Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Help me what boxes does he tick beyond "name", "cv", and " experience"? Because whilst I accept he WAS a good manager, I would say his recent record is poor relegation and a 13th and a 10th at Newcastle alongside failure in China. There is a reason he is desperate for our job because he is a washed up irrelevance with the top clubs. We need to implement an identity how many times can we say it a big name manager won't solve our issues certainly not one who has disrespected the club and will forever be a red legend?! His appointment would be toxic and very short term again... While clubs like Leicester, Villa and Leeds romp away for us in terms of long term recruitment plan and identity. I haven't even mentioned the top six. We have been through five or six managers in as many years and are circling the drain. We need to commit to the director of football model. I was fine with Carlo whilst he was here for results and here for the rebuild because he is undoubtedly a great manager but now he is gone it's time to get that identity and slot coaches in and out. A big name especially one a large section of the fanbase isn't ever going to get behind isn't going to magically fix our squad or the performances on the pitch. What's more it's very likely we will be back here in eighteen months.

You say ancelotti is a great manager and at the same time say Benitez is washed up. I don't get how you can justify that. Ancelotti failed at Napoli and Bayern before joining us and then only managed 10th mid table mediocrity.

Newcastle fans were delighted with the job Rafael did there and understandably so, he pretty much maximised the potential of what he could do there. The China job doesn't really interest me as its not a very good marker of what he could do with us considering language barriers and the dynamics of that particular league.

Rafael has a proven record of taking 3 teams who are not considered top clubs in their respective divisions and winning trophies with them. Valencia he won the title and got to the champions league final. Liverpool at the time were finishing 5th or 6th regualry and Benitez won them the Champions league. And Napoli I believe won the Cup with him there. That's exactly what we need, a manager who can win us a trophy as a second rate team and thats what we are at the moment. Ancelotti has won lots of trophies yes, but how many has he won that were not expected? I'm struggling to answer that.

I'm not Rafas number one fan or anything but you need to give credit where its due. Likewise with Moyes, people talked as though he had suddenly become a bad manager after a few jobs which didn't suit him and didnt suit his qualities as a manager. But he goes to West ham and does a fine job and I do think he will continue to do well there, but given their finances he will suffer the same glass ceiling he had at us for many years.

When people talk of managers being washed up, i think in most cases its a myth, surely they can only get better with more experience? I understand in some cases like Mourinho, if they lose their charisma which was his main attribute to being successful then they can become worse managers. But Rafael is a different kind of manager, in recent interviews he seems as knowledgeable as ever and he's the type of manager who is pragmatic and gets results and I have no doubt he will do a very steady job with us and given the tools (ie better signings) will inevitably start reaching the targets we have set.

We should go for the best we can get

Marcelo Bielsa
Exciting football and not on a long contract, would we lure him?

Brendan Rodgers
Would take him as his teams always play great football but is he a choker?

Dean Smith
Very impressed with his team building but would be leave from an exciting project

Conte
Yeah would get us in the headline but he turned down spurs

Mauricio Pochettino
Would love this but he at PSG, he in no rush to come back.

Regardless of who is chosen theres going to be a sizable portion here and elsewhere who handwave however crap we will be with the whole "what do you expect? These aren't HIS players. Let's judge him after he gets in HIS players".
I think this is half of the problem we have, we can play a team with players from 4 or 5 managers, and wonder why we dont gel

That’s an issue with me giving a manager what ever he wants that really worked well with Koeman ,top managers get very well paid it would be nice to get a manager who actually wants to come here to try their best to awaken this sleeping (comatosed) giant and not because we had to bribe them just a thought

Would it be a bribe? Giving him what he wants, not just in terms of personally earnings. Or giving the best tools we can to be successful at his job. Which benefits all of us?

What CA did ensure that by finishing the season very poorly that the pool of managers is probably somehwhat smaller than if we had qualified for a UEFA competition, IMO.

If we can appoint the best manager possible while incrementally improving the squad season on season we will get there. Much quicker than appointing a Moyes mk2 who will be here 10 years making baby steps. A top manager like CA and his mentality used narrative about qualifying for Champions League whereas Moyes mentality gave us the underdog tag, and managers since.

A top manager will bring a big club and winning mentality, that needs to be fed in to the club, again IMO.

Marcelo Bielsa

Brendan Rodgers

Dean Smith
Very impressed with his team building but would be leave from an exciting project

Conte

Mauricio Pochettino
Dean Smith. lol lol lol

Marcelo Bielsa

Brendan Rodgers

Dean Smith

Conte

Mauricio Pochettino

Checks notes.

Why would Rodgers leave Leicester for us?

Marcelo Bielsa

Brendan Rodgers

Dean Smith

Conte

Mauricio Pochettino
There are other leagues outside of the PL you know!

I think this is half of the problem we have, we can play a team with players from 4 or 5 managers, and wonder why we dont gel
Exactly. We give out 5 year contracts and then renew them one year in so essentially 6 years, go through 5 managers with VASTLY different playing styles and then say we need to give the next manager time to get his players in? It's not going to happen. Find a manager who can work with what we have and build from there. People excused the absolute crap we were served up from Carlo because "these aren't the players he is used to managing". That shouldn't matter, at all. If it's Nuno he's going to want to play 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 and we have like 2 players who will fit his system. If and when he is sacked we're saddled with players who he brings in to fit his "system" that the next manager will most likely not want to play in that system.

i dont get this beef with the mendes link. look at some of the players wolves brought in regardless of them being portuguese. now look at the players weve brought in the past 5 years.
Mendes moves the players in then also moves them on when their their value has increased enough to realise Gestifute a tidy profit.
Do not forget he not only acts as the players agent but habitually actually owns a share of the player.
At Wolves he is on the board and has supplied not only the outgoing manager but also the incoming one.
I accept that in modern day football it is necessary to sup with Devil but in this case I would prefer to use the longest spoon available.

Marcelo Bielsa

Brendan Rodgers

Dean Smith

Conte

Mauricio Pochettino
No way will Rodgers take such a backwards step and if we dont go for Rafael we wont go for another RS anytime soon, and Bielsa wont leave his project to sort our mess out. Conte we dont want as we need long term, Poch isnt an option. Dean Smith is an interesting one but i cant see it but that is the type we should look out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back