New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats fair, and if it comes down to style and preference, then so be it.

But I just don't think I'd hold that grudge for that comment and for his fairly passive relationship with them that he had. Some still like him for the CL, but he took over that team part way through the season and they were their usual poxy selves to get that result. It could've been anyone, and they should've lost it.

A large proportion of their fans including most that I know, hated him and wanted him gone long before he left, but he has regularly talked about his love for the city and the people, including Everton fans, and does seem to a be quite a genuine man who is well liked by many. The fact he would even consider managing here suggests he is not the died in the wool, bitter red that some believe him to be.

A lot of fans often take pride in the story of welcoming Shankly at Bellefield after he was shunned and ignored by those miserable ungrateful barstewards and how fondly he remembered us later in life.

We get this reputation of being bitter, not because we are, but because its the only comeback they have when it's pointed out how privileged and fortunate they have been over the years, and how their complete lack of grace, both in winning and losing emanates from their very pores. It helps us spot them a mile off.

I don't believe he is 1st choice for us, and nor do I think he should be. But if he ends up here, I'll support him and hope he ends up embracing us and hating them when they show themselves in their true form.
All good points
It does seem he'd be too much hassle from the start when the club the team and the fans need to focused on getting out of mid table mediocrity.
Like you if he does end up with us I'd support him and give him as much time as I would give another manager to sort this crowd out.
One good thing about him is he sees the players as employees with a job to do and likely wouldn't tolerate the going through the motions nonsense, and won't be blowing smoke up em making claims like Coleman is like Ramos, DCL like Inzaghi, Gylfi and Schevcenko top pen takers of all players he's managed, Richy Ball'on d'or, Super League is bad etc.

3iazzk.webp

All good points
It does seem he'd be too much hassle from the start when the club the team and the fans need to focused on getting out of mid table mediocrity.
Like you if he does end up with us I'd support him and give him as much time as I would give another manager to sort this crowd out.
One good thing about him is he sees the players as employees with a job to do and likely wouldn't tolerate the going through the motions nonsense, and won't be blowing smoke up em making claims like Coleman is like Ramos, DCL like Inzaghi, Gylfi and Schevcenko top pen takers of all players he's managed, Richy Ball'on d'or, Super League is bad etc.
Yeah, that's a good point. At first, I appreciated that approach from Carlo. I liked the idea of cajoling players and making them feel confident and loved. Sometimes it gets you that bit extra out of them, especially when they have been so lacking before. Ive always believed in the arm around the shoulder approach rather than the criticise them to prove you wrong style. Something that often bothered me about Moyes, especially as it never appeared to be even across the board and often seemed cruel or unwarranted. Koeman falls into that camp too.

But some of the things Carlo came out with made Martinez sound Conservative. He'd rather have Sigurdsson taking a last minute pen than anyone he'd ever worked worth? Seriously? He's missed several while he's been here, often with no added pressure.

Theres nothing wrong with a bit of discipline though, and I think it is something that has been missing a little since Moyes left.

So if we sign Galtier before July 1st, we pay compo, if not on a free...maybe thats why we are waiting

edit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I’ve posted favourably about Potter, but I have to agree that Christophe Galtier would be the dream appointment. He has performed miracles at every club he’s ever managed at, in particular Lille.

To take Lille from 18th place to FIRST place (ahead of the superstars of PSG, no less!) in the space of a few years is one of the great sporting achievements of the last decade.

Would he come here, though?
More chance of me marrying Taylor Swift than us getting Galtier lad.

I also read he has left Lille, but some posters previous pages claim hes still under contract...
I dont know how it works legally, but he resigned from Lille, I assume they still hold some sort of legal hold on to him due to his contract, if they have any sense they would have declined his resignation and put him on "gardening leave" and still paying him.

But I have no idea to be quite honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back