Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
All managers out of work are all looking for their next pay day it’s like a managers merry go round, I doubt anyone on that list will be to concerned if they last 6 months or 3 years due to the vast pay offs they get success or failure.
I doubt very many mangers especially nowadays have any locality to the clubs they manage it’s just a job to them they fail they move on the succeed they move on.
Yes in a way although you have more of a shot of a longer reign with a younger manager who is successful building a project with you ala Rogers/Poch. But the high manager turnover now is why we need to have an overall identity with the DOF and can slot coaches in and out if needs be, appointing big names will always disrupt that because they want their own way with transfers. Plus you are guaranteed they are short term. Rafael is just toxic anyway I find it hard to ever accept him and it may be partly emotional because of how he disrespected us, when I look at his face I see Kopite defined by their successes and whatever he does with us will be defined by them when it should be about our club, but it's mostly because I think it's the wrong move, again. And us shooting ourselves in the foot. But it's Everton so I bet it happens.

The man doesn’t think set piece goals count and has finished in the top half of the Premier League once in his career. I admire your absolutely baseless optimism.

I would like to think he has improved as a manager since his time here, he is still pretty young management wise.

That said he would be doomed anyway. Your post is what the majority will feel so he would be on a hiding to nothing even if he had managed to sort his issues out because once we go 2-0 down in a game or make a defensive error it would flare up again.

I would like to think that we have a bigger net that extends further than managers who used to manage us or people who live close to Finch Farm.

I like Martinez but I would be fuming if we brought him back, same with Moyes.

Yes which is why we need to have an overall identity with the DOF and can slot coaches in and out if needs be, appointing big names will always disrupt that because they want their own way with transfers. Plus
The last 5 appointments don’t seem to have given us any identity so it looks like either Brands isn’t very good at his job or he doesn’t have the overall say on who’s brought in

Help me what boxes does he tick beyond "name", "cv", and " experience"? Because whilst I accept he WAS a good manager, I would say his recent record is poor relegation and a 13th and a 10th at Newcastle alongside failure in China. There is a reason he is desperate for our job because he is a washed up irrelevance with the top clubs. We need to implement an identity how many times can we say it a big name manager won't solve our issues certainly not one who has disrespected the club and will forever be a red legend?! His appointment would be toxic and very short term again... While clubs like Leicester, Villa and Leeds romp away for us in terms of long term plan and identity. I haven't even mentioned the top six.
I'm not advocating for Benitez but his overall record of work would be regarded as more than acceptable to be considered for most jobs. His history is the complicating factor.

He is like Guus Hiddink only 13 years younger. If we went back in time and you had no Liverpool connection, Hiddink would have been considered, in my opinion, a prudent appointment for us now, at a time when our stadium lenders are looking to see a period of stability.

I would have great concerns myself over Benitez' motivation for the job and would much prefer someone who needs to succeed for the sake of their career. That's my problem with Benitez.

I can see the appeal though on other levels, which when considered in the round, make it understandable that he is in the running. We have a British-Iranian owner with an Uzbek-Russian backer who probably don't give a flying one that he managed Liverpool or called us a small club.

There has been some speculation that Usmanov in particular feels that the club needs to be shocked out of its present stupor and this may be one way of achieving that in his eyes.

I'd appoint Benitez over Nuno every day, but I wouldn't appoint him at all in an ideal world, he wouldn't need to be considered. The fact he is available, the state we are in, and the fact it seems to be a difficult time to appoint anyone of credibility at all, not to mention Ancelotti's betrayal, have brought us to this point.

I doubt it, and to be honest, if he rejected us out if hand it would be better in the long run for us than Ancelotti bailing out after 18 months.

Someone like Conte could easily take the coin on offer here and keep one eye on his next job, be that in 6 months or 2 years.

It wouldn't matter how well or otherwise he did. His record is already established and we are long past the point where failure at Everton is considered a permanent black mark for your career, the narrative now is that failure is almost inevitable regardless, and you end up better off than when you started.
Appointing a manager is a double edge sword. Apooint an Ancleotti or Conte type figure and if massive CL clubs come calling they could be off in 18 months, thats the narrative anyway. Appoint a Howe/Potter type and they could be sacked in 18 months if we have a season in the bottom half and that doesnt improve the following season.

So it could be the same either way, why gamble on a an manager who has only spent time in the lower reaches of the league or go and get the best you can. Not all top managers are snakes like CA, besides Chelsea dont do too badly having new managers every 2 years! In the last 10 years they have won 2x Champions Leagues, 2x Europa Leagues, 2x Premier Leagues, 2x FA Cups and the EFL Cup. 9 trophies in 10, how many managers? 9, Villas-Boas, Di Matteo, Benitez, Mourinho, Hiddink, Conte, Sarri, Lampard & Teuchel.

My point is we shouldnt accept failure as "needing a rebuild" and giving failing managers time. We got to get the best we can, they may get taken but you will get money for them instead of paying to sack managers.....

We should be all in for Conte and give him anything he wants, he has proven his way wins! Our way does not........

Unfortunately you are completely wrong.

RM has been handed possibly the most talented group of players in World Football or certainly in the top three.
He hasn't won anything with them, nor will he.
I feel he will be gone from Belgium after this competition and let's see what football club takes him on.

Certainly I hope it won't be us.

This narrative needs to stop! It's daft.

He has been involved in ONE competition with Belgium! (currently two at the Euros)

There are plenty of things to point out his weaknesses. Not having a 100% record of winning World Cups and competitions he was not managing them in is not one of them.

Appointing a manager is a double edge sword. Apooint an Ancleotti or Conte type figure and if massive CL clubs come calling they could be off in 18 months, thats the narrative anyway. Appoint a Howe/Potter type and they could be sacked in 18 months if we have a season in the bottom half and that doesnt improve the following season.

So it could be the same either way, why gamble on a an manager who has only spent time in the lower reaches of the league or go and get the best you can. Not all top managers are snakes like CA, besides Chelsea dont do too badly having new managers every 2 years! In the last 10 years they have won 2x Champions Leagues, 2x Europa Leagues, 2x Premier Leagues, 2x FA Cups and the EFL Cup. 9 trophies in 10, how many managers? 9, Villas-Boas, Di Matteo, Benitez, Mourinho, Hiddink, Conte, Sarri, Lampard & Teuchel.

My point is we shouldnt accept failure as "needing a rebuild" and giving failing managers time. We got to get the best we can, they may get taken but you will get money for them instead of paying to sack managers.....

We should be all in for Conte and give him anything he wants, he has proven his way wins! Our way does not........
Absolutely spot on that.

I'm not advocating for Benitez but his overall record of work would be regarded as more than acceptable to be considered for most jobs. His history is the complicating factor.

He is like Guus Hiddink only 13 years younger. If we went back in time and you had no Liverpool connection, Hiddink would have been considered, in my opinion, a prudent appointment for us now, at a time when our stadium lenders are looking to see a period of stability.

I would have great concerns myself over Benitez' motivation for the job and would much prefer someone who needs to succeed for the sake of their career. That's my problem with Benitez.

I can see the appeal in though on other levels, which when considered in the round, make it understandable that he is in the running. We have a British-Iranian owner with an Uzbek-Russian backer who probably don't give a flying one that he managed Liverpool or called us a small club.

There has been some speculation that Usmanov in particular feels that the club needs to be shocked out of its present stupor and this may be one way of achieving that in his eyes.

I'd appoint Benitez over Nuno every day, but I wouldn't appoint him at all in an ideal world, he wouldn't need to be considered. The fact he is available, the state we are in, and the fact it seems to be a difficult time to appoint anyone of credibility at all, not to mention Ancelotti's betrayal, have brought us to this point.
That’s the issue mangers don’t need to succeed for the sake of their career you only have to look at 3 of our last 3 to see what failure gets you in that profession

The last 5 appointments don’t seem to have given us any identity so it looks like either Brands isn’t very good at his job or he doesn’t have the overall say on who’s brought in
Maybe a bit of both but mostly the last one. Moshiri is ultimately picking the managers.

Difference is Chelsea are very well run. Give their dof a lot of power over recruitment and lastly they buy the best players because of where they have been in the league, what they have won and the funds they can do that and can slot top coaches in and out. We are not in that position. We have a Frankenstein squad.

But take the point all appointments are a gamble I just think Rafael is toxic from the off... And we desperately need a period of stability it wouldn't be that.

I don't think we are ready for Conte yet. He likes to go into a boss team and get loads of money to get even more boss players.

We can not offer the first part and the second part is debatable too. To get and keep a manager like him or indeed Ancelotti we need instant success. If we kept up our form from earlier last season and came top 4 lets say, maybe backed him with some proper additions in January would Ancelotti still be here? Quite possibly. This big names don't want to put the legwork in to get the success, understandable really.

Inappropriate Language
I think the idea that Benitez is a stable option is laughable to be honest. Falls out with owners of every single club he has been at. Steve Bruce has given Newcastle stability... Benitez was anything but stable there.

F***ing bankers deciding what is good or not football wise for a football club

I can see the appeal though on other levels, which when considered in the round, make it understandable that he is in the running. We have a British-Iranian owner with an Uzbek-Russian backer who probably don't give a flying one that he managed Liverpool or called us a small club.

I understand it from that point of view I just disagree it's a good idea and also think we need to modernise as a club if we want to compete long term with even the teams I mention never mind the top six.

That’s an issue with me giving a manager what ever he wants that really worked well with Koeman ,top managers get very well paid it would be nice to get a manager who actually wants to come here to try their best to awaken this sleeping (comatosed) giant and not because we had to bribe them just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back