom 4 despite an inviting early fixture list. We sack him, give him another huge pay off, and now we are looking for a steady reliable manager to get us out of a mess. The tables have turned and the idea of replacing a top guy who walked because the biggest team in the world comes knocking has gone and we are in desperate grovelling mode. There's zero chance of appointing Ferguson now, as a difficult task is now much harder. We look to Benitez again, but he has either taken another job or more likely goes "f@%* that, thanks but no thanks."

As has been discussed, any number of possibilities is possible, including Benitez being a success or a failure. But that is the only place that experience and and a long career trumps flavour of the month appointments. Better the devil you know.

In an ideal world, we are not in a position where Benitez looks like, on balance, the most logical, safest bet of an option, even if that safe bet is mid table status quo. The last thing we need is gambling on a 6th "maybe this 1 will work" attempt at appointing a manager.

If the board have done their homework and think Benitez, for his flaws, is the best choice for the business, and they turn that down out of fear of upsetting a few people on the Internet, then they genuinely are as pathetic and as out of their depth as those that constantly attack them accuse them of.

This should be a cold, logical decision, not 1 made in passion or politics. We've suffered from that for decades going back to Harvey getting the job, before getting Kendall back, and then hiring the "next big thing" at the time in Mike Walker.

Last edited:
Seems overkill to me.

I guess because I came around later to Everton in 2013. I try to not take those manager/coach comments too seriously in any sport I watch. Fans are tribalist, managers can be tribalist. If Rafael were managing Everton and had said that about Liverpool, I have a feeling Everton fans would have loved it.

It depends on the person. Some would, not all would. Not enough to make people forget about his past as soon as the team starts to struggle for a couple of games on the bounce.

No manager should have to deal with that kind of pressure anyway.

Appointing Benitez could break the bond between many fans and the club. As a season ticket holder for many years I don't think I have ever felt so let down by the club. Yes, we have the disappointment of losing big games, losing our best players, etc, but we can live with that. But this is unforgivable. I for one won't be bothered anymore whether we win or lose. I'll just be waiting for the day he is sacked but the hatred and the anger which will precede that inevitable outcome will be unbearable and I will be staying away from it. But I doubt I'll ever feel the same way about the club which could so arrogantly ignore the feelings of its fans and instead slaps us in the face in this way.
Not doubting your feelings or honesty in the least.

But, a lot of football fans are fickle.
Everton win the first half dozen games under Nuno/Benitez/? then suddenly all is forgiven.

I haven't read all of the posts on this thread, but I have read a lot of them.
Unless the expression " Buddy" has been completely adopted in Liverpool from our American supporters then "some" of the most vehement anti Benitez comments have come from our brethren over three thousand miles away from Liverpool.

In all honesty the bond between any Premiership club and it's owners has been fractured for a long time.
The recent ESL fiasco showed that to everybody.
Clubs now are just commercial businesses where the stock in trade happen to be people(footballers).

There will be people who will walk away because of Benitez but probably not very many , if he is successful anything lost will be more than made up.

I don't think it is an appointment that needs to be made, there are alternatives. Unfortunately none of the alternatives linked with us stir my blood . Most of those linked are ordinary and boring... even Nuno hardly sets the pulse racing.

I still believe that Benitez and others have made it through a process and that now decision time is coming.

I have been supporting Everton since 1969/1970. I have seen more bad times than good. I support the club rather than the manager and that won't change.

But, that is my opinion and people are free to disagree... as you are.

We get rid and get another manager, just like every other manager we appoint.

What's more, if they are canny, and seen as he is currently out of work and desperate for the job, we can hold the cards in terms of clauses.

But let's flip it on its head. Say we don't pick him. Let's say its Gaultier. He comes, and we are start terribly. He doesn't adapt, and he doesn't settle in the area. People get on his back because his English poor and the football isn't great. By October we are bottom 4 despite an inviting early fixture list. We sack him, give him another huge pay off, and now we are looking for a steady reliable manager to get us out of a mess. The tables have turned and the idea of replacing a top guy who walked because the biggest team in the world comes knocking has gone and we are in desperate grovelling mode. There's zero chance of appointing Ferguson now, as a difficult task is now much harder. We look to Benitez again, but he has either taken another job or more likely goes "f@%* that, thanks but no thanks."

As has been discussed, any number of possibilities is possible, including Benitez being a success or a failure. But that is the only place that experience and and a long career trumps flavour of the month appointments. Better the devil you know.

In an ideal world, we are not in a position where Benitez looks like, on balance, the most logical, safest bet of an option, even if that safe bet is mid table status quo. The last thing we need is gambling on a 6th "maybe this 1 will work" attempt at appointing a manager.

If the board have done their homework and think Benitez, for his flaws, is the best choice for the business, and they turn that down out of fear of upsetting a few people on the Internet, then they genuinely are as pathetic and as out of their depth as those that constantly attack them accuse them of.

This should be a cold, logical decision, not 1 made in passion or politics. We've suffered from that for decades going back to Harvey getting the job, before getting Kendall back, and then hiring the "next big thing" at the time in Mike Walker.
its Galtier, learn his name first

Compared to Moyes , he had a much bigger spend mate

Prices go up with time. You would not have got a Per Kroldrup for 5M in Martinez's time.

The biggest issue was that there was a massive gaping hole up front as Martinez came in with no viable top level strikers

Those ok or willing to live with Rafael, what happens if he underachieved as is very likely? What then? What does he have going for him? He won't even get the time just a run of the mill manager would get. This idea he guarantees results is beyond me. He is another short short term idea. And what's more a large section of us will never take to him.

If any manager underachieves here minus a world class name the fans will largely be on their back.

Obviously with Benitez the fans will be twice as bad on his back but lets be honest its been that way since Martinez.

The fans are desperate for some form of success.

I dont want Benitez or Nuno but its ultimately not my decision so whoever gets it we have to give at least 1 season before we call for their head minus a disaster season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back