New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No Carlo's was not. Maybe you can argue Milan was, but the Chelsea side he took over was a year removed from a CL final, Bayern is Bayern and Real Madrid was a recent title winner with a top 5 player all time at his apex in the team. Conte's rebuilding of Inter and Juve far exceeds any of that.

Nuno got Europe once with Wolves and his style of play will not be doing better than 6th or so. It's stability but is stable mediocrity good enough? For me the pick needs to have more upside if we're taking that approach.

I think there are guys I'd take over Conte but it just isn't Nuno.

Nuno is not comparable to Conte, iv e said that, but to be fair Nuno got Wolves into Europ twice in the last three years. I just want a manager to stay more than 18 months, I don't think Conte will do that, I highly doubt he'll come anyway.

This is precisely it. People claiming "Conte will only leave us after 18 months" seem to be labouring under the notion that:

1. Everton wouldn't sack a manager who has underperformed after 18 months
2. Any manager who "we could keep" is clearly not good enough to interest the clubs we are trying to join at the top table, so why would he be good enough for us and why would we want to keep him?

If a manager hasn't improved us after two full seasons, he is not going to. The game has changed. The average tenure is 18 months. The key is not to "keep the manager", it is to have the financial means to get rid of him if required or replace a poached manager with somebody of similar ilk. In that sense, lose Carlo, get Conte makes perfect sense. Lose Carlo, get Nuno means we had no real plan for Carlo other than bragging about getting a kiss from the loveliest girl on the dancefloor.

Klopp didn't pull any trees up with Liverpool the first two years.

Klopp didn't pull any trees up with Liverpool the first two years.
Chemistry requires time...

But in all seriousness, he took them to the Europa League final in his first season and into the CL in his second. He improved them plenty.

Conte great manager though he is, would be much the same as Ancelotti, another short term, quick fix, that drops his drawers, when the first CL team come calling. Don't you think we need some stability after five managers, five years of mayhem ? Never going to happen is it.
I don’t think Conte will come, but he was close to Spurs. I’m not sure they’re a much bigger pull than us at the moment.

But I’m sure Moshiri has asked the question to conte and his people. I wonder if moshiri, who by the looks of it wanted this high profile name who could attract big player like James. To not just try and get us champions league football but to help get our name out there. Which has worked a little bit I suppose with this American tournament this summer . With Arsenal and the Italian champions. All geared for the South American market.

And Conte will carry that on. He will attract big names. Maybe he wants to see if we can have a go fir the next few years, before we get to BMD

Nuno is not comparable to Conte, iv e said that, but to be fair Nuno got Wolves into Europ twice in the last three years. I just want a manager to stay more than 18 months, I don't think Conte will do that, I highly doubt he'll come anyway.
He got them Europe once. He got 7th twice but 7th doesn't guarantee Europe.

If Conte did come buckle up for the ride and get ready for a spending spree hopefully. Not sure who it will be me, just don't think it's Nuno

Not Conte.
He would be here for a season and leave a trail of devastation.
Although I agree he'd probably jump to an elite club if asked, I also firmly believe he'd have us playing much better and wouldn't stand for our lot coasting. Still doubt it will be Conte either.

Interesting day. Seems NES playing hardball and/or exaggerating the extent of progress in discussions through his own contacts.

Definitely think there is a narrowing window beyond which he will drop out if not appointed. If they aren't inclined to accomodate his demands, they are not sold on him.

After that, it could be anyone. We have had Allardyce and Ancelotti here.

I think I said as much yesterday and earlier today, I just sensed something is not quite right. King's comments yesterday were bizarre- along the lines of "well Everton better hurry up or he will re-think"- it just felt like major back peddling to me and a complete none answer to the question of "has Nuno been agreed". It was a long way from the "Nuno is here" message and I was thinking, why would it be on the club to agree to convince him if it was all done?

Status
Not open for further replies.